Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP W03

The Brawn BGP01 was a SWB car designed around the DD and a forward weight distribution. The tires have changed since then. The new nose regulations will not lower the nose to the levels of the BGP01 or the W01. See Scarb's F1 blog to see a drawing showing the limits of the new nose regulations.

I still fully expect a W02 look-a-like with a stretched body and tighter sidepods.

I am curious if anyone will pick up the U-sidepods. I am curious if Mclaren will retain them as well.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Will u pods work with Mercedes double radiator arrangement?

There is alot to be learned regards the u pods, clean air to the beam wing can provide big benefits. But I think all the teams will be looking at RBs floor and the splitter/floor relationship in conjunction with running steeper rake as well as a flexing front wing.

Those are the qualities of the winning car, and mercedes will need to at least try to replicate some of that with the W03(already there with the wing).
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

Oh I agree. I don't know if Mercedes will retain the double radiator. I heard/read somewhere that the W02 is already running single radiators. I don't know if that's true or not. As for the U-pods, it certainly worked well for Mclaren this year, so I'm not ruling it out. I do expect bendy front wings and higher rakes for next year if they can get the diffuser sealed near the rear.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I suppose it would be possible to ditch the double radiators for the W03 and with Bell in charge I expect to see something more conventional.
As for the W02 with single radiators, I'm not sure. Haven't seen anything regards the change, and it would quite a big change given the space they're working with(shortest car on the grid by some margin).

I just want to see something basic, that can be upgraded throughout the season. Like a moving laboratory so that the team can learn from for 2013. If that means 4th fastest again, but a win capable car in 2013 I'll take it. :D
David Purley

ringo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Nope,

Expect something along the lines of the BGP001. Lower nose, loss of EBD etc.
No those noses are inferior.
What you will find is that the noses will look the same as they are now, but they will simply slop downward.
The cars will look like woody wood pecker that's for sure.

As for the U pods. you can look at winter testing and silverstone 2011 to see that they don't work so well if the diffuser or floor isn't blown.

Mclaren say 6% of the car will be retained, kind of doubtful they'll keeps the U pods.

As for mercedes, a longer car would work wonders. That's all really, and more attention to detail.
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So expect a virgin-esque nose then, ringo?

And Mclaren etaining only 6% of the car is phenomenal. Probably their rear wing.
David Purley

ringo

more like a mp4-26 nose i guess.
For Sure!!

Pierce89

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:So expect a virgin-esque nose then, ringo?

And Mclaren etaining only 6% of the car is phenomenal. Probably their rear wing.
I would've thought the engine alone is more than 6%. Ok I know bad joke. But I don't see anything special. All the big teams carry over very little.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

Yes but they're usually developments of the previous year. I get the impression Ringo means 6% will be retained, 94% completely new (not developments). Is that what you're saying Ringo?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

Yeah i think that's what Mclaren are saying.
Wheel hubs, control arms and all those little under appreciated body parts.

They probably realize they aren't extreme enough.

But to get back to Mercedes, i think their new appointments will make a change. Not enough to make a winning car, but enough to root out old habits and teach new things.

They need to improve their understanding of tyres. and also they need to improve how the design the chassis.
Their chassis never impressed me, and i am talking about the honda days right up to to now.

Suprise me mercedes!!
For Sure!!

Tyler
Tyler

Wouldn't it help Mercedes to hire a tire expert, the same way McLaren hired someone from Pirelli.
This would help them with one of their weaker points, which is understanding the tires, as Ringo said.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

They employed a Bridgestone Tyre guru back in the middle of 2010. They didn't so much get tyres wrong this year as they didn't have the capacity to fully utilise the EBD concept with its short wheelbase.

You can see how the W02 isn't chewing through its tyres, you can also tell that the problem is very much centred around the balance of the car through corners. Mercedes can hang out there as long as most teams, and it can also generate heat into the tyre fairly quickly. There is certainly no Ferrari style problem with a specific compound.
The critical thing for Mercedes is that Pirelli are contemplating being more aggressive with tyres next year.
This means the car should have good wear qualities as given, along with good grip.

But this alone will not make them winners.

How will winning be attained? Solely through understanding rubber? No, I dont think so.
Mercedes need usable and efficient downforce to be able to run fast corners like the top 3. Acceleration and Braking are not problems and nor is top speed.

Every single track where their is a fast corner, Mercedes lose out badly. It is this area for me that has to be addressed before they can even contemplate podiums and victories.

Address the aero deficit, and I reckon Mercedes will be capable of good if not great things with the W03.
David Purley

Mr.S
Mr.S

I actually disagree. I think without the EBD Merc will probably loose less & the aero gap with regards to the top teams would be pretty slim. They have improved significantly in the faster corners from the start of the season.

The bigger issue this season has been hairpins & 90 degree turns. Mercedes have really struggled for mechnical grip. The car has been sliding all over the places.

Anyways Brawn gave another interview stating -> Willis is in charge of Technology while Costa is in charge of Engineering or some other stupid term. He did go on to expain that it means Willis is responsible for the aerodynamical & Costa the mechanical side. But he does not want to confine either of the two & would encourage exchange of ideas.

Bigois or John Owen would soon get the boot,that is what I think.

raymondu999

Eh? Really? I seem to remember him saying Willis would be in charge of wind tunnel, CFD etc (rather than design aero) and Costa would be in charge of design and development R&D.

Also the W02 is quite good on traction.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ferraripilot

Mr.S wrote:I actually disagree. I think without the EBD Merc will probably loose less & the aero gap with regards to the top teams would be pretty slim. They have improved significantly in the faster corners from the start of the season.

The bigger issue this season has been hairpins & 90 degree turns. Mercedes have really struggled for mechnical grip. The car has been sliding all over the places.

Anyways Brawn gave another interview stating -> Willis is in charge of Technology while Costa is in charge of Engineering or some other stupid term. He did go on to expain that it means Willis is responsible for the aerodynamical & Costa the mechanical side. But he does not want to confine either of the two & would encourage exchange of ideas.

Bigois or John Owen would soon get the boot,that is what I think.

I agree MB will lose less with their EBD being gone. They and Ferrari both never got the same benefit as Macca let alone RB