British GP 2011 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Richard
Richard

Re: British GP 2011 - Silverstone

There was only 1 point between McLaren and Ferrari in the WCC at the end of 09. That point was worth roughly $7m in the WCC prize money.

http://www.f1wolf.com/2007/09/formula-1 ... money.html

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

True, but Lewis was racing for his result, not the teams, the team didn't ask him to slow down and just 'bag the points'.

PlatinumZealot

Most Boring WDC in years... not even the team mate can make a legitimate challenge! I am not enjoying supporting RedBull after this team orders debacle.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

donskar
donskar

n smikle wrote:Most Boring WDC in years... not even the team mate can make a legitimate challenge! I am not enjoying supporting RedBull after this team orders debacle.
The proof of your statement "Most boring . . . " is pages and pages arguing about team orders rather than the actual race. I'd love to see at season's end whether TV viewership suffered at any point during the season. Previously it was a near certainty that an RB would win. Now it is highly likely that only ONE of the RBs can win. Maybe casual fans will enjoy Red Bull parades?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Mandrake
Mandrake

Gerhard Berger wrote:Personally, I will remember this season as Red Bull/Vettel domination - a great car with an extremely quick driver. He doesn't need team orders to show that or further proof that.
That's right. But I doubt Vettel asked for team oders....it appears to me it was the first time Vettel was pressured by Mark this season and thus Horner made a (stupid) decision to slow down Mark. Since Mark didn't obey the order and kept on battling. We shouldn't be discussing for pages about that order and the sense or nonsense in that. I'd love to hear the whole radio traffic between the pits, Vettel and Webber....only that way we can judge whether Horner wanted to save the drivers from crashing or Vettel from losing 2nd place.

PlatinumZealot

donskar wrote:
n smikle wrote:Most Boring WDC in years... not even the team mate can make a legitimate challenge! I am not enjoying supporting RedBull after this team orders debacle.
The proof of your statement "Most boring . . . " is pages and pages arguing about team orders rather than the actual race. I'd love to see at season's end whether TV viewership suffered at any point during the season. Previously it was a near certainty that an RB would win. Now it is highly likely that only ONE of the RBs can win. Maybe casual fans will enjoy Red Bull parades?
I doubt they have any great number of casual fans btw; you only see a redbull for like two times in the whole race... the start and the finish.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

ringo

With all the rioting going on in the UK, wouldn't it be hypocritical if we didn't ban this GP for next year, in spite of the unrest taking place?
I mean, this country is hosting olympics next year, yet the streets are burning.

What's the difference here with Bahrain?

How safe is it really to run a GP in the UK with this kind of spontaneous behavior?

:wink:
For Sure!!

djos

Lol, there's a big difference between criminal looting and political instability ringo. :p
"In downforce we trust"

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Isnt Jenson button supposed to do a demo run in Manchester by this month end??

beelsebob
beelsebob

Many sporting events were in fact cancelled... in fact, one which Bernie Ecclestone had control over was cancelled. I'm sure that if the british GP was in London, and this was actually going on at the time, it too, would be cancelled.

ringo

djos wrote:Lol, there's a big difference between criminal looting and political instability ringo. :p
The only difference is the country. Any news outlet could spin it like a disco ball into political unrest.
For Sure!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

ringo wrote:
djos wrote:Lol, there's a big difference between criminal looting and political instability ringo. :p
The only difference is the country. Any news outlet could spin it like a disco ball into political unrest.
No, the difference is whether the rioting is at the track, and whether the grand prix is happening right now ;)

Traction

n_anirudh wrote:Isnt Jenson button supposed to do a demo run in Manchester by this month end??
yes he is....looks like a lot of fun too.. 8)

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 12411.html
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

raymondu999

Which Macca will he use? The -25 I presume?
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

gridwalker
gridwalker

ringo wrote:With all the rioting going on in the UK, wouldn't it be hypocritical if we didn't ban this GP for next year, in spite of the unrest taking place?
I mean, this country is hosting olympics next year, yet the streets are burning.

What's the difference here with Bahrain?

How safe is it really to run a GP in the UK with this kind of spontaneous behavior?

:wink:
The difference is that our government has not sanctioned lethal fire against peaceful protesters (although circumstances over the police-shooting that sparked it off remain dubious, to say the least).

The uproar and subsequent cancellation of Bahrain was a sanction against the government's response to the protests, NOT the people at the heart of the unrest. Our government has been guilty of some despicable knee-jerk responses, but we are fortunate to have seen events pass without any further loss of life at the hands of the state.

Additionally, the UK government has no direct stake in the British Grand Prix : the family that authorised the use of lethal force in Bahrain are also the promoters of the Grand Prix, giving them a direct commercial link to the event. This connection was what essentially made running a prestige event politically untenable for all major stakeholders.

The two sets of circumstances couldn't be more different; comparing the Bahraini call for democracy with the crass looting seen in the UK is a gross misinterpretation of the socio-political roots of each event.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."