Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for RBR to clinch the title here. Will they?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 61

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

andartop wrote: With regards to the latest Hamilton incident, after all the aggression expressed by fellow forum members against Felipe it seems LH did the right thing and took responsibility (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2695 ... a-contact/) for what was clearly his fault: he might not have actually seen Massa, but he sure as hell knew he was way too slow out of 130R. Still, I don't think that was worthy of any penalty. Now we'll probably have a few posts explaining how it was not Lewis' fault, despite the fact he apologized for it.. :roll:
Actually, what is interesting is how the two drivers spoke about it afterwards. Hamilton holds his hand up and admits his error before going on to say he has the utmost respect for Massa and how well Massa drove. Massa, on the other hand, ranted on about it like a man losing his marbles. It feels like Massa is latching on to Hamilton as a target for what must be his worries over his Ferrari and F1 career. He looks like a beaten man. Which is sad when one remembers how well he dealt with the 2008 title result on the Brazil podium etc. He is a different man.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vall
vall

Just_a_fan wrote:
andartop wrote: With regards to the latest Hamilton incident, after all the aggression expressed by fellow forum members against Felipe it seems LH did the right thing and took responsibility (http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2695 ... a-contact/) for what was clearly his fault: he might not have actually seen Massa, but he sure as hell knew he was way too slow out of 130R. Still, I don't think that was worthy of any penalty. Now we'll probably have a few posts explaining how it was not Lewis' fault, despite the fact he apologized for it.. :roll:
Actually, what is interesting is how the two drivers spoke about it afterwards. Hamilton holds his hand up and admits his error before going on to say he has the utmost respect for Massa and how well Massa drove. Massa, on the other hand, ranted on about it like a man losing his marbles. It feels like Massa is latching on to Hamilton as a target for what must be his worries over his Ferrari and F1 career. He looks like a beaten man. Which is sad when one remembers how well he dealt with the 2008 title result on the Brazil podium etc. He is a different man.
just count how many times Massa was hit by LH this year and you will start to understand why he is raging.

andartop
andartop

Just_a_fan wrote: It feels like Massa is latching on to Hamilton as a target for what must be his worries over his Ferrari and F1 career. He looks like a beaten man. Which is sad when one remembers how well he dealt with the 2008 title result on the Brazil podium etc. He is a different man.
It could be simpler than that you know, it could be he just got sick of being crashed into by LH, after Monza last year, Monaco, Singapore and Suzuka...
Surely, Massa seems to be having other problems this year, but having a guy that keeps playing destruction derby with you certainly doesn't help his efforts!
Judging from the performances I saw today I thought both Massa and Hamilton looked like beaten men..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

godlameroso

Enough bickering, anyone else thought that Perez put in a sublime drive, to go from 17th to 9th?
Saishū kōnā

jamsbong
jamsbong

n smikle wrote: I think that if the season started like how it is now, Vettel would just be like Vettel of 2010. A normal, mortal driver. Notice how frustrated he was at that backmarker. :lol: Waving his fist around like he's shooting dice. Frustrations setting in.. or VEttel's true colours showing up.
Vettel like every driver in the world is only a human, not a machine. Even the Iceman Kimi can get frustrated (with Ferrari).

PlatinumZealot

WhiteBlue wrote:
n smikle wrote: Maybe the real Vettel we will see next year if Mclaren, Ferrari and Merc do a good job and we get more close races.
Wishful thinking of a Hamilton fan IMO. We know how good Vettel is and no talking down will change that.
andartop wrote: Let us not forget this was a championship deciding race. Remember how poorly others have performed under similar pressure, ie Lewis in Brazil 2008, Button in Brazil 2009, Webber and Alonso in Abu Dhabi last year..
I was not referring to his performance, I was referring to his character. Only a few drivers both past and present shake their fists at other drivers. And those drivers are usually painted as the "bad guys."

Even though Vettel has been driving for 5 years, we still don't know who is really is. Maybe having won those two WDC his is more confident with expressing his feelings. I think that shaking of the fist was a sign of things to come in the future.

I have my views of what his true character is but I will watch and see if it really what I think it is.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

andartop wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: It feels like Massa is latching on to Hamilton as a target for what must be his worries over his Ferrari and F1 career. He looks like a beaten man. Which is sad when one remembers how well he dealt with the 2008 title result on the Brazil podium etc. He is a different man.
It could be simpler than that you know, it could be he just got sick of being crashed into by LH, after Monza last year, Monaco, Singapore and Suzuka...
Surely, Massa seems to be having other problems this year, but having a guy that keeps playing destruction derby with you certainly doesn't help his efforts!
Judging from the performances I saw today I thought both Massa and Hamilton looked like beaten men..
If he didn't want to crash into Hamilton why did he try to overtake around the OUTSIDE of a low speed chicane. Which driver is going to be looking AWAY from the chicane into their outside mirror right after a 300km/hr turn...In my view Massa wanted to get under Hamilton's skin, frustrate him a bit, and it didn't work! lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

marcush. wrote: As for Button ..he has really outshined Hamilton in this race . I think Hamilton and Button have different setups or maybe it´s just better suited to Jenson having the car a bit more understeery.
Yes Button is outshining Hamilton now, and I am afraid he might even beat him at the end of the year. Hamilton has never been beaten by a teammate in his LIFE much less in Formula 1. And to me it not even like Jenson beat Hamilton. It is Mclaren and Hamilton beating Hamilton.

