Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for RBR to clinch the title here. Will they?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 61

raymondu999

Re: Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

Really? DRS + dirty air through 130R? Sounds like an airplane crash waiting to happen. I think we'd be lucky for the FIA not to ban DRS there; let alone put the zone there
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kaneda
Kaneda

I'm going to visit Suzuka next weekend! I'm so excited! :D Of course, I'll be cheering our national hero "Kamui"

As for DRS, I think it will be easy flatout at 130R even with DRS on. If I remembered correctly, many drivers used DRS at Blancimont in Spa. So I think it'll be okay.

Hello, greetings from Japan.
My Suzuka F1 video: The epic Esses
https://youtu.be/OpE4481PAmM

raymondu999

ようこそ Kaneda-san! I hope I got that correct. In qualifying I think probably it will be flat+DRS; but in the race, with heavy fuel, with old tyres (sometimes) I don't think it will be (if they put the DRS zone there
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

It's good to see a that Kamui is drawing fans to the forum.

I don't think DRS should be used on this track. Not for safety reasons, but for race quality reasons.

If it aint broke dont fix it.
For Sure!!

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

raymondu999 wrote:Really? DRS + dirty air through 130R? Sounds like an airplane crash waiting to happen. I think we'd be lucky for the FIA not to ban DRS there; let alone put the zone there
Well that's why I said depending on how the cars cope, will the FIA make a decision before Friday practise? Or will they see how the cars get on and then decide if they are going to allow it through 130r?

raymondu999

I thought the FIA had it in their sporting regs that DRS will always be announced before FP1? But then again I remember they changed it for China so yeah
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

beelsebob wrote:
godlameroso wrote:The track most like Suzuka is Silverstone, they both have a lot of high speed sweepers, and some high speed decreasing radius corners. The teams that were fast there will be fast here.
Except that the lack of EBD in silverstone seriously skewed results.
EBD was still very much present at Silverstone.There was just a limit on the amount of off-throttle blowing.

raymondu999

Yes; but that's being a bit pedantic. Beelsebob obviously meant off-throttle blowing
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

I don't think you need to put DRS on the exit of Spoon, I think it's fine on the front straight, that's where it will most likely be.

Also drivers were F-ducting through the 130R last year.
Saishū kōnā

wesley123
wesley123

ringo wrote:If it aint broke ruin it.

Here fixed it to fit the FIA slogan
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:I don't think you need to put DRS on the exit of Spoon, I think it's fine on the front straight, that's where it will most likely be.

Also drivers were F-ducting through the 130R last year.
130 meter radius eh.

Dirty calculation:

assuming 4.5g's maximum of turn taking acceleration...

Accelration of the cars around this arc = velocity^2 / radius.

Let's find the maxium velocity around this turn... Notice that the speed of of the car in this case would be independent of whether the F-duct/DRS is on or off. The tyres only see the net acceleration of the car - no matter how much drag you want to carry through the turn.

Radius = 130m
Acceleration = 4.5 G

Velocity = SQRT( 130m * 4.5*9.81 m.s^-2)
= 75 m/s

This is 270 km/hr

So 270km/hr through 130R is what we can expect.

With 5g acceleration which we sometimes see (turn 9 Turkey was 4.8?)

that max speed would be 284 km/hr

---------------------------------------------------------

Edit. I just realised somethnig... The radius of the turnmay be more than 130 meters, but the racing line's radius varies, and it maybe much more than 130m could be even 200m! this puts less stress on the tyres and the cars can go faster. So disregard the above calculations...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Aced

Vettel is going to win, but Red Bull aren't going to be so far away from McLaren. Hamilton will be very strong here. He has the advantage in qualifying, plus the track I believe suits Hamiltons style. So it's going to be close between Hamilton and Button for 2nd unless Hamilton doesn't actually improves/is lucky on his race management. Else I believe Jenson could grab another 2nd despite people expecting for him to have a somewhat poorer result. And Alonso just doesnt have the car to fight for a podium unless one of the guys in front screws up. So again I believe it comes down to his consistency and luck.

Kaneda
Kaneda

n smikle wrote: Edit. I just realised somethnig... The radius of the turnmay be more than 130 meters,
Yeah, they changed it to 85R and 340R of double turns after McNish's horrible crash in 2002.
Even Super GT and F-Nippon cars can go flat at 130R nowadays.
My Suzuka F1 video: The epic Esses
https://youtu.be/OpE4481PAmM

godlameroso

Super GT can go flat out through there when they're qualifying, in the race, taking it flat out destroys your tires too quickly.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

I don't think an F1 car would have that problem through 130R in terms of destroying tyres in the race though. But we'll have to wait and see I guess.

One thing's for sure though. I sincerely wish Lewis would have an incident and controversy-free race in Suzuka. It's getting boring that all the threads are just about his incidents
失败者找理由,成功者找方法