I HATE NASCAR.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...

Did Gurney or Andretti ever drive full nascar seasons? If so how many years in succession did they attempt this? I thought of them as competing sporadically in certain prestige or in other ways challenging events, and being very successful at it. I know andretti won the daytona 500 handily in '67. Gurney competed as a ringer at riverside many years and won something like 5 times in a row.

ranger
ranger

NASCAR sucks like a bullshit.... :x ...who can stand watching it 2 hours around an oval :roll: !?!?!?!?..surely not me..
You never know what's going to happen. - Daniel

West
West

No matter how much you hate NASCAR, it is a more popular sport than F1 in the United States. Everybody wants to put their product name on a stock car. There is a lot more overtaking in NASCAR, even though it looks way too simple. NASCAR is a force to be reckoned with. That's why SPEED TV (in the United States) shows more NASCAR-related stuff this year - they dropped WRC coverage for more of those driver profile shows.

In summary, NASCAR cares about its fans. 2005 Indy proved that F1 is quite the opposite.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Sawtooth-spike

ranger, why bring this thread back up? this is a dead thread from May 2005.
That kinda post is not what This forum is about.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Scuderia_Russ

ranger wrote:NASCAR sucks like a bullshit.
What the hell does this mean?

f1.redbaron

Scuderia_Russ wrote:
ranger wrote:NASCAR sucks like a bullshit.
What the hell does this mean?

Are you sure you wanna know?

ackzsel

Shall we just let this thread die? (Yes, I AM aware of the fact that this post doesn't really contribute to that :wink: )

Deano
Deano

Nascar is crap as it is sohyped up just to see road car look a likes go around in an oval theres hardly anything done to em
Schuey is the best. 7X World Champion, soon to be 8

West
West

Actually, teams still spend millions tuning the car. Go pick up a copy of Racecar Engineering instead of taking a shot in the dark.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Figlio_del_Diavolo

NASCAR is far from my favorite form of motorsport, however, I do find it entertaining to watch sometimes. Yes, the marketing onslaught brought on by the France family is obnoxious, but take the series for what it is. If you don't like it don't watch, it is as simple as that.
"Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better." - Hunter S. Thompson

jgredline

Deano wrote:Nascar is crap as it is sohyped up just to see road car look a likes go around in an oval theres hardly anything done to em
This statement shows your ignorance. First off don't compare nascar to F1. Apples and oranges, although you probally think apples taste like oranges.

In Nascar you will have 43 cars take the green flag going 200mph + for 500Miles at a time with cockpit temps reaching 130 degrees and in some cases 150 degrees in 3500 lb cars with 10'' tires. There is about 25 cars cars with a real chance of wining the race. Let me tell you something. I like watching Nascar races when there is nothing else to do. I will not get up @ 3:00am to view one like I would F1. But to say its crap. Those cars are very sufisticated race cars. Yes they still use a carb, and yes they are cast Iron V8's but to make 850-900Hp from a 1950'S desighn using only 390cfm carb is nothing short of amazing. I have been to DEI, Hendricks and Joe Gibbs motorsports with GM racing when I was doing engine development for them on there Ecotec and when I saw the true level of suffistication, I was trully in awe. Like West said nicely. Do your homework before you speak beacuse you sounded very dumb.
On a second note if you ever look
To finish first, first you must finish.

ginsu
ginsu

I don't think i've chimed in on this thread yet, but since I'm an American I think I do have some frustrations to vent over NASCAR.

1. NASCAR is over-promoted, and over-sponsored. Just watching them down a mountain dew, cold milk, coke, pepsi, whatever has gotten really sickening. This is far from the bad boy days of the 70's, when undeniably, NASCAR was in it's heyday.

2. NASCAR suffers from too many races on the same type of track. If Silverstone were an oval and Spa were an oval I'm sure F1 would not be as interesting.

3. NASCAR's pace of technological development is nearly non-existant. The Car of the Future differs little from the adoption of a front lip splitter and a rear wing. Kinda late to the game aren't we.

I won't go on forever, as I certainly could after being pounded with so much commercial imagery of Jeff Gordon or Michael Waltrip (I go to NAPA too much).

Now, after many years of being frustrated with NASCAR and after finding how incredible F1 is, I have come to the conclusion that NASCAR does actually have a few good traits that the FOM might consider adopting.

1. Bumpers so F1 cars can push and grind against eachother to fight for position. There is nothing as fascinating as seeing a driver shove another one aside at 200mph.

2. Overtaking needs to be at a NASCAR level in F1. That means fighting for position can include more than two cars.
I love to love Senna.

m3_lover

I watch Nascar races in a blue moon, but I have to say it has its good points and bad points, I really like how they try to curb costs, look at DTM during the 90's it crashed because of spiralling costs that they couldn't control, you need some type of financial restraint in motorsports or the series will die because of lack of competitors because of the lack of funds.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tom

I watch NASCAR occasionally, but I get bored of the lack of right turns. I like to watch the first few laps secretly hoping for a 20 car pile up (like everyone else) but I couldn't keep watching it. I can see why people can enjoy it but its not my cup of tea/apple/orange juice.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Deano wrote:Nascar is crap as it is sohyped up just to see road car look a likes go around in an oval theres hardly anything done to em
Racing is racing, we all have different tastes and interests. But as someone who has immersed himself in NASCAR, I can say it is serious racers doing hard combat within very crappy, restricitive rules. Yes, it's more cultural than racing, and it's more about selling personalities than the actual racing. But take it as it is, or change channels. No one is forcing you to watch it.
If it's not your cup of tea, fine. Just please don't slam something you know very little about.