Did Bernie lie?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Did Bernie lie?

Yes, Grands Prix racing existed before Bernie etc. but one can not argue that over the last 20 years Bernie hasn't been a driving force behind making it the marketing show that it currently is. It's him who has driven the move in to new marketplaces (whether that has been a successful move is moot). I think that had F1 continued as it did back in Balestre's day, it wouldn't be the global TV event it is now, for example. There are other big motorsport series out there that cover the world but are/have struggled to keep the audience and competitor interest because they just don't get the TV coverage e.g. WRC.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Richard
Richard

The court heard on Thursday that Eddie Jordan, now a BBC pundit, quadruple world champion Alain Prost, and the late Arrows boss Tom Walkinshaw - all former Formula One team owners - were each paid $10 million to sign the 1998 Concorde Agreement.

The money was reportedly paid straight from Ecclestone's Bambino family trust into the bosses' personal bank accounts, not to their respective F1 teams.
I wonder if Jordon will be asked about this on the BBC? I suspect the beeb will wait until the case is over to avoid contempt of court.

Also the Bambino trust bit is interesting, I thought that was meant to be independent of the F1 business?

MOWOG

I think the point of all this is that you can't run a business that brings together some of the biggest egos in the history of mankind whilst adhering to the highest moral principles. Bernie is a liar, a charlatan, a cheat, a chiseler, a swindler and a self aggrandizing egomaniac.

Formula One is like sausage. You can enjoy it, but that doesn't necessarily mean you want to see how it is made. :wtf:

Btw, the description of Bernie above is apposite to free enterprise and capitalism in general, but that discussion is beyond the scope of this board. :-"
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

xpensive
xpensive

The worst part is his business idea nowadays is to go directly after the taxpayers' money for the races, disgusting if you ask me.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

MOWOG

Actually, what is REALLY disgusting is that the taxpayers and their elected officials allow their pockets to be picked so easily. :oops:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

dans79

MOWOG wrote:Actually, what is REALLY disgusting is that the taxpayers and their elected officials allow their pockets to be picked so easily. :oops:
The average human is a complete moron.
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

MOWOG wrote:Actually, what is REALLY disgusting is that the taxpayers and their elected officials allow their pockets to be picked so easily. :oops:
Banks are robbing the world on a daily basis, even whole governments.
If people really understood the system we would have a revolution tomorrow.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

adrianjordan

richard_leeds wrote:
The court heard on Thursday that Eddie Jordan, now a BBC pundit, quadruple world champion Alain Prost, and the late Arrows boss Tom Walkinshaw - all former Formula One team owners - were each paid $10 million to sign the 1998 Concorde Agreement.

The money was reportedly paid straight from Ecclestone's Bambino family trust into the bosses' personal bank accounts, not to their respective F1 teams.
I wonder if Jordon will be asked about this on the BBC? I suspect the beeb will wait until the case is over to avoid contempt of court.

Also the Bambino trust bit is interesting, I thought that was meant to be independent of the F1 business?
I wonder if this is part of what Gribkowsky was allegedly threatening him over...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Let's inject some humour into this thread...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg90HABOy4[/youtube]
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hail22

Is Bernie Ecclestone trying to indirectly float the idea to the hearing he may have the early onset of dementia?

Bernie Ecclestone told the high court in London on Monday: "I have a bit of a difficulty to remember what happened last week."
At one point Philip Marshall QC, representing Constantin Medien, asked a question about Bambino Holdings, Ecclestone's family trust, which referred to 2002. Ecclestone replied: "I'm learning a lot, for which I thank you, because this was 12 [sic] years ago. I have a bit of difficulty to remember what happened last week."
Source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/n ... -one-court

If he thinks that's going to work, he'll soon find out all his press interviews will be used as evidence that he has no form of memory loss.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

jknights
jknights

Hail22 wrote:Is Bernie Ecclestone trying to indirectly float the idea to the hearing he may have the early onset of dementia?

Bernie Ecclestone told the high court in London on Monday: "I have a bit of a difficulty to remember what happened last week."
At one point Philip Marshall QC, representing Constantin Medien, asked a question about Bambino Holdings, Ecclestone's family trust, which referred to 2002. Ecclestone replied: "I'm learning a lot, for which I thank you, because this was 12 [sic] years ago. I have a bit of difficulty to remember what happened last week."
Source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/n ... -one-court

If he thinks that's going to work, he'll soon find out all his press interviews will be used as evidence that he has no form of memory loss.
:lol: I'm sure that that Bernie has dementia or it it megalomania ?

BTW: Early onset dementia is defined as where dementia is diagnosed and the patient is less than 65 years old. So Bernie would actually fall into the late onset group as he is over 80 yrs old. I think in truth it is more like selective memory.

Richard
Richard

He does have an amazing ability to disable a line of questioning. Its typical Bernie to be self deprecating in dismissing a question without being rude. He's forever saying "Really? I hadn't noticed" in response to a crisis.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

bernie seems to own almost a natural way of dismissing quite straight-to-the-point issues in a rather disempowering and almost playful manner, without making a comedy out of it. Obvious he has highly developed persuasive skills, i think there's zero doubt there - he wouldn't have gotten F1 to the places, countries and 'brand' that it is today if he hadn't perfected those skills, which seem to come in very handy in the most diverse situations. He somehow seems to always 'linger around in the background' yet has total control over all the aspects, and i'm kinda expecting him to do the same in court, and the signs are already showing that, yes.
I think him returning through that revolving door is actually deliberate, playing the crowd, befriend the public, entertainer first class. I have no doubt he's as corrupt and even worse as blatter, briatore, the spygate affair, etc. He does have a way of dealing with it in a very 'innocent' way, always bouncing back the ball that is handed to him.

but yeah, bernie lied. 'clean' and 'innocent' don't really fit his profile nor does it come with the job i think.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

kalinka
kalinka

Here is some insight on the latest developments in his case :

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... cclestone/

It raises more questions than it answers IMHO.

Ted68

So Bernie wants to be replaced by Horner?

If you read the story linked below, the governing body states Bernie would be replaced if found guilty of wrong doing. The reporter then leaps to Bernie's statements that he hopes he can get Horner into his position. The spin put on this report reads that Bernie himself doesn't have much confidence in coming away innocent.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131122/F1/131129937
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.