BAR007: If its not CVT what is it?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
KJM3
KJM3

The FIA approved their transmission, so if it's as good as I hope it is, it could lead to a HUGE gain on the track for BAR Honda!

Does anyone know how many times an F1 car shifts per-race?

I remember the number being quite high, but I forgot what it was!

- KJ

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 02 Sep 2009, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

Scuderia_Russ

DaveKillens wrote: Hmm, sounds like that could lead to some theoretical advantages in racing.
They wouldn't run it and Ferrari wouldn't have asked for clarification if it didn't Dave.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hey dave,
yeah it was Mclaren that were looking at introducing a twin clutch system at the start of last season i think... have to go back and check on that. never heard anymore about it and put a post up here last week checking if anyone else had... not much response though.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 02 Sep 2009, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

dumrick
dumrick

I can't believe it! :( :(
I was in vacations last week and didn't know about this issue. I've be an afternoon in the Jerez tests and didn't even pay attention to the sound of the BAR gearbox...

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

ahh man i wish i could go and watch F1 testing.... maybe one year i will make the trek....
let us know whether there is a distinct change in engine note or not.

dumrick
dumrick

-shr3d- wrote:ahh man i wish i could go and watch F1 testing.... maybe one year i will make the trek....
let us know whether there is a distinct change in engine note or not.
If you mean comparing to last season, I wouldn't know, because of lack of term of comparison. What I can tell you is that, if the F2004 (not M) that was testing Wednesday, 9 had last year's engine, it was not noticeable the difference to this one's.

Furthermore, I can say that the most annoying engine sound was the Mercedes, what could come from higher frequency from higher revs. The others were similar in the red line, except for Red Bull's Ford that didn't seem to have such high pitch (lower max revs?). I could have had an frequency analizer... :P
The other thing that I noticed was that in low revs (I was standing at the chicane version of Alex Criville turn) the BMW had a very peculiar sound, high volume, low frequency cavernous sound, where the other engines were hardly noticeable. Maybe some distinct acoustic intake device????

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

was actually referring to whether you could hear the difference on the BAR with the new gearbox but excellent round up anyway dumrick.
Look forward to hearing them in Melbourne. :)

dumrick
dumrick

Sorry, I misunderstood you. As I said in a previous post, I had no Internet and, so, was unaware of BAR's development and didn't pay attention... :oops: :oops: ...I don't recall now hearing anything strange, but I could have just not noticed. I wad dazzled about the speed of the gearshifts though, but that was a general impression.

But we trust you to, following Melbourne, tell us about it!

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

no problemo... will be there for all days so will let u know... :)

bernard
bernard

Bar is not the only one using this system this year, at least three(IIRC) other teams have a similar system this season. This was from a statement by Whiting, though this is another IIRC.
I suspect the other teams on this system are Mclaren, who have been very protective of their gearbox, Ferrari who had to lengthen the design process of F2005 because of their gearbox, and then... hmm... lets say Jordan. :P Scarbs wrote in his review that they had trouble attaching their gearbox to the toyota engine, so maybe this is because their gearbox is simply too damn advanced for toyota. :shock: :D

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Actually Jordans problem was that they didn't have enough time to design and build a completly new gearbox for the Toyota engine and since the Toyota engine has a diferente crank height (then the Cosworht engine) Jordan had to make a kind of adapter to install the 2004 gearbox on the Toyota engine.

bernard
bernard

Monstrobolaxa wrote:Actually Jordans problem was that they didn't have enough time to design and build a completly new gearbox for the Toyota engine and since the Toyota engine has a diferente crank height (then the Cosworht engine) Jordan had to make a kind of adapter to install the 2004 gearbox on the Toyota engine.
No kidding. I seriously thought the reason was Jordan's(Midland's) super advanced space-age gearbox. :shock:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Didn't get the joke! :lol: