Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for RBR to clinch the title here. Will they?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 61

dren

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Beat me to it JET. I expected them to do better in the next few races anyway. I'd like to see Michael put in a good Suzuka performance. Maybe another 5th place finish is possible.
Honda!

Raptor22
Raptor22

I hope that Schmacher can do more than 5th in Suzuka. Last year he drove the wheels off the thing while Rosberg took it too literally.
Last few races it does appear the car has better exit traction and brakes (hence Schumachers late braking antics).

I want to see the old man succeed

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Raptor22 wrote:I hope that Schmacher can do more than 5th in Suzuka. Last year he drove the wheels off the thing while Rosberg took it too literally.
Last few races it does appear the car has better exit traction and brakes (hence Schumachers late braking antics).

I want to see the old man succeed
We can expect them to be a tad closer in Suzuka, but not much more. The cars ahead of them are too far ahead for them to be realistically challenging.
They'd be looking to a Massa/Hamilton incident to get 5th.

Also, it will be very very interesting to see how the W02 takes 130R. With its DF handicap, I wonder how much time they will be giving up in the final sector due to this corner.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Will it really be a handicap? 130 has been easy flat for years. Last year most cars was taking it flat with f-duct activated. And don't forget by then most f-ducts were acting on the main plane already (rather than the flap)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

I think Schumacher and or Rosberg can finish on merit ahead of Massa. That opens up a 6th place.

They will struggle in the 1st sector with the esses.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:Will it really be a handicap? 130 has been easy flat for years. Last year most cars was taking it flat with f-duct activated. And don't forget by then most f-ducts were acting on the main plane already (rather than the flap)
tyres Ray, I dont think the Pirellis will hold on for that long. Saying that Im not sure what the compounds are.

Yes they wil struggle in the Esses too dren
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

From my Japanese GP thread: 2011 tyres: Medium (prime, white) and soft (option, yellow)

I see your point. Heavy fuel at the start; as well as non-fresh tyres. Could pose an interesting problem. I remember last year the McLaren (which was also fast in quick corners in race pace); Button even had to have a lift at the first lap.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ferraripilot

raymondu999 wrote:From my Japanese GP thread: 2011 tyres: Medium (prime, white) and soft (option, yellow)

I see your point. Heavy fuel at the start; as well as non-fresh tyres. Could pose an interesting problem. I remember last year the McLaren (which was also fast in quick corners in race pace); Button even had to have a lift at the first lap.
W02 is better on the mediums than Ferrari. This could be good

raymondu999

I never noticed that trait. Do you have some data/examples? (Not disagreeing with you, just that it's in my nature to be skeptical without data)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

Ferrari seems to think they will struggle at Suzuka. I think Mercedes may have a chance to compete with them.
Honda!

raymondu999

I would SO SO love to see Schumi on the podium. Btw; let's carry this conversation over to the race thread guys :wink:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

Re: Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

I see Button on the podium once again. I think Schumacher may be able to fight with the Ferraris here.
Honda!

raymondu999

Somehow I don't see Button on the podium here. Maybe just off it (4th) but not on it.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

Thinking Hamilton and Webber?
Honda!

raymondu999

One thing I think a lot of people neglect is that this circuit isn't just about downforce; it's also about the driver. It's up there with Spa; Monaco; Hungary where great drivers in good cars can show their skills better.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法