New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
QLDriver
QLDriver

Re: New York Grand Prix track in 2013

In addition, there's a ferry terminal on the circuit, and a light rail station inside the circuit.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The WSJ is reporting that the deal is basically done, the GP is to be held in 2013 in NJ with NYC skyline as back drop.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/62196.html

Didn't see the autoweek post. Sorry.

Jeffsvilleusa

Yay!
Box! Box!

scuderiafan

I don't understand what's wrong with places like Indianapolis, Long Beach, or Laguna Seca in particular. All very unique tracks, all have history behind them.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

scuderiafan wrote:I don't understand what's wrong with places like Indianapolis, Long Beach, or Laguna Seca in particular. All very unique tracks, all have history behind them.
Indy = Once Bitten, Twice Shy. Also too soon for them after the 2005 debacle.
Long Beach = Not up to standard by a loing way.
Laguna = Too short for F1, needs an extra 700 meters to be eligible, and a laptime over 1:11.000 to qualify. A Lap in a Champ Car (Bourdais) or a Toyota TF106 (Zonta) is currently arround 1:08.600 if i recall correctly.

There is only Watkins and Road Atlanta that could have a F1 race without too much strife, and by too much strife, $50m to $80m spent on them to be up to spec.

New York would be a good venue, and a great link to the probable triple header in the middle of the traditional "European Season" that Bernie is looking at with Montreal-New York-Mexico with the Circuit Of Americas having the final Americas triple header at the end of the season with Austin-Argentina-Interlagos being in there.

I feel this means bad things for at least 2 events in Austral-Asia, Korea is looking for a way out of Mokpo already if not a ditching of the event, and with Japan and Austrailia looking increasingly in the marjins. Also the European is on the way to the scrap heap as well with Valencia and Barcelona sharing the Spanish GP on a simmilar aggreement to the German one with Hockenheim and Nurburgring.

Also Bernie is looking for Abu Dhabi to start the callender if Bahrain dont pull their domestic issues into touch after next year. Whitch could see Turkey or Imola return as a impromptu event.

The teams are sick of the callander being the way it is, they want at least 4 events out of Europe at the start of the season with the next 4 in Europe the a American swing then Europe again then a final Asian swing and a final Americas swing.

Its all down to the teams looking at their carbon footprint and air miles, as well as how to get F1 into more markets whilst keeping the European heartland happy.

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:Don't forget the communications Don, you got Newark airport, I80 and I95 going by, JFK and Grand central not far way.
No question it's a good locale, =D> with an enormous hotel base, several airports, huge population base, endless restaurants. AND world-class criminals. I'm hoping Bernie gets mugged again. :lol:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

donskar wrote: ...
...AND world-class criminals. I'm hoping Bernie gets mugged again. :lol:
There you go, I doubt if you can complete a construction-venture like an F1 track in NJ without sharing it with the local mobsters controlling the unions? When I lived in Pa in the 90s, a friend of mine who managed a shop in Scranton told me their metalworker's union-bosses were seated in Hoboken NJ, home of Sam Giancana and Frank Sinatra.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

QLDriver
QLDriver

Watch out for extra bumps in the track, eh?

Lycoming
Lycoming

Im wondering how they have room on the calendar to fit another event. Don't forget they have to squeeze in a russian GP in a few years too.

strad

A.
How does any street circuit really conform to the strict run off and other safety regs the road courses must meet?
B
Even if legal how could it cost less then the cost bringing the aforementioned tracks up to standard.
I would much rather see an improved Watkins Glen than a street circuit.
Im wondering how they have room on the calendar to fit another event. Don't forget they have to squeeze in a russian GP in a few years too.
AND Include mandatory time off??
Maybe two teams within each team so no one has to work their poor silly asses off.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

donskar
donskar

xpensive wrote:
donskar wrote: ...
...AND world-class criminals. I'm hoping Bernie gets mugged again. :lol:
There you go, I doubt if you can complete a construction-venture like an F1 track in NJ without sharing it with the local mobsters controlling the unions? When I lived in Pa in the 90s, a friend of mine who managed a shop in Scranton told me their metalworker's union-bosses were seated in Hoboken NJ, home of Sam Giancana and Frank Sinatra.
I remember, more than a half-century ago, asking my Italian mother, "What happened to uncle Paulie? He never comes over anymore."
She said, "He's in Route 19."
A naive 8-year old, I asked, "You mean he moved to Route 19?"
"No, he's IN Route 19!"
"Is he working on Route 19?"
"NO! They killed him and poured cement over him!"
I had an interesting youth.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

cossie
cossie

donskar wrote:
xpensive wrote:Don't forget the communications Don, you got Newark airport, I80 and I95 going by, JFK and Grand central not far way.
No question it's a good locale, =D> with an enormous hotel base, several airports, huge population base, endless restaurants. AND world-class criminals. I'm hoping Bernie gets mugged again. :lol:[/quot

time for bernie to get shaken down

Richard
Richard

We mustn't forget that Bernie is not exposed to any significant risk in all this. He doesn't invest any money, he simply says "If you build a track at your own cost, and run a race weekend at your own cost, and pay me a huge fee, and let me have the advertising space for free, then I'll turn up with my mates and their cars."

So if anyone gets caught out by this it'll be the tax payers of NJ if the local authorities underwrite the scheme.

FW17

richard_leeds wrote:We mustn't forget that Bernie is not exposed to any significant risk in all this. He doesn't invest any money, he simply says "If you build a track at your own cost, and run a race weekend at your own cost, and pay me a huge fee, and let me have the advertising space for free, then I'll turn up with my mates and their cars."

So if anyone gets caught out by this it'll be the tax payers of NJ if the local authorities underwrite the scheme.
No one said anything about tax payers money. Why is this always the issue even in a private venture?

F1 is not only about the racing anymore, but a larger social activity and business networking that comes with the F1 brand. It is naive to think that this part of F1 does not exist or not as important as the on track action. For this reason alone locations such as Magny Cours did not work and for the same reason Watkins Glen and Road America will not work.

strad

WilliamsF1 wrote
For this reason alone locations such as Magny Cours did not work and for the same reason Watkins Glen and Road America will not work.
Care to elaborate?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss