Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Huntresa
Huntresa

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

amouzouris wrote:
Huntresa wrote:Did you guys see that they ran Ramp Exhaust and not Mclaren Bulge ?
yes i saw it on tv as well but haven't been able to find a decent photo yet

Was this just for Japan? I mean did they run Mclaren or Ramp in Singapore ? I guess its easy for them to switch since they have used both and have data on them both, but i thought the mclaren one was better since they switched eventho they were first with the ramp.

amouzouris

from i what i was able to make out in the few seconds that i saw it...it is different than the one they used earlier this season

Forza

Not exactly close ups but you can see the exhaust ramp

Huntresa
Huntresa

Strange to switch back to ramp, we got pics from singapore to see if they ran it there aswell ?

BOK
BOK

Singapore

Japan

Huntresa
Huntresa

Stranged that we missed this!

raymondu999

Perhaps the ramp solution actually is providing more downforce overall, but more drag?

(I say more drag because they've used the ramp in Singapore and Suzuka - two high downforce tracks, while Monza was still (to my eye) the exhaust bulge)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

raymondu999 wrote:Perhaps the ramp solution actually is providing more downforce overall, but more drag?

(I say more drag because they've used the ramp in Singapore and Suzuka - two high downforce tracks, while Monza was still (to my eye) the exhaust bulge)
Makes sense, with the bulge, there is a cleaner path around the sidepods to reduce drag. The ramp sort of creates a buffer to that smooth flow (which is what Red Bull has attempted - the jury seems to say successfully - to avoid with the general "tunnel" arrangement).

Huntresa
Huntresa

Why arent more teams doing the RB tunnel if they use the Ramp, i mean wouldnt sauber gain to use the tunnel?

AnthonyG

Huntresa wrote:Why arent more teams doing the RB tunnel if they use the Ramp, i mean wouldnt sauber gain to use the tunnel?
1.Wasn't that tunnel very tricky for Red Bull to setup? (cfr. first races)
2.Inner packaging doesn't make it worth the effort?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Huntresa
Huntresa

AnthonyG wrote:
Huntresa wrote:Why arent more teams doing the RB tunnel if they use the Ramp, i mean wouldnt sauber gain to use the tunnel?
1.Wasn't that tunnel very tricky for Red Bull to setup? (cfr. first races)
2.Inner packaging doesn't make it worth the effort?

Well i had the impression it wasnt hard to setup but that the first tunnel they used just didnt work and they reworked it and made it work. I mean for next year going ramp + tunnel could be a possibility, if its better ofc which we cant know but in my simple eyes leading air like this to the diffuser and starter hole is good, and if made perfect rly makes the backend clean in terms of where air is going etc.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

I believe each team have a total package. Obviously Red Bulls package is coming together nicely as of late. It appears the DDRS may have been the motivation for the tunnel/ramp. Sauber may not need to get more downforce as much as better balance.

raymondu999

Well to be fair - they used the coanda ramp for the races before Mugello, and since then, all cars have had to revert back to using an engine map they used in the first four races. Perhaps this ramp works better with the old mapping they used somehow.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

My analysis on Sauber's new exhaust:

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.co ... ution.html

amouzouris

I love this car! it has some of the most interesting aerodynamic solutions this year with a very interesting rear end!