Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

Beauty and efficiency in simplicity.
I like the way the cooling air exits via the rear of the bodywork and fills in the flow coming from around the engine cover and side pods and creates downwash toward the top of the diffuser centreline. Neat

aleks_ader

My couple words about Sauber exhoust solutions....

Sauber probaly realises that old ramp exhoust (from 2-3 race) still provide better car balance in flowing tracks like Suzuka...

Let see why they change back to old sep up? Maybe lack of optimanization and coanda exhoust still need some tweks to optimase the coanda + downwash efect? I assume that...

they had vertical rads so they sidepods are chunky and short but more "slick" ("teardrop" shape if you like) like Red Bull or Williams with pourpouse to provide enought undisturbet air in "coke bottle" area etc. So beacuse that reason (terdrop shape sidepods) they had bigger issues to provide constat and enought diffuzor sealing (uneven disturbet exhoust flow)... Redbull preety neat in that pourpouse to avoid that use a tunnel... Sauber try do that just with ramp...

But here is my point: Basicaly downwash (Mclaren, Ferrari) and ramp (Bulls) exhoust are totaly different aproaches how to optimase car aero perfomaces around that (flow conditioners, sidepod wings, front wings, diff, beamwing, coke bottle etc.) and teams need to choose right way... And that is the hardest to chose the right compromise... That is mastermint of engineering... Superb!

For Sauber will be interesting to see what will they do for Korea? Coanda or Ramp? :?: Hmm...
amouzouris wrote:I love this car! it has some of the most interesting aerodynamic solutions this year with a very interesting rear end!
And also i reall love this cas.. So simple and yet again so fast they offten beat Mclaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes for so small amount of money.... Priceless =D>
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

BOK
BOK

Forza

Korean GP - Thursday

Sevach
Sevach

aleksandergreat wrote: For Sauber will be interesting to see what will they do for Korea? Coanda or Ramp? :?: Hmm...
Ramp it is.

Huntresa
Huntresa

That front wing is just amazing, its the most intricit and beautiful on the grid.

wrcsti
wrcsti

Huntresa wrote:That front wing is just amazing, its the most intricit and beautiful on the grid.
yep, its more diffuser than wing

Forza

Indian GP- Wednesday & Thursday

aleks_ader

wrcsti wrote:
Huntresa wrote:That front wing is just amazing, its the most intricit and beautiful on the grid.
yep, its more diffuser than wing

Today- Thursday - India...

Great pic from @sommers blog
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Forza

India - Friday Free Practice

C31 Exhaust Hi-res version

stefan_
stefan_

Abu Dhabi

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Huntresa
Huntresa

stefan_ wrote:Abu Dhabi

New diffuser? I cant recall if ive seen the diffuser on the Sauber before but that top gurney looks new to me, maybe it isnt maybe someone knows abit more.

scarbs
scarbs

interesting that the slot gap tapers, I'm not sure if that's new?

BOK
BOK

India