2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
carisi2k

Re: 2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

iotar__ wrote:
carisi2k wrote:The difference between 2015 and 2016 is that the 2016 Renault/Tag Heuer is not running at a 100hp deficit to anything with a Mercedes or Ferrari engine anymore and so even if a Williams or Force India somehow manage to get in front of a Red Bull. The RB12's superior slow speed performance, especially out of slow corners should see it able to use the DRS along the straights and then stay ahead.
Two races ago in Russia Red Bull's "best chassis" was 1,7 s behind Mercedes, explain that please and no, drivers didn't gain speed and talent in the meantime, it's called quicker car and less competition. Perhaps this popular chassis championship is a rather pointless exercise and others factors exist (tyres for example).
Russia was 3 races ago now and Red Bull had an engine that was 60hp down on a circuit that requires top end speed because of long straights with high speed corners. In China which is a circuit with slow and mid speed corners and straights, the Red Bull was only 0.6sec down on the Mercedes with an engine 60hp down.

In Barcelona the Red Bull was just under 7/10ths slower then pole with an engine 60 hp down. In Monaco with an engine people have been saying is 20-30hp down the Red Bull was on pole by 0.1 of a second. In Canada, Red Bull will again have a car that is only 20-30hp down on a circuit that has slow speed corners and straights.

I honestly think it will be a really close race at Canada between Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull with Mercedes to be at the top. But don't be expecting a 1.7 second gap between Mercedes and Red Bull like what occurred in Russia. If the engine upgrades and Ferrari's new nose works then expect a small half a second gap (maybe slightly more) covering pole to 5th or 6th place if Kimi can pull his finger out.

giantfan10
giantfan10

iotar__ wrote:
carisi2k wrote:The difference between 2015 and 2016 is that the 2016 Renault/Tag Heuer is not running at a 100hp deficit to anything with a Mercedes or Ferrari engine anymore and so even if a Williams or Force India somehow manage to get in front of a Red Bull. The RB12's superior slow speed performance, especially out of slow corners should see it able to use the DRS along the straights and then stay ahead.
Two races ago in Russia Red Bull's "best chassis" was 1,7 s behind Mercedes, explain that please and no, drivers didn't gain speed and talent in the meantime, it's called quicker car and less competition. Perhaps this popular chassis championship is a rather pointless exercise and others factors exist (tyres for example).
Come on you're ruining the red bull hype fest..Dont let facts get in the way.
Ferrari was 1 full second faster than red bull in sochi also so ,excuse my confusion when Renault announces an expected 5 tenths improvement for their engines and after some fuzzy math the internet says red bull has jumped Ferrari and will challenge Mercedes.. 1.00 - 0.50 = 0.50 right? And 1.70 - 0.50 =1.20 right?
Can someone please explain why the supposed 5 tenths is accepted as fact and how red bull erases the rest of the deficit they have to Ferrari and then Mercedes?

dans79

giantfan10 wrote: Can someone please explain why the supposed 5 tenths is accepted as fact and how red bull erases the rest of the deficit they have to Ferrari and then Mercedes?
I put it down to the average fan being a dramaholic with the attention span of a gnat.
197 104 103 7

Webber2011
Webber2011

I have only one question.

Will Vettel throw his toys out of the pram and lose his mind on the radio again ?

He's really turning into the biggest moaner I've seen in the last 3 or 4 races.
He seem to complain about everything.

godlameroso

Bingo side bet action: 3 safety cars, Vettel curses like a sailor, one of the Mercedes will have a problem, Kyvat and Verstappen battle for no.1 crashtor headband, Williams will be Mediocre, Magnussen gets a point. Alonso does miracle with McHonda, Raikkonen gets 1st win with Ferrari.
Saishū kōnā

dans79

godlameroso wrote:Raikkonen gets 1st win with Ferrari.
If he wins, it will not be his first!
197 104 103 7

F1NAC

Webber2011 wrote:I have only one question.

Will Vettel throw his toys out of the pram and lose his mind on the radio again ?

He didn't complain in Monaco but did complain in Spain with right reason. Ricciardo complained at Monaco... All drivers are doing that

Andres125sx

giantfan10 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
Come on you're ruining the red bull hype fest..Dont let facts get in the way.
Ferrari was 1 full second faster than red bull in sochi also so ,excuse my confusion when Renault announces an expected 5 tenths improvement for their engines and after some fuzzy math the internet says red bull has jumped Ferrari and will challenge Mercedes.. 1.00 - 0.50 = 0.50 right? And 1.70 - 0.50 =1.20 right?
Can someone please explain why the supposed 5 tenths is accepted as fact and how red bull erases the rest of the deficit they have to Ferrari and then Mercedes?
Not sayint that´s the case, but it might be that they´re doing chasis/aero compromises to compensate their poor PU, similar to McHonda, so with an upgraded PU they might improve 5 tenths on the PU side, plus some other tenths on the chasis side

Andres125sx

No way, you´re talking about the biggest team player on the grid.... or that´s what some people think at least :mrgreen:

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Andres125sx wrote:

No way, you´re talking about the biggest team player on the grid.... or that´s what some people think at least :mrgreen:
With the current Ferrari situation carrying on, I don't think Vettel will stay at Ferrari as long as Alonso did.

godlameroso

dans79 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Raikkonen gets 1st win with Ferrari.
If he wins, it will not be his first!
It's been so long :cry: Ok his first win with Ferrari in 7 years.
Saishū kōnā

f1316
f1316

I actually have a suspicion that the top three cars will be much closer in lap time than they have in a long time - albeit with the established Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull order still prevailing.

It's a short lap here, which tends to bring lap times closer together, and if the Ferrari PU/suspension updates work, this should allow them to get a lot more from their package. Similarly, I don't think a package as strong as the Red Bull's around Monaco will suddenly go back to running with the Williams, but there's also no way they've completely eradicated what was previously a significant power gap to the front.

LionKing
LionKing

Andres125sx wrote:

I don't remember Vettel criticizing Ferrari, do you?
He is much better team player than Alonso for sure...

dren

I heard Mercedes is bringing no PU updates here and spending no tokens. It's estimated that this non-upgrade is worth around 5 tenths a lap. Max will moan more than Vettel; before he crashes. Then he'll frown as the mechanics throw up their hands in disgust - but not quite disbelief. Honda won't score points. Ferrari's only improvement will be no PU turbo fires.
Honda!

godlameroso

=D> :lol:

Question, when was the last boring Canadian GP? Honestly in the last couple of decades I haven't seen a boring one yet I don't think. Which is quite strange as it's almost impossible to pass being there's only 2 real passing opportunities, yet there's always passing and intense battles. There's no thrilling high speed turns but all the drivers love it. It's location ensures crazy and unpredictable weather. Then you have the super short pit lane which gives you more flexibility for strategy given the unpredictable nature of the track surface itself. And of course the crazy fans.
Saishū kōnā