2013 Australian GP - Albert Park

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tamburello
Tamburello

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

beelsebob wrote:
Mika1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:I don't know, the mercs are super fast over a single lap.
Yes, but they have to improve race pace.
I'm not sure they were so far off as they seemed – remember, they were trying for a 2 stop at aus, and conserving tyres.
...and couldn't do it!

kooleracer
kooleracer

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

beelsebob wrote:
Joie de vivre wrote:I rewatched the race again. It's just unbeleivable how Mercedes dropped behind Vet, Mas, Alo and Rai after just few laps. Are they running with much more fuel than others? With empty fueltank they seem to be quite quick.
I think they were just playing to a different race pace to try and preserve the tyres. Pretty sure they could have gone quicker if they weren't trying to keep everything in good shape.
Indeed i compared the lap times Lewis did and Kimi did on the SS. Lewis started in the 1:33 1:34 and even 1.35. But then 4 laps before the pitstop he upped his pace doing low and mid 33's. So lewis was driving to a lap delta i think. But the second stint was the problem only 11 laps on the medium something definitely went wrong there. I think the cooler temps affected the tires and they maybe started to cold grain. But the Lotus did something remarkable 2 24 laps stints with the mediums. In testing romain grosjean did the same thing in Barcelona 24 laps without any drop off in the same weather conditions. So maybe the Lotus heat up there tires to much, maybe the was Lotus' W03 China one off race. RBR,Ferrari did 3 stops so I'm not worried. Think weather and wrong strategy in hindsight put the Mercedes back.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

I had a Deja vu. The Lotus pace on this cold track remembers me the Merc pace in China 2012. One stop less than others and great speed...
Since then i start to think that good pace on cold tracks is not good at all. It will be interesting to see how Lotus will manage their tires on hot tracks.
Merc has show good managing with the super soft, (which are the colder tires) but the first 2 -3 laps wasn't so good. My thoughts are, that they are very easy on the tires, and couldn't hot em up in the warming lap, but this was colder tire from the two available, so when they warm it up, it works good. The medium tire was the hotter type, and maybe they didn't make it hot enough to make it works...

Mika1
Mika1

k.ko100v wrote:I had a Deja vu. The Lotus pace on this cold track remembers me the Merc pace in China 2012. One stop less than others and great speed...
Since then i start to think that good pace on cold tracks is not good at all. It will be interesting to see how Lotus will manage their tires on hot tracks.
Merc has show good managing with the super soft, (which are the colder tires) but the first 2 -3 laps wasn't so good. My thoughts are, that they are very easy on the tires, and couldn't hot em up in the warming lap, but this was colder tire from the two available, so when they warm it up, it works good. The medium tire was the hotter type, and maybe they didn't make it hot enough to make it works...
At least it's better than we have seen last year.
The boss follows me on twitter.

pocketmoon

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:Lewis did 13 laps (plus 2 or 3 Qually laps) on Super Softs then only 20 laps on his 2nd set of Med with much less fuel on board - wft ? I just don't get this - after the first stint I thought they'd make a two stop work no problem.
Looking at the laptime charts at F1Fanatic it looks like Lewis could have eked a couple more laps out of the SS's

In the end the strategy was neither one thing nor the other; 1st pit was too late for a 3 stop and too early for a 2 stop.

Guisson

by Tamburello » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:50 pm
It's an improved W02. Quick in qualifying but still harsh on its tyres.
Best on tyres:
Lotus
Ferrari/Red Bull
I thought that RB's tyre wear is worse than Ferrari but i could be wrong because of the cold temperature yesterday in Melbourne
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

Tamburello
Tamburello

RB_[Gnx] wrote:
Best on tyres:
Lotus
Ferrari/Red Bull
I thought that RB's tyre wear is worse than Ferrari but i could be wrong because of the cold temperature yesterday in Melbourne
I don't think there's much between them on the mediums, and Vettel cooked his supersofts in qualifying, so was struggling as a result in the first stint. Track position counts for some of the difference on the mediums and Mark did a 30 lap stint on them.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

RB_[Gnx] wrote:
Best on tyres:
Lotus
Ferrari/Red Bull
Actually, as CH points here http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106146, it was only in hands of Vettel that RB9 was eating tires, due to the wrong set-up. Webber was quite competitive. You can clearly see here http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/03/17/2 ... test-laps/ that once in clean air his pace was on par with Lotus and Ferrari and often even faster.

