2012 Testing - Jerez 7-10 February

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

Re: Jerez pre season testing 7-10 February

Let's see what we can say:
- Lotus has been running some consistently fast times and they are showing reliability
- Torro Rosso now seems to be putting up consistent fast times with reliability.
- Ferrari may be able to run a fast lap, but they have not shown any consistency, especially fast.
- Despite what they say, you have to think Mercedes would rather be running their real car. How much good can you get out of tire data on last year's car?

I agree with what someone else said about the high dollar teams being able to make big changes if necessary before the racing starts.

rbr25
rbr25

Senna who makes very steady for the first pre season, looks like a clock, 124 laps fantastic

CHT
CHT

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:Let's see what we can say:
- Lotus has been running some consistently fast times and they are showing reliability
- Torro Rosso now seems to be putting up consistent fast times with reliability.
- Ferrari may be able to run a fast lap, but they have not shown any consistency, especially fast.
- Despite what they say, you have to think Mercedes would rather be running their real car. How much good can you get out of tire data on last year's car?

I agree with what someone else said about the high dollar teams being able to make big changes if necessary before the racing starts.
thats the best excuse for not turning up with a new car. IIRC, Mclaren did it once 2 years back I think.

If a team cant get decent mileage during test, there is really not much data to collect, especially concerning tyre wear

Richard
Richard

Maynard

Sometimes teams do skip a test if they believe they'll greater benefit by focussing resources in the factory. It buys them an extra 2 weeks of analysis and manufacturing time. McLaren missed the first test 2 years ago, RB missed the first test the year before that. As I recall RB didn't turn up to the first test, while McLaren used the first test for relentless tyre testing of the old car on the new Pirelli tyres.

As for the relevance of the times, here's an extract from the BBC thread yesterday ...
So how much does a fastest time over one of these four days mean then? Well if we cast our minds back 12 months, the fastest man on day one of testing at Jerez was Felipe Massa. The next day it was Michael Schumacher, followed by Nick Heidfeld and Rubens Barrichello on days three and four. Universally underwhelming seasons followed with two of those drivers no longer in F1 and the other two out-performed by their team-mates during 2011. So keep that pinch of salt handy, eh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/16940933

H.Lyoud
H.Lyoud

I've been here all 4 days and there is my feeling list.
1.Red Bull (They still look the best, but i have a feeling Vettel will have to push harder than in 2011)
2.McLaren and Lotus (McLaren is where we expected, but very surprised by Lotus, so far they are as strong as they were in Australia, keep it up)
3.Ferrari (They need way more millage, many problems but the car looks promising)
4.Force India (Another season, another step forward, nice work)
5.Sauber and Williams (Seems not far behind FI but they lack some pace)
6.Toro Rosso (They look weak, and those unexperienced drivers, im afraid they gonna fail this season)
7.Caterham (Small step forward, but still not there)

Ofc there is still Month to next season but it looks like it will be tighter in front. Lets see if Lotus can keep on the Front pack.

Mr Alcatraz

Maynard G. Krebs
You can remember The Dobie Gillis Show! :shock: You may be even older than me! :lol:
Welcome aboard Daddy-O
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 10 Feb 2012, 18:58, edited 2 times in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Mr.S
Mr.S

Toro Rosso has been the most impressive car if you look the times & their history & budget.

But times mean NOTHING. Anything can happen. Maybe a pole lap will be 1-16's & all these consistent 1-23's will be horrible lap times. We know NOTHING of these.

Until the final race in Barcelona we will know nothing. Besides Jerez has no race week-ends.

Barcelona has a GP & had 2 Tests last year. SO there will be a HUGE amount of data to atleast compare & get an idea. A look at the Qualy times in Barca last year & the corresponding best times in the test might give you some idea

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mr.S wrote:Toro Rosso has been the most impressive car if you look the times & their history & budget.
Hmmm

Can anyone actually say that Torro Rosso are really independant of Red Bull?
On paper possibly to squeeze into the rules. But I think it nmore plausible that RB engineers have thought of something in the last 2 years, and instead of trying it on the RB they give it to STR....

Cant prove it of course, just my opinion there.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Giblet
Giblet

I think the cars have diverged too far to really have many parts they can go back and forth with with any real positive effect.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mekanikal_grip
mekanikal_grip

I think by just analysing the programmes over the past few days it seems RB, McLaren, Renault (Lotus) are fixed on whatever they've planned to do which is always a good sign. The top teams seem comfortable with their 8-12 lap runs, they're all looking consistent.

Ferrari, well it's clear they're having correlation issues again, i'm guessing we'll see some rakes on the red car soon!! Still way to early to write them, or anyone else off.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Giblet wrote:I think the cars have diverged too far to really have many parts they can go back and forth with with any real positive effect.

Possibly. However Red Bull Technology will have information on both teams.
If an idea with promise is dismissed at an early stage, what's the likelihood its not accidently binned into their sister teams inbox?

Paint me cynical, but its not as if Red Bull aren't renowned for pushing law, rules and interpretations to the limit.

mekanikal_grip wrote: Ferrari, well it's clear they're having correlation issues again, i'm guessing we'll see some rakes on the red car soon!! Still way to early to write them, or anyone else off.
+1
Saying they arent going to test outright speed, then pull out a 1:18.7 today tells me they were worried.
More could have been done.
David Purley

munudeges
munudeges

xpensive wrote:His involvement in, as well as reporting from, the USF1 team, should forever disqualify Windsor from racing media.
Ahhh, yes, this would be Windsor's recent comments on how the cars look merely just by looking at them? His credibility got finished with USF1 but he was rather economical with the truth as to what he actually did at Ferrari and Williams as I recall?

Apparently he could tell just by looking at the line Raikkonen was taking that he had lost about 50rpm. :D

munudeges
munudeges

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:If an idea with promise is dismissed at an early stage, what's the likelihood its not accidently binned into their sister teams inbox?

Paint me cynical, but its not as if Red Bull aren't renowned for pushing law, rules and interpretations to the limit.
Nice to see you've taken your cynicism shots JET. :D

Nope, there is no chance whatsoever that they are not getting any hand-me-downs from the company that Red Bull Racing and Torro Rosso both share, namely Red Bull Technology, and I'm sure the brilliant resurgence they had last season was all as a result of their own hard work and graft. Even Eddie Jordan put his tongue firmly in his cheek when he described them as a completely independent team after continually hinting otherwise.

Richard
Richard

munudeges wrote:there is no chance whatsoever that they are not getting any hand-me-downs

I'm sure the brilliant resurgence they had last season was all as a result of their own hard work and graft.
mun - you're contradicting yourself. That double negative in the first part of your sentence is opposite to the second part.

I guess it means you will be proven correct whatever the truth!

lebesset
lebesset

spent a happy hour sitting in the sun at the chicane in shirt sleeves this afternoon , easily the best conditions for the week so presumably the best times available

surprise of the week to me has been Lotus with kimi looking as though he has never been away [ despite the conditions in which he drove ]and grosjean looking very comfortable in the better conditions

am sure we all remember how well they started last year with their version of the EBD , even though they went backwards thereafter ; tried to think what they might have done to look so promising again and have a possible solution...the exhaust could again be a contributory factor !

whereas the other renault powered cars have a very similar engine note accelerating away from the chicane , the lotus has a subtly different consistent growl....maybe they have come up with something ; word here is that there is a member of the red bull team loitering opposite the lotus pit !!! still , early days yet in exhaust development

btw , ugly noses ? what ugly noses ? after 4 days they look quite normal to me !!!
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be