Exhaust blown diffusers and FIA restrictions/ban

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sawtooth-spike

Re: BAN on exhaust blowing from this weekend

fenix4life wrote:
Rob01 wrote:I think it's genius and that this is more of an attempt to slow Red Bull. And it will change Red Bull more than any other team as the concept was perfected on it.
We should not forget that 2 years ago the Red Bulls had the best car even without a Double Diffuser. Brawn had to 'cheat' with their double diffuser to be faster.

SO if they remove it fully I'm not sure if Red Bull would be so in trouble if they kept their advantage and design.
Brawn can use the current red bull fans defence that it passes the test so it's not cheating.

Back on topic

If this new ruling is true. It's yet more wasted investment. Great news.

I think we may see some teams move their exhaust due to the issues the blow exausts have If you cant blow them enough off throttle. Possible this might make more teams move to the forward exhausts solution as this is apparently less effected by the rule.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I wonder if FOTA can appeal this last minute ruling? If they want to change a rule, OK but changing it without warning and with cars in transit is total BS.

beelsebob
beelsebob

BreezyRacer wrote:I wonder if FOTA can appeal this last minute ruling? If they want to change a rule, OK but changing it without warning and with cars in transit is total BS.
It's not last minute – the teams were notified after Turkey.

siskue2005

fenix4life wrote:
Rob01 wrote:I think it's genius and that this is more of an attempt to slow Red Bull. And it will change Red Bull more than any other team as the concept was perfected on it.
We should not forget that 2 years ago the Red Bulls had the best car even without a Double Diffuser. Brawn had to 'cheat' with their double diffuser to be faster.

SO if they remove it fully I'm not sure if Red Bull would be so in trouble if they kept their advantage and design.
stopped reading right there, from the bold part! :? :roll:

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

beelsebob wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:I wonder if FOTA can appeal this last minute ruling? If they want to change a rule, OK but changing it without warning and with cars in transit is total BS.
Some evidence please?

And if that is the case I don't expect the pecking order to change significantly, though Mercedes might do a little better since they have little to change.

beelsebob
beelsebob

BreezyRacer wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Some evidence please?

And if that is the case I don't expect the pecking order to change significantly, though Mercedes might do a little better since they have little to change.
Read the earlier links.

Rob01
Rob01

The earlier links were from tweets. Hardly a report. But none the less the teams have known it was being discussed for change.

astracrazy
astracrazy

wtf is wrong with these b*****ds

the thing is its a huge waste of r and d money, going green and all that really fits the mould again doesn't it. lets spend loads of money developing something then the fia steps in and bans it.

i seem to remember macca had a new engine map this weekend (spain). i wonder if this was to improve the ebd or to fit in with the new rules

another thought, i don't understand how its ok under throttle but not off? surely its more movable now with it on then off than it was when it was one constant flow?
Last edited by astracrazy on 17 May 2011, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

astracrazy wrote:wtf is wrong with these b*****ds

the thing is its a huge waste of r and d money, going green and all that really fits the mould again doesn't it. lets spend loads of money developing something then the fia steps in and bans it.

i seem to remember macca had a new engine map this weekend (spain). i wonder if this was to improve the ebd or to fit in with the new rules
I have a vague thought it my head that one of the sources quoted that McLaren checked the legallity if the new map with the FIA, and the FIA went "uhh, you shouldn't be doing anything like that at all... BAN", but I can't find my source on that now. Anyone else remember that, or am I making it up?

lebesset
lebesset

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91475

autosport don't normally deal in rumours
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

beelsebob wrote:
astracrazy wrote:wtf is wrong with these b*****ds

I have a vague thought it my head that one of the sources quoted that McLaren checked the legallity if the new map with the FIA, and the FIA went "uhh, you shouldn't be doing anything like that at all... BAN", but I can't find my source on that now. Anyone else remember that, or am I making it up?
Same as that material in preseason, or the adjustable ride height control.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I can see the EBD loophole being closed for 2012 with this.

Yet another show from the FIA that no matter how much that the teams take advantage of the loopholes, they FIA will always ban it.

Yet another item to add to the long...Long list of things that have been banned by the FIA. If only someone (better than me) could compile a list of all the items that have been banned in the past decade or two, with dates as well.

astracrazy
astracrazy

ESPImperium wrote:I can see the EBD loophole being closed for 2012 with this.

Yet another show from the FIA that no matter how much that the teams take advantage of the loopholes, they FIA will always ban it.

Yet another item to add to the long...Long list of things that have been banned by the FIA. If only someone (better than me) could compile a list of all the items that have been banned in the past decade or two, with dates as well.
the challenge is set!

what about fota agreed? like Kers 2010? f-duct?

btw that doesn't mean im gonna do it lol

thestig84
thestig84

lebesset wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91475

autosport don't normally deal in rumours
Already linked and quoted from Im afraid.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

astracrazy wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:I can see the EBD loophole being closed for 2012 with this.

the challenge is set!

what about fota agreed? like Kers 2010? f-duct?

btw that doesn't mean im gonna do it lol
Include them as well, as they are current. But id like to see how the FIA ones are differenciated from the FOTA/FOCA/GPMA style ones as well.