Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for RBR to clinch the title here. Will they?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 61

ringo

Re: Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

It's still mostly car though.

Especially in the esses.
For Sure!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

The McLarens have been strong at Barcelona, and Hungary, and we didn't see what they could really do at Silverstone, though they weren't *that* slow there even without their diffuser. I honestly don't see RBR running away with this one.

Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes GP W02

raymondu999 wrote:I never noticed that trait. Do you have some data/examples? (Not disagreeing with you, just that it's in my nature to be skeptical without data)

Ferrari in China is probably the best example, although not quite a relevant since the car is obviously much better now. Ferrari were quick there on softs, but MB were quicker on the hards having caught up to Ferrari. Also, Ferrari has openly admitted their geometry does not react to their liking with mediums or hard tires. Their rear geometry is probably the issue as that is where they have been changing things the most. That being said, W02 has only been really changing their rear geometry for the same reason, only I believe W02 overheats the rears when I think Ferrari has the opposite issue.

raymondu999

Running away, I don't think so. But winning, I can definitely see.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:One thing I think a lot of people neglect is that this circuit isn't just about downforce; it's also about the driver. It's up there with Spa; Monaco; Hungary where great drivers in good cars can show their skills better.
The track is all about medium and high speed corners, so the car with the best aero will usually win (as we saw last year with the Red Bull 1-2).

I know it is considered a "driver's track", though in my opinion, this is more because the drivers enjoy the track.

beelsebob
beelsebob

I think part of it is the breaking zone into the hairpin – you need to be on the breaks through the right hander before hand, and it's tricky to get dead right. I think part of it is also the history of the track – everyone wants to race at the track where the Senna/Prost wars (and many more) were settled.

raymondu999

Don't forget Dengner 1; a hell of a tricky corner IMO. The positioning of the Esses I hear is also important; the line "flows" in such a way that if you get the line for one of the Esses wrong your speed carried all the way into Dunlop would be compromised.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shrieker

The aero advantage RB7 has over other cars combined with Vettel's record here, it'll be a heroic task to beat him. I honestly can't see it happening. But then again Hamilton's been strong here both in 2009 in 2010 too, so fingers crossed...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

Hamilton seems to have pace in Suzuka, but not the technical luck (in terms of reliability). Didn't he have a false neutral or have a weird incident with the limiter on the exit of the pits in 2009? And 2010 he crashed (this was his fault admittedly) then he had a gearbox change, and then THAT gearbox failed in the 3rd gear (rendering his 1st and 2nd gears ineffective as he couldn't shift "past" 3rd) in the race.

If Vettel wins Suzuka (not hard to imagine) he will be the 2nd most successful driver here; with 3 victories. the most successful is Schumi with 8, and 3rd successful will be (currently joint 2nd successful with Seb) Mika Hakkinen with 2 victories
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

I don't remember him crashing in the Japan race last year.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

volarchico
volarchico

He crashed in practice last year.

Fil

I have to admit, into the backend of the season, I'm more fascinated by the struggle between Force India & Sauber, with Renault seemingly within their grasp pace-wise.

Kobayashi always seems to turn it on for his home race, Di Resta is beginning to drive very maturely in Force India that is finishing the season off strongly & Senna is continuing to show promise. Add into the mix the unknown of the STRs and the midfield is a great source of racing at this stage of the season!

Singapore was a great race between these teams, and I'm really curious how the pendulum will swing at Suzuka. I have an inkling Force India is best suited to the track, but that is somewhat countered by Kobayashi's pace here.

A tough one to call for the race to 9th!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

raymondu999

Fil wrote:I have to admit, into the backend of the season, I'm more fascinated by the struggle between Force India & Sauber, with Renault seemingly within their grasp pace-wise.

Kobayashi always seems to turn it on for his home race, Di Resta is beginning to drive very maturely in Force India that is finishing the season off strongly & Senna is continuing to show promise. Add into the mix the unknown of the STRs and the midfield is a great source of racing at this stage of the season!

Singapore was a great race between these teams, and I'm really curious how the pendulum will swing at Suzuka. I have an inkling Force India is best suited to the track, but that is somewhat countered by Kobayashi's pace here.

A tough one to call for the race to 9th!
Kobayashi I agree was fantastic last year in his home race. However I fear that last year; this was a surprise move in a place most drivers didn't expect; the others got "mugged" as Brundle says. This year, it could be very different; the other drivers already would know that the hairpin is a Kobayashi favorite. I remember watching Valencia this year that those ahead of Kobayashi; when Kobayashi was close enough; was defending into the last corner; which was of course where he dived down the inside of Buemi.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Fil

Yeah you're right Raymond. Although, there's not much that can be done about a dive into the hairpin. They can defend the inside, which will only give the pursuer a better drive onto the long run to Spoon Curve.

My main point being, the midfield battle for 9th/10th is far more fascinating than the battle for the top 8 positions. Singapore was fascinating for this, and now with an opposite in nature track, Suzuka will be even more fascinating!

Will Force India's revival continue, will Sauber keep up with them, will STR pop back up to do battle with them, and who knows with the inconsistent Renault too? And then Williams' upgrades may just get them in amongst the pack too!

It's an awesome midfield to watch do battle!! Sometimes I wish we lost/ignored the top 4 teams - the battle would then be magnificent! :D
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

raymondu999

Come to think of it, there's not much they can do, is there? Koba dived the inside, sure, but on Sutil I think it was, and Alguersuari; he went completely around the outside. And it has to be noted that he went cleanly too. No contact was made.

And I actually feel the Sauber will have better pace here than the Findias. they seem to have the best L/D ratio out of the midfield since 2010 in these high downforce sweeping circuits
失败者找理由,成功者找方法