2014 Winter Testing - General

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: Winter Testing 2013/14

Jonnycraig wrote: And we don't know what caused it to fail. For all we know, it was punctured exciting the final corner. But still, carry on .
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111915

The tire was a prototype that had never been on a track. Honestly I don't know what Pirelli was thinking, before you give a tire to a client who is helping you out, you should probably do some basic testing in-house to make sure it's safe.
197 104 103 7

theformula

Good thing it was only a prototype tyre, though it still is worrying. They can't have these things happening with the actual tyres next year, especially at 200mph.
Having said that, I can't for the life of me understand why pirelli didn't have the balls to say to the FIA - If you want us to be suppliers in 2014, then we are going to have no more than a one stop race especially with the demands of the new cars. This way, they can minimise the risks of any embarrassments in the form of tyre failures. I mean it's not as if there are any other competitors that were going to undercut pirelli had they said that. Michelin looked to be the only threat, and they specifically said to the FIA that they will not supply tyres like pirelli have in the past AND were going to have 18 inch rims...
I mean, am I completely missing the point here?!
Hamilton's blessed with an ability to make a car do pretty much anything he wants - Mark Hughes

Joie de vivre

I don't know why people complain about tire failure. You are aware that they are TESTING it, right? That is the purpose of test!

dans79

Joie de vivre wrote:I don't know why people complain about tire failure. You are aware that they are TESTING it, right? That is the purpose of test!
It's not that the tire failed, it's the circumstances around the failure. they gave a tire that's never been on track to a "customer" and then let them run it up to full speed. I'm Very familiar with product development and empirical research. The tires should have gone through lab tests, then through a series of increasingly more severe in house track test using Pirelli's test car. Only after that should they have been handed over to the customer for testing.
Last edited by dans79 on 19 Dec 2013, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

Holm86

Joie de vivre wrote:I don't know why people complain about tire failure. You are aware that they are TESTING it, right? That is the purpose of test!
Get yourself together! Yes it is a tire test. A test to see how the tires perform!! Not to see if they suddenly blows up at over 300 km/h or not.!! Those things can be tested in machines at their test facility.

Having a tire blow out at 320 km/t is just as dangerous under testing as it is during a race.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yes I'm sure they just threw together some rubber and didn't do any testing in the factory...
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

lio007

at least one RBR photo of the bahrain test
https://twitter.com/PeterDWindsor/statu ... 7216698368

dans79

Owen.C93 wrote:Yes I'm sure they just threw together some rubber and didn't do any testing in the factory...
If you read the link I posted above you will see they only tested that specific model in the lab, the first time it actually saw a track was when it was on Rosbergs car.......
197 104 103 7

Gridlock

So it's OK for F1's tyre manufacturer not to be able to guarantee the safety of every tyre they ask a driver to run?

Got it.

lebesset
lebesset

Gridlock wrote:So it's OK for F1's tyre manufacturer not to be able to guarantee the safety of every tyre they ask a driver to run?

Got it.
how do you guarantee the safety of a prototype ?
just demonstrates what pirelli have said all along .....lab testing is not enough
unless I am mistaken this is a pirelli test and they invited all the teams to take part , some did , some didn't ..but they all knew this was to test prototypes , a suitable car is not available to pirelli to run themselves , even 2013 cars are not ideal

albereto was killed doing testing on the same michelin tyres already used at le mans when one failed ...--- happens; there are no guarantees in this business ...or any other come to that
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

astracrazy
astracrazy

we need to get off this pirelli bandwagon

while the tyre failure is a concern i think its important everyone remembers that it was a prototype and realise that isn't just restricted to the tyres

the f1 cars themselves are prototypes and are designed and tested in factories and no one will know the true outcome until the car hits the tracks. Its really not that much different. Parts have failed on cars in the past

motorsport is dangerous....

mkable1370
mkable1370

astracrazy wrote:we need to get off this pirelli bandwagon

while the tyre failure is a concern i think its important everyone remembers that it was a prototype and realise that isn't just restricted to the tyres

the f1 cars themselves are prototypes and are designed and tested in factories and no one will know the true outcome until the car hits the tracks. Its really not that much different. Parts have failed on cars in the past

motorsport is dangerous....
Sorry, but on-vehicle tire tests are supposed to be about evaluating and comparing tyre construction and compounds under race conditions to select the best tyre for the application. On-vehicle tests SHOULD NOT be about evaluating whether a given tire will catastrophically FAIL in race conditions.

This blow-out at speed during winter test just revives everyone's memories of how tyres in 2013 were a joke. We hear everywhere about how conservative Pirelli will be with 2014 tires, but the Rosberg blow-out weighs heavily against that.

kalinka
kalinka

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBO2l5M35g0[/youtube]

According to this video , the prototype tyres are subjected to extensive lab-testing before first use. That involves speed test at 450kph. So Rosberg's tyre was probably tested before at lab, but failed due to some manufacturing error, or it could really be some debris on track. We don't know yet nothing about the cause of the incident didn't we? I hate these tyres and hate the way Pirelli handles the situation, but we have to be more realistic IMO.

timbo
timbo

kalinka wrote:So Rosberg's tyre was probably tested before at lab, but failed due to some manufacturing error, or it could really be some debris on track. We don't know yet nothing about the cause of the incident didn't we? I hate these tyres and hate the way Pirelli handles the situation, but we have to be more realistic IMO.
Well, I can't remember a single catastrophic failures like that with Bridgestones. Even when they developed a puncture the tyre failure was sort of gradual. There's something particular about tyre construction of Pirellis which make them fail at once.

Shrieker

Agreed Timbo. IMHO Pirelli's technology isn't sufficient for F1.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk