Info on Carbon Fibre

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Mike
Mike

Info on Carbon Fibre

I'm doing a project on Carbon Fibre, anyone got any info

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

What kind of information are you looking for?

Try going to Dupont probably they'll have alot of info about it....to Advanced Composites, go to netcomposites.com......fibreglast.....and there are a few more that I can't remember.

You could also look at a book published by Haynes called "Competition Car Composites"

Mike Bowes
Mike Bowes

It's for a school project so any general information about it, which parts are made out of it in a Formula one car, How's it made etc

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Humm...what's made out of carbon fibre?

Well almost everything that you can see without taking the car apart! All the bodywork, wings, nose, bargeboards, undertray, monocoque (though some are a mixture of kevlar....but all have aluminum honeycomb), brake ducts, almost all have carbon fibre wishbones. Under the cover you have the radiator ducts, some gearboxes, oil tank supports, deformable structure in the back, seat, steering wheel, air box duct,.....and that is all I can think of! (I didn't include the engine parts that are made from carbon fibre...though there aren't many parts)

About the manufacturing process I'll post back later....I have to run to classes now!

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well now to manufacturing.....well there are 2 kinds of ways to manufacture a carbon fibre part....well not really 2 ways....but 2 kinds of moulds that can be used:

- female mould - where the carbon layout is put inside the mould.
- male mould - where the carbon layout is put in the outside of the mould.

The first monocoques built were made with male moulds but there were some disadvantages....one was that the otter surface of the monocoque would only be as smooth as the finish applied to it! So if the person wasn't too good when it came to laying out the fibre and resin....you'de get a rough surface! Another disadvantage was that after finishing the monocoque the mould would have to be removed....which wasn't easy!

Now the female mould e mostly used....with the advantage of having the rough surface on the inside of the monocoque and the smooth surface on the outside....it is also easier to de-mould!

A monocoque is usually made in 2 to 4 parts.....the simplest way is 2 parts....the top part and the bottom part. Then some team make the air box in a seperate mould and bond it to the top section of the monocoque....and some make a 4th part as the back of the driver! The last part of the monocoque fabrication process is the bonding of the top half of the monocoque with the bottom half!

The most dificult part of all this is the creation of the mould....first when all the drawings are complete they go to the CNC department and a CNC machine cuts UREOL planks (which will be glued onto of each other) in order to make a full size monocoque replica! Around this replica they'll put carbon fibre and then it all goes into the Autoclave (high tempreture and high pressurre oven) to cook the carbon/resin! When finished you'll have the mould around the replica....when removing the mould the bottom half will be used for the bottom half of the monocoque and the top half for the top!...then it still gets some finishing treatments. After this the mould can be used to build a monocoque.....which is made by placing fibre matting (7 to 8 plies) then aluminum honeycomb...then another 7 to 8 plies of fibre....then back into the autoclave....when de-moulded you'll get part of the monocoque which will be bonded to the rest of the monocoque.

Making the other carbon fibre parts have a similiar process...of mould and fabrication! Depending on the forces applied on the part it will have more or less fibre plies.....and for most os the parts the aluminum honeycomb isn't necessary!

If someone has anything to add...please do....this is more or less a quick reply and a very summerized reply....I could stay here all day :lol:

Steven
Owner

have you checked this article already?
http://www.f1technical.net/article3.html

Lukin
Lukin

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/webprojects20 ... a_one.html

http://www.f3000.com/2003/2003_infocars ... rspecs.htm

http://www.f1technical.net/feature682.html

http://www.f1technical.net/article3.html

http://www.f1mech.co.uk/manufacture.htm

Unfortunately I am in the same boat as you. Was almost there, a month till graduation and BANG , they pile on another crap assignment!

If you have any good links can you post them here too.

Also, check out scarbs site, he was some good stuff on there.

Cheers

Lukin
Lukin

Mike,

If your still interested, here is my aforementioned report. Its not that great, bit of a rush job and I cant guarantee any of the info (a lot is source dependant) but the pictures are good!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bushfam/ja ... -Fibre.pdf

As you see the weights for the some chassis styles are blank. Unless I can find them in the next 10 hours I will just make them up.

If there are any blaring mistakes in it, dont point them out. It will upset me and I dont care much anymore anyway as I have one more lab to write up, 3 exams and a final year thesis project to present in the next 18 days!!

Cheers

Mike Bowes
Mike Bowes

Thanks

Cheers everyone for the information so far.

Mike
Mike

Does anyone have anything about the physical properties of carbon fibre. e.g.How it is better to use carbon fibre in a F1 car than say, steel etc, any help would be much appreciated

For your project you might also want to check out the different types of weaves for carbon fiber (plain, twill, crowfoot, etc.) and which weaves are usually used for different applications.... if i can find a good site about this stuff i'll post it but just thought it was something else you could add to your project.

good luck with it, i lay carbon fiber for my Formula SAE team and its a fun subject to be involved in. Enjoy your project, you should learn a lot! :)

Mike Bowes
Mike Bowes

Does anyone Know the difference between Carbon Fibre and CFRP (Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic) and why do they use CFRP in F1 cars

speedrcr
speedrcr

The generic term "carbon fiber" is the same thing as CFRP. A plastic (typically epoxy) reinforced with carbon fibers, hence the name. Carbon/carbon on the otherhand, has no epoxy and is typically used only in high temperature applicatons such as brake rotors or exhaust ducts on stealth aircraft, as it is has poor physical properties (brittle).