Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes GP W03

Ferraripilot wrote:I agree MB will lose less with their EBD being gone. They and Ferrari both never got the same benefit as Macca let alone RB
Agreed, except arguably RB will lose less than Macca. Macca seem to be the most aggressive (as seen in Silverstone)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:I agree MB will lose less with their EBD being gone. They and Ferrari both never got the same benefit as Macca let alone RB
Agreed, except arguably RB will lose less than Macca. Macca seem to be the most aggressive (as seen in Silverstone)
Silverstone is rather hard to judge by – Macca admitted that they played their strategy 100% as if the ruling would be reversed; and that they then 100% cocked up fuel loads and setup guesswork.

raymondu999

beelsebob - Yeah; but what else do we have to go by? Not much else...

Fuel load is a tricky one. It hindered Lewis at the end (as he had to run a lower engine mode, short shift a bit, coast a bit before braking, etc) but it would also have made him faster before he had to do that
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

We have some credible information on the W03.

Sam bird has spilled a few beans on it. First off the chassis and rear suspension were completed back in September. The car itself has been fine tuned since then.
Finally he intimates the car will be very "radicle". Going further to intimate an "innovative" radiator layout.

I'm not really sure mercedes need "radicle" right now. If it works bang out the blocks, then fine. But precedent suggests the team may miss something and a set back will halt development until the setback is nullified.

And "innovative" radiator layout? This means the double rads are probably history. Did mercedes stumble across something whole looking to fix the W02 cooling problems?
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

What's the source for that JET? I'm not doubting you - just wanted to see the original quote.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Sam bird via twitter and Merc Gp fans....
David Purley

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

According to Sam Bird, #Mercedes MGP W03 will be 'radical' car with innovative radiators layout.
http://twitter.com/#!/techF1LES/status/ ... 5408225280

#Mercedes MGP W03 chassis with rear suspension has been already prepared in factory for two months and now being fine tuned - said Sam Bird.
http://twitter.com/#!/techF1LES/status/ ... 2353913856

dren

So will we see something like Mclaren's U pods or a tighter convential side pod?
Honda!

Mr.S
Mr.S

This will be Bob Bell's baby then. Let's see. I hope it's not another dud like W02. It's very 50-50,could go either way.

Geoff Willis will probably have a small hand with an aerodynamic update package during pre-season testing & during the season. Costa,is scheduled to join next month & I dont see him contributing anything significant on the mechanical side,not sure if there is a big scope for a mechanical update anyway with W03.

This is Bob Bell's baby. All Merc's hopes & their fans now rest on Bell's shoulders. Frankly I wont be surprised if it is another innovative DUD. I do expect the "radicle"(according to Sam Bird) radiator,the rear suspension all to work around the rumoured F-duct. Maybe if you can shape the entire car around it there is scope for a significant gain. Maybe that's why Whitemarsh was saying that it is already to late to copy such an innovation & get the most out of it.

Mr.S
Mr.S

BTW very-unprofessional of Sam Bird. You cant leak away any information about next year's car from twitter. I fully expect him to get the boot after this season's GP2. Maybe Mercedes will hire Hulk or Di Resta as a 3rd driver if Force India dont hire either of the two.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Its pretty much in the time frame that ive been hearing Mercedes gave been on. One other area ive heard the MGP W03 has improved on is the KERS battery placement, as they have been laying around with a Red Bull battery placement around the gearbox so they can push the ballast further forward and get more weight on the front wheels.

Im thinking this car will be radical.

I just wish that there was a common launch where every team had to work towards a certain date or dates where all the teams go to an arena such as the O2 on London and they spend say the 21st and 22nd of January where they go and launch their cars. This would make the closed season less dull and give fans something to look forward to. I think this year is gonna be a long one for us fans this season already.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Sam bird hasnt given much away. All hes done is give a run down of where Mercedes are at present, with a scoop on their radiators.

Now if someone says they have clever radiators, but cant show you, what are you left with? Not alot.

@Espi
What are Pirelli doing with the rear tyre for 2012? Aren't they making it softer in relation to the fronts? Would this mean weight needs to shifted forwards as you intimate?
David Purley

raymondu999

JET; weight distribution is still mandated with the 291-342 spread there is this year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:JET; weight distribution is still mandated with the 291-342 spread there is this year.
I assumed it was for 2011 only.

Why would Mercedes be bringing mass forwards otherwise? As Espi is suggesting?
David Purley

raymondu999

If the balance of grip next year shift rearwards in terms of the tyres you'd want more weight at the rear no? So as to reduce a bit of the understeer
失败者找理由,成功者找方法