Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pocketmoon

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

I'm bored :)

shelly
shelly

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

ESPImperium wrote:Chassis used in the shakedown was Mercedes AMG F1 Team F1 W03-03
Very interesting. Usually teams shakedown with #1 or #2 iirc.
twitter: @armchair_aero

diego1960

They really do look similar don't they? At least at the first glance before you start noticing the different parts and refinements. I hope that we will see a new front wing at last, it is not clear enough in the photo if it is new and also some updates for the second Barcelona test as I am sure that the other teams won't stand still but rather they will keep developing their cars. At least what I've read in the autosport forum about F2012 has made me nervous...
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Pierce89

wesley123 wrote:There seems to be a new front wing on the car too
Why do you say that? I would certainly hope you're right, I just don't see it.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

wesley123
wesley123

Look at here, the end plate is an continuous surface, seems to be mimiching the Red Bull sollution.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

DCren

Hey all of you. New to F1Technical. Looking at the pics of the W02 and W03 I think there is at least a 5cm drop in the sidepods from last year. Plus I think there will be a deeper undercut on the pods due to the fact they're not running the exhaust out the sides which I think was a lot of their early season overheating problems last year too. What do you think?

“It's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,” Michael Schumacher.

Gridlock

Can anyone confirm for me whether or not AMG have used their 100km shakedown allowance then?

This was a filming day, so: If Shakedown done, this car will be a barebones one run mostly without final mods fitted (Silverstone isn't exactly well-hidden, I think Webber was there that day for instance). Shakedown not done, when is it? Or was it at Rockingham earlier, as rumoured and where you can hide fairly well.

Ferraripilot

And compared to Mp4-27. Same angle.

The lengths appear the same. MP4-27 appears to have more volume over the engine cover area in comparison to W03 while it is apparent MP4-27 went for Red Bull shaped sidepod treatment with the exception of course being the intake.

Compared to W02, it also looks like W03 has a smaller sidepod intake opening.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gridlock wrote:Can anyone confirm for me whether or not AMG have used their 100km shakedown allowance then?

This was a filming day, so: If Shakedown done, this car will be a barebones one run mostly without final mods fitted (Silverstone isn't exactly well-hidden, I think Webber was there that day for instance). Shakedown not done, when is it? Or was it at Rockingham earlier, as rumoured and where you can hide fairly well.
I know they called it filming day but Merc said both drivers did 50km. I would say that's more than coincidence. But maybe I'm wrong.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

shelly wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Chassis used in the shakedown was Mercedes AMG F1 Team F1 W03-03
Very interesting. Usually teams shakedown with #1 or #2 iirc.
Mercedes last year used only odd numbers for their chassis numbers.

PlatinumZealot

pocketmoon wrote:I'm bored :)

revised rear suspension angles
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

I do not really understand how Mercedes would like to change this nose quickly ( if it was damaged for example) if you watch the connection point of the nose, the fine line where it is plugged to the chassis: Don`t you think that the suspension arms (or how you name them, please tell me :D ) are too far in front of that? I mean every other car has a connection point that divides those arms in the middle, so that one half of the hole where the suspension arms go into the chassis, is in the chassis itself, the other part of the hole is in the nose. The W 03 shows both arms in front of the connection point. So maybe we will see another nose in barcelona... Do you get what i mean? Cannot describe it in a better way, sorry.

mith

That good quality photo is W02. I also think that endplates seam different. We'll see in a few days.

BTW, I was interested in the camera, that was used to make those photos, so I extracted some EXIF data from it. It was shot with Canon EOS 50D with 300mm lens and 400 ISO. The photographer must have been standing quite far away, the lens was too short, so he probably cut only central part of the photo and thus a lot of the noise.

pocketmoon

[edit]Nose cameras? And is that a curve front on the wing or optical illusion ?

Mestrades
Mestrades

pocketmoon wrote:[edit]Nose cameras? And is that a curve front on the wing or optical illusion ?

The first arrow is the same that the car has on the top. Camera, sensors... And the curve, ya, I think it's an optical illusion