Indian GP 2011 - Buddh

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kalinka
kalinka

Re: Indian Grand Prix 2011

raymondu999 wrote:Why in the name of f*ck would they change the prime/option naming convention for this Grand Prix?!
I even can't understand why we need that "code". Is it so hard for commentators to remember which two compounds are selected for the race ? It just confuses everyone.
Why an earth we can't just refer to those tyres as soft/supersoft/medium/hard ? Now it becomes even more confusing.

raymondu999

i think it's to do with tyre allocation, no? Do you get different numbers of primes/options per race?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kalinka
kalinka

Yes, but wouldn't it be understandable for average F1 viewer if we say : there are 6 sets of softs and 5 sets of mediums avaliable ? Now the commentators say 6 sets of primes+5 sets of options and after that they must explain every time which is the soft and which is the medium. Unnecessary double talk.

Intego

raymondu999 wrote:Could someone please edit post one to include the tyre choices, btw?
If you mean my post: sorry, I can't change it, it's too old. I will ask the mods when the FIA has provided all information.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Fletcherr
Fletcherr

its great to see that F1 has finally made its way in South Asian countries. i hope they justify their selection as a venue for the race.

raymondu999

Welcome to the forums Fletch. Would Singapore not count as South Asian? Malaysia?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Earnard Beccelstone
Earnard Beccelstone

South Asia = SAARC countries

Loosely: India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh and four or five other smaller countries (Afghanistan joined a few years ago).

Singapore and Malaysia would be Southeast Asian.

raymondu999

Ah if you're talking about the SAARC bloc then yes. I always thought that South, SouthEast, SouthWest were all a subset of South Asia.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Although, motorsports is not as popular as F1, the excitement and build up has been good. With half the country's population below 30 yrs of age, F1 would have a mass appeal here.

I hope the marshals are well trained and dont cock up. 25% of the marshals are non-natives. The race co-incides with the Indian festival called Diwali. I hope there are enough security arrangements in place for everyone concerned.

raymondu999

raymondu999 wrote:i think it's to do with tyre allocation, no? Do you get different numbers of primes/options per race?
I've been thinking about the prime/option switch they're doing in India.Paul Hembery has been rather vocal about 1 set of the harder prime compound being unused every weekend.

Your tyres for a weekend are 6 prime sets and 5 option sets. Basically; 6 "harder" sets and 5 "softer" sets. Going by Paul Hembery's comments that the teams leave 1 set of primes unused; every weekend, 5 "harder" sets; and 5 "softer" sets are used.

So with this prime/option convention switch, that means that the usually-unused "harder" set will disappear; but instead the teams will have 1 extra "softer" set. Meaning top teams can still do 2 Q3 runs and have 1 new tyre left. And the lower half of Q3 who usually don't run; will just run as they have 1 extra set.

I think that's possibly what Pirelli is doing with this whole thing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

n_anirudh wrote:Although, motorsports is not as popular as F1, the excitement and build up has been good. With half the country's population below 30 yrs of age, F1 would have a mass appeal here.

I hope the marshals are well trained and dont cock up. 25% of the marshals are non-natives. The race co-incides with the Indian festival called Diwali. I hope there are enough security arrangements in place for everyone concerned.
motorsport is such an elitist sport, not exactly something that I is worth promoting in a country where owning a car is consider a luxury.

dave34m
dave34m

CHT wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:Although, motorsports is not as popular as F1, the excitement and build up has been good. With half the country's population below 30 yrs of age, F1 would have a mass appeal here.

motorsport is such an elitist sport, not exactly something that I is worth promoting in a country where owning a car is consider a luxury.
I see that Britian is questioning why they are still giving India billions of pounds in aid when they have a space program and a F1 race. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future
Last edited by dave34m on 12 Oct 2011, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

sriraj1031
sriraj1031

CHT wrote:

Have you ever been to india to make such a comment :? guesss you are still in 1980s

FW17

sriraj1031 wrote:
CHT wrote:

Have you ever been to india to make such a comment :? guesss you are still in 1980s
Well, India is right now a safer place (economically) to be than in their own lands. expat guys have it good here.

CHT
CHT

sriraj1031 wrote:
CHT wrote:

Been to Mumbai several years back, stayed at the Oberoi. very expensive hotel but really nothing to shout about. however what surprises me is that, just several hundred meters away from the hotel, there are people living in slump and begging etc.

Maybe things are much better now, perhaps the slump are little further??