Exhaust blown diffusers and FIA restrictions/ban

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: BAN on exhaust blowing from this weekend

I smell a hoax somewhere.

Unless there is some specific saftey concern, whitch there hasnt been one so far in the 18 month history of blown diffusers and retarded engine mapping.

I seriously doubt that anything can be taken from this.

You realise that would mean that teams like Williams, Sauber, Team Lotus and STR that dont have a great deal of money arround have just wasted a decent ammount of cash to develop a EBD, not to mention Virgin who have spent a sizeable ammount of their budget to develop one for their car.

If there is a ban, ill eat my words. Just Tewwted a few people that could find out, and are relyable.

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: ...
Could this have its roots in banning flexing wings?
Didn't know flexing wings, or murder for that matter, were ever legal?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Sebp

Mods, please lock this thread until there's some hard evidence to back up the claims. Speculation isn't helping anyone...

FrukostScones

Sebp wrote:Mods, please lock this thread until there's some hard evidence to back up the claims. Speculation isn't helping anyone...
but speculation is fun...!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Leaks happen all the time. Information containment is nearly impossible nowdays, Just ask max! :lol:
beelsebob wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Just a thought.

Could this have its roots in banning flexing wings?
so your diffuser ends up miles off the ground and operating inefficiently, so you can't run the rake angle, so you can't get the front wing on the ground.
Exactly my thoughts. They cant bag em with 3.17 so they find another way.

Still more inclined to think its a hoax... a rather elaborate one!
More could have been done.
David Purley

PlatinumZealot

You have a lot of Fake Mclaren employees all over the internet. There is a popular AtmAndy on Autosport too.. always vague and never right.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Giblet
Giblet

Sebp wrote:Mods, please lock this thread until there's some hard evidence to back up the claims. Speculation isn't helping anyone...
I heard you from the other side of the internet.

Actually, I didn't. Please use the report function instead of clogging threads with moderation requests.

The report button is at the top right of every message and is very quick to use. Sometimes quicker than typing a message.

Half the time when I come on the page in the day I go straight to the Moderation Control Panel to look for reports, then log right back out.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Sebp

Giblet wrote:
I heard you from the other side of the internet.

Actually, I didn't. Please use the report function instead of clogging threads with moderation requests.

The report button is at the top right of every message and is very quick to use. Sometimes quicker than typing a message.

Half the time when I come on the page in the day I go straight to the Moderation Control Panel to look for reports, then log right back out.
Ok, my apologies. I'll do better next time. Still, I think debating rumours is pointless.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The rumour is unsubtantiated but...its out there and there are a few notables who have heard of rumours circulating before this broke.

Scarbs tweet on twitter 3 mintues ago.
"But I did hear a rumour about a limit on exhaust flow on the overrun to reduce the blown effect off throttle. Something like 10-15% of max"
Keep it open please mods..this story may be BS but it is constantly evolving
Last edited by JohnsonsEvilTwin on 17 May 2011, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
David Purley

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sebp wrote: Still, I think debating rumours is pointless.
Then don't. No one is making you come in to this topic and read it / comment on it...

If we locked every thread that someone didn't like there'd be no forum at all!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Renault might take an even bigger hit. I agree it should be banned. But not with 1 weeks notice.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Owen.C93 wrote:I'm pretty sure it's only for qualifying.
Why is that? Both races and quali are effectively competitive. Agree Renault powered teams will suffer more as they are the most evolved on diffuser blowing than any other powerplant.
David Purley

Byronrhys

Mid seasons changes are annoying, they can say it will affect all teams, but they know it was meant for one team specifically.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Right this story appears to be getting more substance....Just read this....
It is in Technical Directive 15 sent to all teams last week. Exhaust blowing is no longer allowed.
Teams are no longer allowed to control the throttle opening when they throttle off - well, max. throttle is limited to 10% when throttle off. Valid immediately as all technical directives.
David Purley

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:I'm pretty sure it's only for qualifying.
Why is that? Both races and quali are effectively competitive. Agree Renault powered teams will suffer more as they are the most evolved on diffuser blowing than any other powerplant.
Actually I changed my mind, I think it's for all times. It will have a bigger effect on qualifying though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)