Pirelli 18 inch tyres - visualization

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

Personally I think they would look the best with something of a compromise such as 16 inch rims. Just my opinion though.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Re: Pirelli 18 inch tyres - visualization

They look silly. Maybe with a different wheel design it would become acceptable...

bdr529

George-Jung wrote:If I am correct they are also looking at 18" rims due to the fact that Michelin would only comeback to F1 if they changed the 13" rims... Also look at LMP1
You are correct my good man, they said that a few years ago, and with what Michelin has done in resent years at LeMans I can't see their stance changing anytime soon

Belatti
Belatti

The Pirelli justification is what I do not uderstand. They said current cars use 18 inch rims, but at least in my country the small cars use 13 inch and medium size cars use 15 or 16 inch rims.

Only the people who does car (un)tunning :sick: use more than 17 inch rims
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

Belatti wrote:The Pirelli justification is what I do not uderstand. They said current cars use 18 inch rims, but at least in my country the small cars use 13 inch and medium size cars use 15 or 16 inch rims.

Only the people who does car (un)tunning :sick: use more than 17 inch rims
That's who they are aiming this marketing effort at though, isn't it? People who buy Pirelli and Michelin tires are not purchasing them to commute on them to work in their econobox I suspect. They are advertising their product to exactly who you are talking about, the people who are willing to spend thousands of dollars more on a set of tires.

stefan_
stefan_

I took a few days to let the 18" wheels idea sink in a bit. In my oppinion the leap from 13" to 18" is too big and visually it looks a bit odd - not ugly, but odd - at least on a current F1 car. I think it would have been a better idea to jump at 15" rather than 18".
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

jayeshrc
jayeshrc

I think once the dust settles this will be a good thing; I remember reading that michelin and bridgestone didnt want to get into F1 because of the 13" tyres. Now that that's changing, maybe we could see competing suppliers or at the very least the sport wont be hanging by a thread that is pirelli to supply tyres.

I remember Michelin had inter tyres for LeMans that didnt have tread on them (basically still looked like slicks)- some new tech stuff that the drivers were raving about and i think McNish in 2013 said "I dont know how it works, but it does".. Stuff like that would be awesome and could even lead to more development and come to road cars in some way - may not be a direct transfer but still, an improvement is an improvement.

zioture
zioture

18 INCH TIRES PIRELLI F1 TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

Read https://translate.google.it/translate?s ... t=&act=url

GSBellew
GSBellew

Holm86 wrote:I would much rather see wider rims and tires, than larger rim diameters.
I'd rather see more freedom for the teams to choose what they want to run, but I don't think that's going to happen any time too soon.

FW17

What are the LMP Michelin tyre sizes

aerodynamicist

why 18inch tyre slower than 13inch ?

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

aerodynamicist wrote:why 18inch tyre slower than 13inch ?
I'll just address the acceleration part of 'slower.'

As previously posted, the rotational inertia of the wheel and tire varies as the square of the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. The 18" wheel will have its rim ~1.38 times as far away from the axis or ~1.9 times as much inertia if the mass was the same. But the rim also has more mass because of the larger diameter (by 18/13), so the total increase in inertia is ~2.6 times as much. This increased inertia of the wheels and tires means that more energy must be expended to accelerate them to 60 mph, thus leaving less of the maximum available to accelerate the rest of the car.

Years ago I did a calculation guesstimate of the reduction in 0-60 time for a Mini Cooper S in going from ~ 50lb. stock wheels and tires (!!!) to ~39lb. wheels and tires. With the wheels and tires the same size, the inertia ratio was ~ just linear at 50/39 ~1.28. The guesstimate was an ~.2sec reduction, which is what was achieved on track.

So, with the large number of accelerations in an F1 lap, I'd expect a massive increase in the acceleration time over a lap. (Yes, there will be an offsetting reduction, perhaps, from better cornering.)

Andres125sx

I´m very surprised some people doesn´t like 18 inches tyres for F1.... didn´t expect it.

To me, big rims with low profile tyres is the obvious choice for anything built to go fast. That´s what 100% of car manufacturers do, and they don´t have any rule or limitation, they can use what they want

And I could also link pictures to any racing car, WTCC, DTM, even WRC use low profile tyres. It´s only single seaters that follow F1 style who use those fat tyres

Small rims with big profile tyres remind me this

I´ve never liked big profile tyres for F1, never understood the reason for them
Last edited by Andres125sx on 18 Jul 2014, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Andres125sx wrote:To me, big rims with low profile tyres is the obvious choice for anything built to go fast. That´s what 100% of car manufacturers do, and they don´t have any rule or limitation, they can use what they want
That would be assuming that engineering drives those choices. They don't. Marketing does.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Andres125sx

Jersey Tom wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:To me, big rims with low profile tyres is the obvious choice for anything built to go fast. That´s what 100% of car manufacturers do, and they don´t have any rule or limitation, they can use what they want
That would be assuming that engineering drives those choices. They don't. Marketing does.
So it´s engineering who did the choice for current F1 tyres, not an old rule from an era where suspensions where miles away from current suspensions.

And you´re saying all flagships from any supercar manufacturer could perform better with big profile tyres, but they use low profile tyres only because of marketing....

Are you serious?