New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jeffsvilleusa

Re: New York Grand Prix track in 2013

A street circuit in NY city would be difficult to realize (just as with SF), but to simply have it in NJ with a NY backdrop is satisfactory, it is much like the Montreal GP- it doesn't run through Montreal at all, but it is right next to the city (it also just happens to be a 'street circuit' in terms of track layout). And I'm with JT, call it the NJGP not NYGP, it's only accurate and it's more blue collar!

Interesting to see the track layout in Google maps- the only thing I would suggest is to add some temporary chicanes where possible to eliminate too many 90 degree corners.
Box! Box!

jddh1

I'm going to go drive my scooter around the proposed track this weekend. Doesn't seem like much elevation change but I want to see first hand. Oh, and I also want to see the tarmac quality.

donskar
donskar

Ferraripilot wrote:won't happen. NY politics are insane. F1 will return to Watkins Glen before a race in the city will take place
Ah yes, the memories of Watkins Glen: Ferrari and BRM V12s screaming through the morning mist, bacon frying at campfires, vomiting drunks, a burning bus in The Bog, trading beer for condoms, my socks on fire. Yes the Glen would be FAR better than NYC. I mean it. No politicians or beautiful people at the Glen. Not a place the A List went to be seen. Just people who loved racing and having a good time.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

cossie
cossie

Dealing with Tony Soprano's, there's always a 1st for everthing, BE getting shaken down =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Mr Alcatraz

cossie wrote:Dealing with Tony Soprano's, there's always a 1st for everthing, BE getting shaken down =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Bernie just got finished being shaken down by Gerhard Gribkowsky. :oops:
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has admitted for the first time that he did pay money to banker Gerhard Gribkowsky - but says he only did so because he was 'threatened' over other financial matters.

Gribkowsky was charged this week for having allegedly accepted a $44 million bribe in relation to the sale of F1 by the Bayerische Landesbank.
Maybe Bernie is on a roll? :?

Yea' right... Dream on :-({|= :roll:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

FW17

Dream Connectivity to the proposed track too. A light rail station and a ferry station right to the start finish line. I guess the parking lot will become a pit complex which will become a multi-level car park the rest of the year.

5 right angled in this case is alright. Hoping for no chicanes at all as the layout proposed is just super fast. The 3 straights (with bends) are atleast a 1 km long each.

Ferraripilot

jddh1 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:won't happen. NY politics are insane. F1 will return to Watkins Glen before a race in the city will take place
Doesn't have anything to do with NY state or the city of New York. This is all New Jersey (and Jersey City in particular). As far as NYC goes, they'll probably just use it for the parties and hotels.

The governor of NJ will want it, but no one else. This IMO, is opening the door to the entitlement-seekers of the area to claim something outrageous. That area of the US, while I love it, can be very petty by way of the people and politicians. It would be great for the local economy in the short term though.

megz

about as likely as being struck by lightning at the bottom of the ocean.

bhall
bhall

Ferraripilot wrote:The governor of NJ will want it...
Only if he can figure out a way to somehow eat it.

NJ Gov. Chris Christie indicates the number of times
he's seen his feet in the last ten years.

FW17

New Jersey Grand Prix expected to be confirmed on Tuesday
Read more:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011102 ... 1bTjN5kKR
Speed TV on Friday said it will interrupt its regularly scheduled programming on Tuesday, Oct. 25, at 2 p.m. Eastern to "bring audiences live coverage of a special announcement regarding the future of Formula One Grand Prix racing in the United States."

The broadcast is expected to be the formal announcement of the previously rumored New Jersey F1 race that will take place in view of the Manhattan skyline, probably in 2013 and likely paired with the Montreal F1 race.

The effort to bring the race to a temporary street-circuit in Weehawken and West New York in New Jersey is headed by gentleman racer Leo Hindery Jr., who is the former head of the YES network, and who is married to Speed TV executive Patti Wheeler, daughter of former Speedway Motorsports Inc. executive and legendary promoter Humpy Wheeler.

A well-regarded NASCAR executive is rumored to be joining the effort, though that announcement may or may not come on Tuesday.

The race is expected to complement the already-announced U.S. Grand Prix scheduled to debut in November 2012 in Austin, Texas, as well as a race planned for Mexico.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011102 ... z1bTj5V1y4

bhall
bhall

Of course this would happen almost immediately after I moved out of New Jersey.

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Great news :D

xpensive
xpensive

In the old days, it would have been possible for HRT and Virgin to field a third car for the event, driven by Marco Andretti or Danica Patrick. Hell, Ken Anderson would have been welcome to trailer his USF1 chassis from Charlotte to try his luck!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

A good thing, IMHO. The audience is here; the sponsors and manufacturers will like it; geographiocally, the country is large enough to support two GPs. And long-term, it's good for F1 to have Bernie and his masters deal with some hard-liners who will not kiss his nether portions.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

Don't forget the communications Don, you got Newark airport, I80 and I95 going by, JFK and Grand central not far way.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"