Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
korzeniow
korzeniow

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

When was this picture taken from? And when? Do you have any link? Anyone speaks Japaneese?

As for the picture for me it looks like ordinary DRS flap mechanism.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Huntresa
Huntresa

Isnt it the standard thingie many teams use? Not using the entire widht of the wing and adding this instead, i think red bull did it last year and its been there on the lotus all year.

Blackout

march 2012
Blackout wrote:
madly wrote:Image
Ferrari style slits

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 31#p324431

korzeniow
korzeniow

from another angle:

in the action:

right-click and select open in new tab for hi-res
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Can someone tell me why there is a little triangular section missing from the middle top section of the rear wing? ive seen it on a couple of F1 cars.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

shelly
shelly

Iirc is is related to airflow reattachment when drs closes - to make reattachment always start from the same point - but I am not sure
twitter: @armchair_aero

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Or vortex formation?

Brian

wesley123
wesley123

hardingfv32 wrote:Or vortex formation?

Brian
I'd asume you talk about reduction of a vortex.

But OT:
What Shelly says is what I agree with, it helps reattachment of the airflow when DRS closes, and overall helps a little in preventing stall.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aral
aral

wesley123 wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:Or vortex formation?

Brian
I'd asume you talk about reduction of a vortex.

But OT:
What Shelly says is what I agree with, it helps reattachment of the airflow when DRS closes, and overall helps a little in preventing stall.
I would imagine that BOTH comments are correct. The V alters and speeds up the flow of air at that pint, and creates a vortex, that assists re attachment.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

For my knowledge, not challenging anything....

Where on the wing surface does the flow need to be re-attached?

How do features at the very back of the wing help this?

Brian

shelly
shelly

Flow needs to be reattached on the wing - elemnts on the back make this happen because the flow is subsonic (pertubation move in every direction in the flow field).
I am not sure about your vortex idea, still I have not found some supporting material about this aero feature, because it is vey f1 specific. On a rectangular airplane wing, with no twist or chord variation, where the stall should start: root or tip? i think the answer of this question is closely realted to this v cut feature
twitter: @armchair_aero

Gridlock

Perhaps unrelated, but would "compromise airflow for car following" be a design consideration, if a secondary/tertiary one?

wesley123
wesley123

Car performance is something that is what is thought of, and considering hindering a following car by dirty air is something that is probably going to negatively impact the car it's performance, so I would say no to that question.

thisisatest
thisisatest

Is it possible the V cutout is there because the DRS actuator is in front of that part of the wing, making that little span less effective? So reducing the height there makes little difference in downforce but a larger difference in drag... Just a thought.

wesley123
wesley123

The actuator sure has some effect, and has some effect of the area behind it, but still air following the wing profiles will flow the same, that's mostly the reason behind this 'raised' actuator, to minimize the effect it has on airflow over the wing.