Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: Honda Power Unit

The sad thing is, Honda are completely incompetent and look like idiots no matter. If they are top spender, its impressive how much they can --- up that budget, if they are low spender, its impressive how unambitios they are
Logie wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 11:22
It’s an fking turd engine with some fundamental flaws clearly, I’m guessing Honda have one of the highest if not THE highest budget, to keep this form of unreliability it’s shocking.

gofast182
gofast182

First time, long time...

This thread has had a high standard of dialog but the last 4 pages contain a lot of Honda bashing. Honda is certainly ripe for criticism but there are enough mouth-breathers responding to F1 posts on Facebook, at least keep it constructive.

How about timing for the full Spec 3 engine that is now being called Spec 4...

HPD

Could Honda gain any experience with these tests? Check reliability, or improve some mapping?
It's 135 laps.. And more for tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 6260617218

shady
shady

thats nearly two race distances ~595kM.. thats a net positive in my book.

Honda is Honda, we all know what that means, theyll get it and drag mclaren kicking and screaming along the way. This isnt 2008.. They have made misstep after misstep in this new regime, lacking the exp of the 2nd gen team from the 80s, and somehow missing out on leadership from the 00's team (apparently) but its the same spirit, theyll get a motor, they always do in all three previous iterations.. i like everyone else am pessimistic about the clarity of vision, but dont doubt the eventuality of 'success'.

Zynerji

I would have the spec 4 engine mounted in in the IndyCar chassis do in thousands of laps around Watkins Glen. I would call it a rolling dyno.

mrluke
mrluke

makecry wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 22:08
mrluke wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 21:29
Mansell89 wrote:
18 Jul 2017, 21:06
Is there a clear reason why Honda have not powered more than one team in the last couple of years?
McLaren's Ron Dennis explains Red Bull-Honda F1 engine veto
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122033

Which makes the recent article about Merc and Ferrari refusing to supply Mclaren all the more ironic.

Boullier explains McLaren desire for exclusivity
Boullier said. “The truth is, we wanted to work with Honda, Honda wanted to work with us as an official partnership because having an OEM official partner is the only way we believe to be world champion. If you are a customer of an engine manufacturer you can’t be world champion.

“So this is a privilege obviously we found, we brought in to Formula One and we don't want to share. That’s it. But I don’t want to comment any more.”
http://en.f1i.com/news/30984-boullier-e ... ivity.html

Or if we go right back to the start...published May 2013

McLaren expects Honda Formula 1 engine exclusivity for 2015
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has confirmed that McLaren will have exclusive use of Honda Formula 1 engines in 2015 and that other teams may only race with the Japanese units "in due course".

"There is nothing in the regulations to say that an engine manufacturer must supply more than one team, so obviously we are looking forward to an exclusive relationship with Honda."
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107571

April 2014:
According to the F1 business insiders at Pitpass, Honda motorsport chief Yasuhisa Arai told a group of journalists at this past weekend's race in Shanghai that the deal with McLaren will be exclusive not only in 2015, but also in 2016. In other words, it won't be until 2017 at the earliest before Honda might begin supplying engines to any other teams, if at all.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/23/mcla ... f1-report/

The fact that Mclaren appear unable to provide a car that can consistently last a race distance let alone the disaster that was preseason testing exacerbates the already terrible lack of data with which to inform development.
How the hell is that a fact? That's one of the most absurd statements I have read here. McLaren is not perfect, they have had their share of issues but Honda has been the one unable to provide McLaren with a reliable PU that last a race distance and almost every problem has been a direct or indirect consequence of Honda's incompetency.
Driveline oscillations which caused electrical failures were one of if not the main reason for the preseason failures.

Numerous issues with fueling.

Numerous issues with gearboxes.

And that's before we even consider Monaco where both drivers put the car in the wall.

You could argue the oscillations have joint responsibility but the PU worked fine on its own, it was the integration into the chassis that was a failure.

Honda have had their share of problems mostly around the mguh.

Whichever way you want to cut it, it is Mclaren that block Honda supplying other teams. Honda need all the mileage data they can get, Mclaren are not helping.

PhillipM
PhillipM

mrluke wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 18:47
Driveline oscillations which caused electrical failures were one of if not the main reason for the preseason failures.

You could argue the oscillations have joint responsibility but the PU worked fine on its own, it was the integration into the chassis that was a failure.
And equally, the chassis worked fine on it's own. The engine is a stressed member, if it doesn't worked when stressed...

godlameroso

shady wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 18:21
thats nearly two race distances ~595kM.. thats a net positive in my book.

Honda is Honda, we all know what that means, theyll get it and drag mclaren kicking and screaming along the way. This isnt 2008.. They have made misstep after misstep in this new regime, lacking the exp of the 2nd gen team from the 80s, and somehow missing out on leadership from the 00's team (apparently) but its the same spirit, theyll get a motor, they always do in all three previous iterations.. i like everyone else am pessimistic about the clarity of vision, but dont doubt the eventuality of 'success'.
Cooling is much more effective when the track is wet, but yes I agree, more continuous running can only help.
Saishū kōnā

bigblue

So ... what kind of engine is used for these tests ? Must be one not going to be used during the forthcoming races (for obvious reasons). Presumably it'll be a new one ? Is the car this season's car ? Can the engine spec vary from one raced ? (i.e. is it Spec 3, or could it be Spec 3 plus some new items, or maybe Spec 2 plus a new MGU-H etc if there aren't any extra Spec 3 engines ready). Wonder how hard they push as well, must be reasonably hard to deliver the data required, if not 100% all-out ?

Singabule
Singabule

In pirelli testing, teams are not allowed to introduce New parts, chasis, aero, and engine is frozen. They are allowed to use spec that is already introduced in race, all of parts. It means they can use spec 2 and 3 engine and bunch of aeros and suspension that is already introduced in past. Aero Rakes and flowviz is banned too, but setting and mapping is free
Last edited by Singabule on 20 Jul 2017, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

wuzak
wuzak

bigblue wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 20:15
So ... what kind of engine is used for these tests ? Must be one not going to be used during the forthcoming races (for obvious reasons). Presumably it'll be a new one ? Is the car this season's car ? Can the engine spec vary from one raced ? (i.e. is it Spec 3, or could it be Spec 3 plus some new items, or maybe Spec 2 plus a new MGU-H etc if there aren't any extra Spec 3 engines ready). Wonder how hard they push as well, must be reasonably hard to deliver the data required, if not 100% all-out ?
They are not allowed to use development parts in those tyre tests.

I assume it is the same for power units.

GhostF1
GhostF1

The advantage here is, Honda must be getting in A LOT of map work. Each time that car hits the track, the better it gets.

etusch

wuzak wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 03:47
bigblue wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 20:15
They are not allowed to use development parts in those tyre tests.

I assume it is the same for power units.
They do not use from their race engine pool so it must be out of the pool. It may be a new spec 3. At least it is a reliability test for Honda

bigblue

Thanks everyone, makes sense.

HPD

The translation is very complicated, but I think it says that it reached the same level as the PU 2016
Hasegawa: "I thought that it would be able to fight at the same position as last year as a relative performance from the time of introducing spec 3"
The problem of Alonso:
- It is said that the smell of the fuel took place from the car body, there was a problem with the piping from the fuel tank to the engine before the fuel was sent, and it seems that fuel leaked out there. (This sounds dangerous)
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_6.php

-------------------------------------------------

And on other sides ... Vandoorne completed another 117 laps. TOTAL: 252 Laps
https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 4950370304