2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

They've said very laptimes sensitive parts, so I'm thinking floor, floor fences and floor edge wing (which are all as of this moment same spec as end of '22 I think??)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 18:46
They've said very laptimes sensitive parts, so I'm thinking floor, floor fences and floor edge wing (which are all as of this moment same spec as end of '22 I think??)
Front wing and floor edge are 2022 spec… So those 2 would be my first bets

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I don't know, I'm personally of the opinion that the upgrade package will be quite comprehensive. The way Stella used the word necessarily twice or so in regards to a B spec. Maybe not wanting to give too much info. Ted Kravitz placed McLaren 8th. It'll be tough.to take at the start, but with the target remaining 4th best at the end of the season.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Lucky
Lucky

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 18:51
organic wrote:
they would have done it faster than to Baku

PhillipM
PhillipM

Well like I said a week or two back, I was already told there's a new race spec floor and FW, so I assume so. And along with the talk about the front tyre aero treatments I'm guessing it's the outwash wings that popped up elsewhere. But, most of that I only heard from one person, so I don't have a seperate source to confirm it or if it's just chatter.

organic

SmallSoldier wrote:
organic wrote:
I was wondering about the front wing.. lots of 'trick' ideas have been shown in the test on various cars. Makes total sense for a fw to come therefore

the EDGE
the EDGE

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 18:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
organic wrote:
I was wondering about the front wing.. lots of 'trick' ideas have been shown in the test on various cars. Makes total sense for a fw to come therefore
From what I understand from the article on the Race, they’ve been working on the new ‘development direction’ for 2 or 3 month, and the current car represents where they were when the stopped developing it, and started on the new package

Presumably that’s why certain aspects of the mcl 60 are last years spec

That means, by the time it hits the track it would have had 4, maybe even 5 months of work.

They say it’s not going to be a B-spec, so I assume that the chassis remains the same, but otherwise I would expect a complete aero re-work from the floor up

They are making too much of it for it just to be upgrades like a new floor edge, or front wing. That’s just normal in-season development. You wouldn’t stop work on designing a new car for that

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

the EDGE wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 19:22
organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 18:57
SmallSoldier wrote:

From what I understand from the article on the Race, they’ve been working on the new ‘development direction’ for 2 or 3 month, and the current car represents where they were when the stopped developing it, and started on the new package

Presumably that’s why certain aspects of the mcl 60 are last years spec

That means, by the time it hits the track it would have had 4, maybe even 5 months of work.

They say it’s not going to be a B-spec, so I assume that the chassis remains the same, but otherwise I would expect a complete aero re-work from the floor up

They are making too much of it for it just to be upgrades like a new floor edge, or front wing. That’s just normal in-season development. You wouldn’t stop work on designing a new car for that
I agree, I think it will be all but a B-Spec
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

UnaF1
UnaF1

Szabi1112 wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 20:33
Venturiation wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 20:26
Emag wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:52
Will Buxton reporting that he saw Lando punch through a wall. Not sure how we should take this, because he does play a key part in dts ...

Either way, it would be such a shame to lose a star driver like Lando. But at the same time, it would be injustice to keep him tied here if McLaren doesn't deliver.
here is the video very sad

What an amateur team we are. Poor Lando he refused Red Bull 2 times. Come on Lando! Leave us! We would like to see you winning WC.
So he can leave then. Noone is bigger than team. Ricciardo was supposed to be the next big thing for us, and what happened? Nothing, we moved on. He wouldn't have even been in the frame if once highly rated Vandoorne wasn't left to play an understudy to Alonso in a dog of a car, and lost the fight.
As I said, noone is bigger than team.

