Little Wings

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
akbar21881
akbar21881

bernard wrote:
Anonymous wrote:The car is a modified F2004, not an F2003 mod
Are you sure about that? :wink:
There are two versions thy are running in tests right now, one is a modified F2003GA, the other a F2004.
Really? which photo shows this??

Reca
Reca

akbar21881 wrote: As I can see the little wings have a very short chord.And the top little wing seem to touch the bottom of the full-span wing.How can such as short chord wing produce a meaningful amount of downforce? or is it there just to condition the airflow by accelerating the air that pass under the main wing and hence increase the downforce of the main wing?
About the lower wing I think it could be to avoid pitch sensitivity problems as it happened in previous examples (i.e. Benetton B201). The wing is probably at the minimum allowed height (50 mm above RP AFAIK), so the ground clearance is probably about 7-8 cm. In a few studies about wings in ground effect that I’ve seen (although they were obviously about isolated wings) the critical ground clearance (when the wing stalls) is around 20-30% of the chord, so a chord longer than, say, 10 cm, could have some problems. That in theory, obviously.
akbar21881 wrote:
bernard wrote: There are two versions thy are running in tests right now, one is a modified F2003GA, the other a F2004.
Really? which photo shows this??
F2004M is obviously a modified F2004.
Luca on the F2004
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/photos/200 ... _181.shtml
MS on the F2004M
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/photos/200 ... _177.shtml

Luca used actually a F2003GA last week in Fiorano during a meeting with about 50 Italians athletes who won medals in Athens, but I read that it was also planned some tests on electronics, don’t know if that same day or the following one.

i was juz curious..y do ferrari put the extra wing asymetrically? it clearly looks more aligned to one side...

It's just the angle the picture was taken at. If you viewed the car head on, you would see it's symetrical.