Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gerishnikov
gerishnikov

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

volarchico wrote:
gerishnikov wrote:If you are referring to the chequer board carbon, it is simply a hybrid if ud carbon running at 0 degrees and 90 degrees, often used on bodywork as it is stiff and light but its not very strong. Oh it is definitely not easier to form in to complex shapes regular ud, 2x2t or a 5h material would be much nicer.
Yes, but there are different weaves of 0/90 carbon. I'm no expert, but spread tow carbon seems to have a larger checker pattern than the rest of the 0/90 used throughout the car.
that's because the other types of carbon typically used are 2x2 twill and 5harness woven material, these are fairly stiff and strong whereas the chequer board is stiff but not strong making it ideal for bodywork as opposed to structural components.

kris
kris

FrukostScones wrote:Image
Is that tyre degradation on the inner edges of the rear tires due to exhaust positioning/heat?

Coefficient
Coefficient

kris wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:<Image>
Is that tyre degradation on the inner edges of the rear tires due to exhaust positioning/heat?

Assymetric exhausts too. :D :D
Last edited by Richard on 20 Feb 2012, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed large image quoted from post above
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Mandrake
Mandrake

It's the DRS actuator you're seeing there ;) Exhausts are perfectly symetric here ;)

dren

shelly wrote:Interesting features:
-exhaust position
-sidepod not undercut but touching the external edge of the floor instead
-large use of spread tow carbon
Looks like they are using the downwash from over the sidepods to work with the exhaust. Sort of similar to what Mclaren are doing and to an extent Ferrari.
Honda!

shelly
shelly

I agree. Some days ago I was thinking exhaust could be used to deflect some flow upwards, but it sems that using the flow to deflect them downwards what is being done.
It is very difficult to make prediction or educated guesses at this point.
Also last year all the discussion on exhaust did not bring the level of shared knowledge on this forum much forward I think.

One could maybe make some conjecture based on estimate and momentum conservation equations, it would be interesting to see if the "scratches" on the mclaren floor are really burns caused by the exhausts.
twitter: @armchair_aero

PlatinumZealot

kris wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:<image>
I think these exhausts can give small EBD effect because the downwash off the sidepods might be strong enough to redirect the exhaust at certain speeds.

It should be investigated in CFD.
Last edited by Richard on 20 Feb 2012, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed large image quoted from post above
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

n smikle wrote:I think these exhausts can give small EBD effect because the downwash off the sidepods might be strong enough to redirect the exhaust at certain speeds.
Problem is, it wouldn't help you much when your at slower to medium speeds... drop off would be greater than V^2.

For example, in Suzuka, while it might be great in 130R, it might not help so much through the S-curves at the start of the lap.

senftl
senftl

As they have their heat resistant surface down to the car's floor, I'd guess they try to make use of the Coanda effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coand%C4%83_effect); and hope that the exhaust gases follow the shape of the sidepods downwards onto the diffuser.

naniSauber
naniSauber

i really hope Sauber isnt breaking any rules with that exhaust positioning

MIKEY_!

I can't see anything wrong with it.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Mandrake wrote:It's the DRS actuator you're seeing there ;) Exhausts are perfectly symetric here ;)
I know, just attempting to introduce a little humour by harking back to the old assymetry furore of a few seasons ago.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

bar555
bar555

diffuser launch spec details

:arrow: link - ANALYSIS
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

bhall
bhall

I'm pretty sure I've figured out the purpose of the "vent" in the nose.

It's not a vent at all.

Their next nose will likely feature a step very similar to the one on the STR7. Due to the chassis being homologated, the shallow slope between the ridges had to be built-in as a permanent fixture even if it wasn't going to be used with the nose they brought to the first test.

It's anticlimactic, but I'm dead certain that's the reason for it.

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

isn't the crash structure also homologated?