I do not know if Hamilton can turn around a 32 point Deficit in 4 races against Button who shares the same car. But If anyone can do it he can.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jamsbong
jamsbong

WhiteBlue wrote:
n smikle wrote: Maybe the real Vettel we will see next year if Mclaren, Ferrari and Merc do a good job and we get more close races.
Wishful thinking of a Hamilton fan IMO. We know how good Vettel is and no talking down will change that.
In 2010, Vettel had reliability problems and the car was only strong at certain tracks. He still end up winning eventhough he is being chased down by 4 champions.

His smiley face is a disguise for the public to see. He often said stuff that relates to 'keeping a level head', 'don't get too comfortable'. This means the kid is highly motivated despite the record breaking success. I think the real Vettel yet to surface. Remember, this kid is so young, he is still learning and improving!

donskar
donskar

n smikle wrote:
marcush. wrote: As for Button ..he has really outshined Hamilton in this race . I think Hamilton and Button have different setups or maybe it´s just better suited to Jenson having the car a bit more understeery.
Yes Button is outshining Hamilton now, and I am afraid he might even beat him at the end of the year. Hamilton has never been beaten by a teammate in his LIFE much less in Formula 1. And to me it not even like Jenson beat Hamilton. It is Mclaren and Hamilton beating Hamilton.

I do not know if Hamilton can turn around a 32 point Deficit in 4 races against Button who shares the same car. But If anyone can do it he can.
Hamilton is a product of McLaren. They have invested a lot of time and money in him. And he has repaid them with a WDC. There is no reason why McL would NOT give him less than their best. If you agree with that analysis, then you might also agree with this opinion: Button beats Hamilton not with one-lap speed, but with intelligence, maturity, and racecraft. This year, at least, Button has been the better overall driver.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

donskar
donskar

godlameroso wrote:Enough bickering, anyone else thought that Perez put in a sublime drive, to go from 17th to 9th?
I'd certainly like to see him in the other Ferrari next year. Massa needs a fresh start elsewhere.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ell66
ell66

donskar wrote:
n smikle wrote:

Hamilton is a product of McLaren. They have invested a lot of time and money in him. And he has repaid them with a WDC. There is no reason why McL would NOT give him less than their best. If you agree with that analysis, then you might also agree with this opinion: Button beats Hamilton not with one-lap speed, but with intelligence, maturity, and racecraft. This year, at least, Button has been the better overall driver.
He obviously doesnt mean mclaren have done it on purpose...but its clear hes been let down by the team on quite a few occasions, throw in mistakes and atrocious bad luck and you have this situation.
This year will only make him stronger, he's still the fastest guy out there.

ringo

Massa, oh massa.
Race destruction huh? :lol:
Came back round full circle. 8)

Suzuka needs more laps though. The race is kind of short lived.
For Sure!!

Ray

n smikle wrote:
I was not referring to his performance, I was referring to his character. Only a few drivers both past and present shake their fists at other drivers. And those drivers are usually painted as the "bad guys."

Even though Vettel has been driving for 5 years, we still don't know who is really is. Maybe having won those two WDC his is more confident with expressing his feelings. I think that shaking of the fist was a sign of things to come in the future.

I have my views of what his true character is but I will watch and see if it really what I think it is.
I imagine your view of what Vettel "is" is probably completely wrong. The man has left everybody to pick up his scraps for the entire year, made barely a handful of mistakes this year, and has won the championship while making it look like childs play. He's 24. Has no manager. Has driven his ass off without a single shred of controversy. Your only basis for your opinion is based on one wave of a fist in one race? Vettel waves his hand once at a backmarker and all the sudden he's a "bad guy"? Grow up dude. Vettel is a level-headed overachiever. Has been since he stepped into Formula 1. There's nothing else to know about him, what else could you gather from his behavior over five years? Should he start ramming people like others? Should he start hitting people in press conferences? Should he tell Adrian Newey or Christian Horner to "go --- swivel" over live radio? Should he get together with his Dad and threaten to leave the team when they aren't at the very front of the grid?

CHT
CHT

n smikle wrote:

anything can happen at Mclaren. A loose wheel nut will be enough to let Lewis turn it around.