2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kaluh McLaren
Kaluh McLaren

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Any news that are actually about the F1 McLaren team for 2022? I understand the importance to talk about the future but maybe there should be a different thread for that. I could see why we’re talking about about Audi, Porsche and Volkswagen in here. But viability of EV cars in countries sounds more like a different forum discussion.

diffuser

Jolle wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:43
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:38
Jolle wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:22

So, what if, South Africa (I know it’s quite difficult under the current regime) instead of doing nothing (what is out of the question with the power cuts), invested in a new, green (my guess there is enough sun and space for solar power) power grid which not only can handle EV’s but also use their advantages in that 21-century solution.
It’s just a matter of when in the technological cycle a country is at the moment… For example, most countries in Latinamerica will not be able to make a switch to full EV’s in the short term, their infrastructure isn’t there to support it, not to consider that the average income wouldn’t allow a massive migration towards EV’s
And that’s why, in those countries there is no rule that ICE cars can’t be sold after 2030… it’s just in counties where it’s possible.
Just a note here that a Hydrogen (FCEV) is a EV but not a BEV. So they could add hydrogen pumps to their gas stations and use those. Most brand makes FCEV, not VW. Although they say that large scale hydrogen production is still 10 years away.

Jolle
Jolle

diffuser wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 22:42
Jolle wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:43
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:38

It’s just a matter of when in the technological cycle a country is at the moment… For example, most countries in Latinamerica will not be able to make a switch to full EV’s in the short term, their infrastructure isn’t there to support it, not to consider that the average income wouldn’t allow a massive migration towards EV’s
And that’s why, in those countries there is no rule that ICE cars can’t be sold after 2030… it’s just in counties where it’s possible.
Just a note here that a Hydrogen (FCEV) is a EV but not a BEV. So they could add hydrogen pumps to their gas stations and use those. Most brand makes FCEV, not VW. Although they say that large scale hydrogen production is still 10 years away.
Most brand made FCEV's, but all but Toyota and Hyundai abandoned their car's in favour for BEV's. All of them were solutions for the strict law's of California. Outside of California there is almost no infrastructure. As long as I can remember hydrogen power cars are always ten years away and they are now further away then even (because all of the makers, except the two above) put all their money on BEV's. Hydrogen power now acts as a red herring for electrification of our network because... "why invest in EV/BEV when we all go hydrogen power anyway". At this point it's very clear, BEV it is.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Kaluh McLaren wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 20:50
Any news that are actually about the F1 McLaren team for 2022? I understand the importance to talk about the future but maybe there should be a different thread for that. I could see why we’re talking about about Audi, Porsche and Volkswagen in here. But viability of EV cars in countries sounds more like a different forum discussion.
You are right, we are veering way off-topic… It’s part of the “black hole” that the winter period is sometimes, there isn’t a lot new information to discuss… Although, we are less than 3 weeks of actually seeing the car for the first time!

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 23:37
Although, we are less than 3 weeks of actually seeing the car for the first time!
Off season feels quick to me this year. Maybe it's because of the reg change, it's keeping me occupied trying to figure it out too?

Kaluh McLaren
Kaluh McLaren

:evil:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Kaluh McLaren wrote:
You are right, we are veering way off-topic… It’s part of the “black hole” that the winter period is sometimes, there isn’t a lot new information to discuss… Although, we are less than 3 weeks of actually seeing the car for the first time!
I read through it all, it is very interesting information but definitely relevant probably two engine regulations as a whole. I understand the whole off-season black hole and I appreciate your positive input about this. I really hope I did not come across as being negative. I’m just eagerly excited to hear more about McLaren in 2022 😬😬

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mostlyeels wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 23:48
SmallSoldier wrote:
Although, we are less than 3 weeks of actually seeing the car for the first time!
Off season feels quick to me this year. Maybe it's because of the reg change, it's keeping me occupied trying to figure it out too?
I believe it also has to do with the season finishing a couple weeks later than usual… Normally the season ends at the end of November, this time we were racing all the way into mid December… In addition, the way the last race went, there was a lot of talk about it so it stayed in our minds for some more time… That’s why it feels shorter (and we are getting older! Every year that passes it seems to be faster than the year before for me).

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Kaluh McLaren wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 00:28
:evil:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Kaluh McLaren wrote:
I read through it all, it is very interesting information but definitely relevant probably two engine regulations as a whole. I understand the whole off-season black hole and I appreciate your positive input about this. I really hope I did not come across as being negative. I’m just eagerly excited to hear more about McLaren in 2022 😬😬
Not at all! We actually did needed someone to bring us back on topic… At least closer to the McLaren topic 😉

I usually try to keep tabs on news related to the team, will make sure to share if anything interesting pops up… But beyond a few “teaser” pics here and there, with so much stability in the team in within seasons (no major changes in organizational structure, same leaders, same drivers, same engine) the amount of meaningful news will be low and the teams in general are avoiding any kind of comment in regards to the 2022 cars (my guess, they are afraid of saying anything that may even give a hint of where they stand)… In the past, there has always been some talk about gains, where were those found, where the focus was, this year total silence 🥺

Emag
Emag

Also, because we are going into a major rule change, we don't know what to expect really.

Normally we could be talking and speculating about continuations and evolutions, but none of that is viable in the current scenario.

Normally, after 2021 it would be safe to assume the team would get closer to the front. But now, expectations are even more "dangerous".

Can't really make any sort of prediction that has a strong leg to stand on. I am afraid given the situation, we just have to wait it out.

I am sure it will get pretty lively from mid February and onwards :D

mclaren111

Jolle wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 19:22
mclaren111 wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 11:25
diffuser wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 17:27

Little off topic response...
On a side note, ICE production for some countries will continue as they don't have the electrical infrastructure for BEV. Countries like India will have problems making BEV work. Not sure if they will continue to use ICE or something else like Hydrogen but BEV isn't a WW solution.

South Africa is another one... We have power cuts (load shedding) across the country on a daily basis...
So, what if, South Africa (I know it’s quite difficult under the current regime) instead of doing nothing (what is out of the question with the power cuts), invested in a new, green (my guess there is enough sun and space for solar power) power grid which not only can handle EV’s but also use their advantages in that 21-century solution.

By law, only the regime can produce power & have produced a couple of solar energy plants but due to mis-management it is also not reliable... There has been some flexibility on this, but will favor mostly just the mining industry. I'm not hopeful for this to be a cost effective solution...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... %20supply.

Also, the areas suited for generating solar power effectively are in the middle of nowhere and over 500km from any major cities. Cable theft is the 4th biggest crime in SA - after rape, carjacking & murder...

I don't see a better future for SA & no change in sight for a long time... :( :(

proteus

I am a bit worried, Mclaren lost another sponsor which was supposed to be a multi year deal, and they havent added any new jet.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mclaren111

proteus wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:52
I am a bit worried, Mclaren lost another sponsor which was supposed to be a multi year deal, and they haven't added any new yet.

Who did they loose ?

ScottR267
ScottR267

mclaren111 wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 12:04
proteus wrote:
26 Jan 2022, 11:52
I am a bit worried, Mclaren lost another sponsor which was supposed to be a multi year deal, and they haven't added any new yet.

Who did they loose ?

_cerber1

Partnership expansion?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

It’s alive!