USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
donskar
donskar

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

richard_leeds wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:Are teams allowed to start the racing season a GP or two late?

No. Going back to the history books....

Before Bernie got hold of F1, teams wouldn't turn up to every race (ie RAM Racing competed at 7 out of 16 races). Not all drivers turned up to every race either (see factoid below). It made it very hard to promote a race if you couldn't say who was going to turn up. Have a read of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FISA-FOCA_war

The first Concorde agreement introduced the commitment that all teams must turn up to all races. AFIK this is still seen a fundamental to the Concorde so a breach would be very serious. They'd have to go cap in hand to ask to be allowed to skip a race. I can imagine Bernie playing hard ball if that happened. On the other hand, F1 is desperate for new teams, so compromise might be arranged.

This scenario has happened in the past with back marker teams asking Bernie and other teams for help. For example, taking an IOU for the centrally provided freight/fuel/tyre costs. The important thing (AFIK) is that they always turned up to the track. In the past, a team not turning up was the death knell and they would very quickly collapse, usually when funders/creditors pulled the plug - sorry I can't think of any explicit examples!

If you can limp your way to each race with no cash, have to beg for tyres and fuel, but do have 2 cars, 2 drivers and enough of a team to change the tyres, then you stay in the club. Anything less and you're out of the club.

If you think about it, a team that doesn't have a car to race would also not have a car to test. I think a team that hasn't turned a tyre on a test track would really struggle to maintain funding to get to the first race. Then the testing ban would really kill their season. They could ask FIA & FOTA to let them have a couple of days testing to catch up ... except a team in that scenario probably couldn't afford the cost of opening a track for an exclusive test (note most test days have several teams running to share the track costs).

----
Factoid:

Taking 1977 as a random pre-Concorde year. Two drivers (Brian Henton and Jean-Pierre Merzaio) raced for 3 different teams that season. Another 5 raced for 2 different teams. Notably, Gilles Villeneuve raced for both McLaren and Ferrari.
Thanks for the informational post. One tiny quibble: I think you mean Arturo Merzario (not Jean-Pierre Merzaio)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

dumrick
dumrick

donskar wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Factoid:

Taking 1977 as a random pre-Concorde year. Two drivers (Brian Henton and Jean-Pierre Merzaio) raced for 3 different teams that season. Another 5 raced for 2 different teams. Notably, Gilles Villeneuve raced for both McLaren and Ferrari.
Thanks for the informational post. One tiny quibble: I think you mean Arturo Merzario (not Jean-Pierre Merzaio)
I think he means Jean-Pierre Jarier, who raced that year for Shadow, Ligier and ATS.
Merzario was stuck with his own reject team for the whole season (and longer...).

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Also to note - the last team to fall foul of the regs for turning up was Arrows in 2002.

They made efforts to turn up and failed to qualify on purpose as this was enough to comply with the regs for competing.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Professor
Professor

Anybody recognize this car?

cooper-climax

Falcon?
Murray: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool."
James: "Well, that should put them out then."

Professor
Professor

Yep. That's the car I thought of when I saw the pic of the "USF1 chassis" this morning. The Falcon was the IRL chassis Anderson was involved with that never raced.

cooper-climax

There's definitely a resemblance, I think Ken just likes things pointy.
Murray: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool."
James: "Well, that should put them out then."

carnalsupply

According to Peter W. USF1 will be ready for 2010, but whether he's talking about a new line of toasters, a new hybrid blender, or god-forbid an F1 car, waits to be seen.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... -be-ready/

BTW - When does the new Kimi "job hunting" video get released?

Giblet
Giblet

carnalsupply wrote:According to Peter W. USF1 will be ready for 2010, but whether he's talking about a new line of toasters, a new hybrid blender, or god-forbid an F1 car, waits to be seen.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... -be-ready/

BTW - When does the new Kimi "job hunting" video get released?
I'm so glad this thread is attracting new users to chime in with the USF1 slamming as well.

This thread can only go uphill now. :roll:
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Professor
Professor

Giblet, some people think this forum is intended to showcase horrible comedic talent. It seems as if people think that repeating the same old tired joke makes them interesting. They are interesting with regard to their sociopathic subgroup: people who only perform to entertain themselves. :shock:

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Have you two forgotten what a little humor is? Lighten up.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Napier
Napier

As much as I would like to see the usf1 team succeed an be competitive I just cant foresee it happening. I guess only time will tell. :lol: BTW, does anyone know if you can visit the usf1 teams factory or rented warehouse from what I gather as I might be done that way soon.

xpensive
xpensive

mx_tifosi wrote:Have you two forgotten what a little humor is? Lighten up.
I'm with you all the way mx. I think that USF1 in general and Windsor in particular, have made themselves the laughing stock of of the F1 world, why they deserve every bit of mocking they get.

And when mocking of the mocking, is so easily traced to the same old embarassing US-flagwaving, so much more fun!
Keep it up newbies!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Roger the knife

xpensive wrote:But xcuse my ignorance, is that really a tub direct from the autoclave, with such a glossy finish to it? Scarbs?
Looking more closely at this picture, and with regard to the comments about the finish, I believe that only the top section in this picture is carbon, the lower section and the nose are not carbon, but probably the bucks for these parts. Suggests USF1 are still along way from having a chassis, and only 40 days to the first test...

Richard
Richard

Roger the knife wrote:
xpensive wrote:But xcuse my ignorance, is that really a tub direct from the autoclave, with such a glossy finish to it? Scarbs?
Looking more closely at this picture, and with regard to the comments about the finish, I believe that only the top section in this picture is carbon, the lower section and the nose are not carbon, but probably the bucks for these parts. Suggests USF1 are still along way from having a chassis, and only 40 days to the first test...
Equally likely is that there is a crease running along the side panel so the light pattern on the upper part is different to the lower part?

I see Windsor has given another interview:
autosport.com wrote: "We've just finished the chassis and are now in the hands of Cosworth."

US F1 is the only of the new teams yet to sign a driver for its debut season, but Windsor said an announcement can be expected in the later part of January.

"We are trying to find the best drivers we can; there's no rush," he said. "We have no date [for car completion]. It's difficult to predict when that date would be.

"However, there will be a moment when we announce the drivers at the factory and that will be some time towards late January."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80647