CjC
CjC

Literally he’s smashing walls down in the garage🤣🤣
Just a fan's point of view

McG

Lucky wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 15:32
The relationship between air resistance and contact pressure was already a construction site last year. Even the old MCL36 was not a car for a good compromise. Either it was reasonable in the corners and slow on the straights. Or vice versa. Alpine was one step ahead of the Papaya racer in this discipline.
The new McLaren also generates too much air resistance for the generated downforce. You are not the hit in the curves and yet you put too much surface in the wind on the straights. The GPS data reveals that McLaren has not really made any real progress compared to the fastest in any type of curve.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -verfehlt/
That's a lot if words to say "McLaren high drag". Guess they need to hit their page visit time quota.
F1 is dead.

McG

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 18:02
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 17:36
How do we know that Seidl didn't run to avoid the embarrassment that he must have had a hand in? A long stay with Mclaren could have damaged his reputation, even if Mclaren's results were the result of his own leadership. Surely one can see this angle?

Seidl is highly lauded for his success with the Porsche LMP1 but how do we know he is capable of turning an F1 team around?
No we won’t know, unless you can either read minds or are in Seidl’s most inner circle and he discloses that… We can create any conspiracy theory we want, of course having a rough start to the season feeds a narrative like that.

But we seem to forget when Seidl leaves McLaren or better said, accept Sauber’s proposal… It was before the announcement in December and there at that point in time development of the MCL60 was still in early stages, so the current struggles weren’t part of the decision… Seidl’s move happened quicker because of Binotto’s exit and Vasseur’s move to Ferrari.

The fact that people pushing a narrative in which Seidl leaves because of the early struggles of the MCL60 seem that they purposely want to dismiss that:

- He is getting a CEO role… Not in Sauber but for Audi.
- A CEO role is a big promotion from been Team Principal and is actually the same role that Zak fills in McLaren
- Beyond the role and pay (which probably isn’t anything to laugh at), it can be very exciting to lead a project like Audi’s… A Manufacturer not much different than Mercedes.
Well said. I wish nothing but failure for him and Audi. Hopefully another Toyota, BMW, Honda type of entry.
F1 is dead.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 17:36
How do we know that Seidl didn't run to avoid the embarrassment that he must have had a hand in? A long stay with Mclaren could have damaged his reputation, even if Mclaren's results were the result of his own leadership. Surely one can see this angle?

Seidl is highly lauded for his success with the Porsche LMP1 but how do we know he is capable of turning an F1 team around?
This is where I'm going! It would have been an awful culmination of his years there. Like what happen Andreas?!! Where did it all go wrong?

Andreas seems the type of guy to quietly leave without hinting at his troubles.

People seem to misunderstand where I am going with this. I'm basically suggesting the possibility that the McLaren of Zack Brown might never be a championship winning team. The Focus is too diluted. Anyway back to your scheduled programme!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

BrunoH
BrunoH

least number os laps done, again an issue around the brake area.. cmon they did not learn the first time?
thats a problem.
No real motivation is what i see is the worst thing in the team.

Lando is starting to fume..... and i guess this year we might be in the fight with Williams.
its just a horror show over there.
I do hope im really wrong but seems we will be fighting for the bottom 4, rather then the top 3! bu again when the target is to be number 4, your already planning to be a loser.
As a racing driver myself and a business owner im always planning to be fighting at least for some podiums and wins even if i know its not always possible.
they had a GP2 engine, and now they have a GP2 chassis....

diffuser

genarro wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 17:56
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 16:01
Lucky wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 15:04

He needs to assemble a team now.
This is the thing. The actual team at Hinwill is already there! Unless there will be sweeping job cuts, and I don't see that happening with the type of close-nit culture at Hinwill. The only "team" that Seidl would be building is the same old group of Audi technical heads that are already there from LMP category an the engine guys which are already there too. I have a feeling that Seidl saw the writing on the wall at McLaren - it was clearly a two popes situation and big dilution of focus - and decided there was no point in staying on for 2023.
You need a tin foil hat my friend
I don't think your Seidl decision making idea is accurate. Think it's very simple. Guys he used to work with offered him a promotion from the position he held at McLaren.