Exhaust blown diffusers and FIA restrictions/ban

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Caito
Caito

Re: Exhaust blown diffusers and FIA restrictions/ban

Can someone define cold blow please?(jokes aside)

Is it that they inject only air? Air+fuel? Without igniting the mixture? Then the engine is kept rotating by braking the car?
Come back 747, we miss you!!

myurr
myurr

Cold blowing: Air only, no fuel, throttles open, engine turning due to being connected to the rear wheels and the car having momentum. Effectively using the engine as an air pump.

Hot blowing is adding fuel to this mix and retarding the ignition so that near zero torque is generated but the engine still produces large volumes of gas.

Caito
Caito

Much appreciated!
Come back 747, we miss you!!

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

FIA knew what kind of system each engine manufacturer was running and why did they not discuss this before and create confusion now??

I am pretty much guessing that FIA will allow status quo and change things next year

myurr
myurr

n_anirudh wrote:FIA knew what kind of system each engine manufacturer was running and why did they not discuss this before and create confusion now??

I am pretty much guessing that FIA will allow status quo and change things next year
More to the point - the teams have had upwards of six weeks to come up with a workable solution, why is the FIA allowing them to get away with crying now?

Crafty
Crafty

myurr wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:FIA knew what kind of system each engine manufacturer was running and why did they not discuss this before and create confusion now??

More to the point - the teams have had upwards of six weeks to come up with a workable solution, why is the FIA allowing them to get away with crying now?
The Merc dispensation was done a few weeks ago from what I read.
The Renault dispensation was made during FP2 yesterday.
Call me cynical if you like but I reckon RBR pushed renault in to requesting the 50% and made them wait until this weekend to do it so other teams wouldn't have a chance to protest/complain/get changes made.
I think they were/are running scared of the ban because its central to how their car gets its advantage.
Renault could of approached the FIA ages ago, but didn't, instead last week LRGP were testing non front exit exhausts.. why would they do that if they were going to enter a protest to allow the 50% opening?

atanatizante

I think this is pretty f... ridiculous because engines were not allowed to develop for 5 years. As I reckon Renault throw their dummy out of the pram at the end of 2009 and say the engine they made wasn't safe (yet had been used for 3 years) and all of a sudden they bring a new "safer" engine to the table that had around 40 bhp more.
Now they say that because their engine can't cope with over-run they should be allowed a larger throttle open percentage than 10% and they get it 50%!!!
I`m sorry but if their engine is not good enough to have over-run why should the other teams suffer a 40% penalty throttle open position on the Renault engine runners.
RBR (as an example) aren't told to reduce the size of their wings etc because their overall aero package is more affective than the other teams.
In contrast Mercedes runners are being punished for having a better engine.

For the record someone said that 68% hot blowing = 100% cold blowing, so we could say 34% (not 10%, not 20%) hot blowing = 50% cold blowing? :lol:
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Crafty
Crafty

Various changes have been made to engines since 2006 and have been approved by the FIA, so its hard to say the engine hasn't changed since 2006.

The argument is that 50% cold blown = 10% hot blown, at least thats what Horner says, but I don't think anyone can say that is true.

I'm trying to understand the Merc system a little better and have posted a question here : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10352

Crafty
Crafty

FIA have made the announcement, here is a pic: http://yfrog.com/z/kj1bwruj

from what I can read of it I think it basically says "rules are as per the start of the event" - i.e. Renault don't get their 50%.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Last statement" fired over run...will be permitted"??

Crafty
Crafty

n_anirudh wrote:Last statement" fired over run...will be permitted"??
Yeah, thats hot blowing, as per the Merc dispensation (which can apply to all teams).

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

SiLo

I can't believe they would just change the rules because Renault moaned a bit. It should be 10 percent and that's final. I'm pretty sure if they tested, the exhaust valves in the mercedes engine get just as hot as the one in the renault. It's ridiculous.

It reminds me of the stupid rule in red flag conditions about being able to change tyres. It's ruining things for the spectators.
Felipe Baby!

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Well guys, the most important thing is racing.I just want to see good old racing on equal terms..Hope it does not get too political...please not a Indy 05 again...please no [-o<

Crafty
Crafty

SiLo wrote:I can't believe they would just change the rules because Renault moaned a bit. It should be 10 percent and that's final. I'm pretty sure if they tested, the exhaust valves in the mercedes engine get just as hot as the one in the renault. It's ridiculous.

It reminds me of the stupid rule in red flag conditions about being able to change tyres. It's ruining things for the spectators.
If you can find any information on that I'd be interested to read it. Thanks!