Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

It's theoretically possible for RBR to clinch the title here. Will they?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 61

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Japanese GP 2011 - Suzuka

130R is pretty quick to get through similar to copse and unlike turn 8 at istanbul where there's a continuous loading for a very long period. For sure it will be hard on tyres though, I expect we'll see plenty of marbles off line. but with all things considered, they can probably 3 stop this race even with the medium tyre instead of the more durable hard tyre as the prime.

raymondu999

Is the loading not less than Copse though? It's a more gradual curve, is it not? Less steering lock required?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Yes but even when he does, a la Monza, then people still get divided and opinionated.

raymondu999

To be fair that wasn't an "controversy-free" race. Schumi's moves were controversial as it split opinions so much
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Yeah fair enough.

Lycoming
Lycoming

raymondu999 wrote:Is the loading not less than Copse though? It's a more gradual curve, is it not? Less steering lock required?
I dont know about steering lock but the g forces are similar. My point was they're both fast, flat out 7th gear corners that are over with very quickly. I would actually think 130R to be more gradual.

godlameroso

I'd say it's more like the second part of Eau Rouge, and an F1 car has more DF and less weight than a Super GT car, after 2002, the 130R just isn't as challenging as it used to be for an F1 car.
Saishū kōnā

kalinka
kalinka

Those fast corners are really challenging for the engine though. Any info on who could be in danger regarding the engine situation ?
I hardly remember any blow-up from top teams in 2011.

beelsebob
beelsebob

kalinka wrote:Those fast corners are really challenging for the engine though. Any info on who could be in danger regarding the engine situation ?
I hardly remember any blow-up from top teams in 2011.
I don't think there's been any blow up from them yet – last year the only one I can remember was Vettel in Korea. I doubt we'll see more than 1 through the entire course of this year either.

raymondu999

The only blowups; I believe, happened during the Silverstone shenanigans
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Peter Windsor wrote:DRS detection zone for Japanese GP at Suzuka: exit of 130R. Activation zone: pit straight. #f1
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shrieker

Exit of 130 R ? Isn't that contradicting with the idea behind DRS a bit ? Fastest corner in the circuit, hard to keep within 1 sec. of the car in front, or get into 1 sec. of it if you're not...

The braking into the last corner, or the middle of the last corner are better candites in terms of giving the chasing driver much better chance to get in the 1 second zone. But I guess they can't process the data fast enough and make a decision so it got looked over.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Tim.Wright

Why would it be harder to remain within 1sec on a fast corner compared to a slow corner?

In my mind the gap to the car in front is relatively independant of speed. Of course the distance varies with speed, but the time delta should stay more or leses the same.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

raymondu999

In a braking zone; you've had a slipstream to reduce the time delta; whereas through a fast corner you'd have dirty air slowing you down.

I think it depends on how 130R is classed in the race; a kink, or a corner?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

Tim.Wright wrote:Why would it be harder to remain within 1sec on a fast corner compared to a slow corner?

In my mind the gap to the car in front is relatively independant of speed. Of course the distance varies with speed, but the time delta should stay more or leses the same.
The gap is directly proportional to the size of the car in front's wake, and the amount of downforce necessary. Both are higher in a fast corner.