Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

f1motta wrote:Image
Is that an indent just behind the tip of the nose, a reflection or a different type of paint?

It looks like an indent to me, though I could be mistaken ... If that is the case, what would be the purpose behind sculpting the nose like this?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

beelsebob
beelsebob

gridwalker wrote:Is that an indent just behind the tip of the nose, a reflection or a different type of paint?

It looks like an indent to me, though I could be mistaken ... If that is the case, what would be the purpose behind sculpting the nose like this?
I was thinking that too – looking through the other shots I can't see the indent, but I'm not 100% certain.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

gridwalker wrote:
f1motta wrote:Image
Is that an indent just behind the tip of the nose, a reflection or a different type of paint?

It's just the reflection.

http://www.f1talks.pl/2012/02/05/lotus- ... e-zdjecia/

dren

That is certainly a funky tea tray/splitter. The front wing is interesting too. I can't tell if there is an inlet like Mercedes used or not. The sidepods are tighter at the rear. The last several Renaults never had very tight sidepods. I wonder if their mechanical set-up will be improved. The older Renaults were typically pretty good except for last year's car.
Honda!

gridwalker
gridwalker

Looking at the curve of the word "Renault" on the nose, it appears to have an indent IMHO.

I just can't work out why they would want to do that :?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Muulka
Muulka

Omgzzz it's asymmetrical!!!!11!!!
There's a bump on top of the chassis :o
(reference to last year's McLaren thread- everything was asymmetrical...)

Mr.S
Mr.S

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Mr.S wrote: 4th is quite a Resonable target for them. I doubt if they can get anywhere near 4th.
:?
Well I think Mercedes are going to be clearly better than Renault at this year. My feeling. The car looks meh,very so-so. There is nothing wow about it. I just dont like the car for some reason,nothing to do with the team.

And I do think of all the launches,that from the naked eye Force India car looks like a real winner. The car has been growing on me. I expect a Solid 5th from Force India this year & see them beating Lotus. Probably a very far fetched guess but apart from the FW there is nothing interesting in this car.

bhall
bhall

Without cutting and then posting the relevant picture, is there any chance my word is good enough to convince folks that there's no indenture in the Lotus nose?

stefan_
stefan_

It seems so because of the lighting and a funky reflection of the stripes in the background, but it isn't any indenture.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

ringo

Mr.S wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Mr.S wrote: 4th is quite a Resonable target for them. I doubt if they can get anywhere near 4th.
:?
Well I think Mercedes are going to be clearly better than Renault at this year. My feeling. The car looks meh,very so-so. There is nothing wow about it. I just dont like the car for some reason,nothing to do with the team.

And I do think of all the launches,that from the naked eye Force India car looks like a real winner. The car has been growing on me. I expect a Solid 5th from Force India this year & see them beating Lotus. Probably a very far fetched guess but apart from the FW there is nothing interesting in this car.
I'm thinking the opposite. The force india is 1 year behind in their detailed design features; hence why i think it will have problems finding downforce. This car has everything right on it. The colour and the simplicity is throwing us off.
Imagine if a redbull were black? would it be plain or wicked?
For Sure!!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

JohnsonsEvilTwin

What I'm seeing with the Renault is that its pretty much an R31 with broken nose, and now a very interesting looking front wing.
There is nothing that stands out, even Force India's car seems to look as the its more aggressive in undercut and tighter rear packaging compared to the previous FI.

Perhaps the changes are on the inside. We shall see in a couple of days time, but I'm a bit surprised to see a lack of flair at Renault.
More could have been done.
David Purley

bhall
bhall

Is their front wing new? They've always had the most complex interpretation of those regulations, and I can't remember what it looked like at the end of last season.

nacho
nacho

The top surface of the nose cone is slightly curved inside, but not as much as last year.

Blackout

Gui59 wrote:Thanks, from this picture ( http://cdn.f1zone.net/news/wp-content/g ... 012-10.jpg )we can clearly see it's a new car, the sidepods are more sculpted and more at the back comparing to R31.
Sidepods have been tightened that way already last year in the last GPs...
Last edited by Blackout on 06 Feb 2012, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.