raymondu999

Tamburello wrote:I don't think there's much between them on the mediums, and Vettel cooked his supersofts in qualifying, so was struggling as a result in the first stint. Track position counts for some of the difference on the mediums and Mark did a 30 lap stint on them.
Huh? Webber did a 5-lap supersoft stint, 13 laps on a medium, then 2 20-lap medium stints. I don't see a single 30-lap stint there
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tamburello
Tamburello

raymondu999 wrote:
Tamburello wrote:I don't think there's much between them on the mediums, and Vettel cooked his supersofts in qualifying, so was struggling as a result in the first stint. Track position counts for some of the difference on the mediums and Mark did a 30 lap stint on them.
Huh? Webber did a 5-lap supersoft stint, 13 laps on a medium, then 2 20-lap medium stints. I don't see a single 30-lap stint there
I thought he did a stint from the 20th to 50th laps but you are right probably though it doesn't change anything from the argument really.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:Lewis did 13 laps (plus 2 or 3 Qually laps) on Super Softs then only 20 laps on his 2nd set of Med with much less fuel on board - wft ? I just don't get this - after the first stint I thought they'd make a two stop work no problem.
It got a lot colder which tore the tyres apart.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

kooleracer
kooleracer

pocketmoon wrote:
Looking at the laptime charts at F1Fanatic it looks like Lewis could have eked a couple more laps out of the SS's

In the end the strategy was neither one thing nor the other; 1st pit was too late for a 3 stop and too early for a 2 stop.
Both Lewis and Rosberg got the SS well in the working window. And should have gone longer on the SS. Because the pace was quite good. Really strange decision Lewis was doing his fastest laps on the SS on the last few laps of that stint, I think Lewis could have done 3 or 4 laps easily lewis had no one in front of him Rosberg laps started to rise quicker then lewis's because of turbulence air he was driving in. The should have analysed the situation better.Lewis second stint on medium was really poor after 5 laps he was slower then the last 2 laps he did on 12 laps old SS. Merc had problems switching on the medium. The car got lighter but the times weren't getting quicker. Think there is much more pace to come from the W04. Hope Sepang will show the true pace of the car.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

danielk
danielk

kooleracer wrote:
pocketmoon wrote:

Both Lewis and Rosberg got the SS well in the working window. And should have gone longer on the SS. Because the pace was quite good. Really strange decision Lewis was doing his fastest laps on the SS on the last few laps of that stint, I think Lewis could have done 3 or 4 laps easily lewis had no one in front of him Rosberg laps started to rise quicker then lewis's because of turbulence air he was driving in. The should have analysed the situation better.Lewis second stint on medium was really poor after 5 laps he was slower then the last 2 laps he did on 12 laps old SS. Merc had problems switching on the medium. The car got lighter but the times weren't getting quicker. Think there is much more pace to come from the W04. Hope Sepang will show the true pace of the car.
When they went in to the pitstops im sure i recall seeing a white ring on the inside of Hamiltons tire which looked distinctively like canvas to me. Anyone else see this? I doubt he could of done any longer on them. Im surprised he was still going

windtravels
windtravels

I think Ferraripilots summary is pretty spot on and about all we can deduce about the characteristics of the car at this moment in time.

Melbourne was a bit of a mixed bag for the W04, hopefully we will have a stronger sense of its strengths and weaknesses (and relative competitiveness) after Sepang.

Vasconia

Mika1 wrote:We will know more about the tyre wear of the Merc in Malaysia, but the first stint on the SS was pretty impressive.
I wouldnt use the expression impressive, the fist stint was decent, at least much better than it usually was last season, and if you compare Melbourne 2012 and 2013 the improvement is clear. I can understand why Lewis was so happy, the initial point to develop the car is good but we need more races to confirm this positive impression. The temperatures were relatively cold in Australia, we have to see what happens in Malasya/Bahrein/Barcelona, last season we saw in these races the real problem of the WO3 with tyre degration.

About the race in general, it was quite intensive and interesting, Pirelli is playing a major role in this "new" F1, which is not good but at least races are interesting. Lotus confirmed its excellent use of the tyres and tremendous pace, I was expecting to see RB struggling a little bit but the problems were bigger than expected, which is good for the battle.

I am happy to see Massa returning to his best, Alonso was not happy at all on Sunday morning. :lol:

Mclaren and Williams have serious problems with the cars. :cry:

A "bravo" for Sutil, what a race he did, awesome comeback. =D>