Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

hardingfv32 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:I will say it for the 5th time, people do not know everything from the start. People find new idea's every time, and learn more every day.
BUT, routing airflow into the cockpit is not a idea NEW. Of the many thousands of people who have raced open cockpit cars over the last 40-60 years, you do not think someone did not have the same idea?
Well if no one has thought of it before until now it actually is a new idea.

Apart from that, I said it before in my previous post, will say it again 'people do not know everything from the start. People find new idea's every time, and learn more every day.', that's why such thing is only thought of now.

Why havent people thought of internal aerodynamics before? Guess why, no one came with the idea that sculpting the internals or covering them with panels to guide the airflow through the car would help aerodynamics.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Giblet
Giblet

hardingfv32 wrote:
Giblet wrote:Please don't be so dismissive to others.
I am dismissing this theory because there is absolutely nothing out there to support it. There are some readers who might want a correct understanding of this topic. And if I am wrong I would be happy to learn why.

We have had open cockpit race for many decades. Taking ANY successful open wheel car in the last 2-3 decade and NONE are going to be routing air flow into the cockpit for aero benefit.

This is such an easy experiment to do even at the lowest levels of formula racing. No ever had the idea to route flow into the cockpit before? How about an experiment created by some form of body damage? No FF ever had a small portion of their nose damage allowing air flow into the cockpit and the noticed that they had gained 100-200 rpm on the straight?

Just seem odd that no one has discovered cockpit flow up until now.

Brian
I asked you already to not beat people over the head with what you consider right. This is becoming an ongoing issue. People are trying to have a discussion, but you are not offering anything to it. Not only that you are trying to stop others from freely discussing it.

You don't think there is anything there to exploit. It is understood. Now move on.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

PhantomPoster wrote:Someone please explain to me why they would be feeding the air into the cockpit?

I thought Scarb's diagram and the various photos shot the flow going from underneath the chassis to the top? Where has this cockpit argument stemmed from?
Sauber isn't routing air into the cockpit. As you said, it's going from underneath the nose, to the top of it.

edit: Well I'm sure they have something set up for driver cooling, but the inlet below & above is for removing a portion of the boundary layer in hopes of improving airfow under the car. :)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A little better detail on the slot/hole in the Sauber floor.

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 04 Apr 2012, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/04/04/saube ... aF1.com%29

At the end of that article there is this, "And Autosprint reports that another “trick” on the Sauber is located in front of the rear wheels, exploiting yet another “grey zone” in the regulations."

What are they referring to ?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

See the post above yours. Sauber is basically creating the slot everyone had before, but it is not a slot anymore since the slot is not joined at the edge of the floor, so it is basically just a cut into the floor requlation-wise.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It looks like its joined.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Seems odd to route flow downward into the famous tire 'squirt' zone.

Brian

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Chief Designer Matt Moris admits the Ferrari style air vent/passageway gives Sauber a little better lap times. They've built a great car for their smaller budget. Kudos to them.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... s-in-2012/

raymondu999

Morris also said the car is good in the wet - I wonder if the vent has anything to do with that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

C29
C29

Thanks for the link. From the article: "Our cars were severely damaged at the start (in Melbourne)," explained chief designer Matt Morris. "At the front for Perez, the rear for (Kamui) Kobayashi."

I had forgotten about both cars being damaged in Oz. Makes the result even more satisfying, and I think bodes well for the future. Looking more and more like the C31 is a great little car!

Mazdaboy

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

amouzouris

got me to it mazdaboy... !!

Mazdaboy

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

madly
madly