RicME Motorsport - RME-001

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: Formula Sketch - CAD Drawing Help

Are you just talking drivel?

The gold is not green in any way, it is the same colour as the official Emirates logo, I have also had the image open on two different monitors and guess what...gold.

You come across like a bit of a plank really, like your design is the dogs and everything else is just dog muck.
Red and gold don't compliment each other? In your opinion.

The attitudes from some sections of this game is making me question my participation.

Tozza Mazza

It's coming along slowly, but is looking GOOD.

See how using mathy curves can help, and designing the car as one piece, albeit made of parts, to from a whole, can benefit the design?

note: engine cover is a mock up not representative AT ALL of what it'll look like done, and there is much tweaking to do before I progress any further.

N12ck

My car was built as a whole design, but the detailing was rushed as I had 2 weeks to make it, so its not near the quality I can make cars to, but see how tozza's undercut flows from the splitter area smoothly and streamlined, that is one of the keys to a good car design, which is why the car needs to be designed on paper first then created on sketchup :D
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

Well yes, of course it was my opinion, that's why I said it. And proving my point, there are only 2 occurrences where Red and Gold have gone together. Gold Leaf and Lindt. Both of which very behind graphically, and in need of a modern update. White over red, just looks better than gold over read, much clearer.

I have asked many people I know, and nobody would pick gold on red over white on red, although 1 did like gold on red, but after seeing on an f1 car, then decided it didn't look good. They all came to a conclusion that Red/white/black was a better working colour scheme that red/white/gold.

RicME85

The fact of the matter is its MY team and MY car.

N12ck

RicME85 wrote:The fact of the matter is its MY team and MY car.
I kinda agree with you here, at the end of the day, people can give advice on what they think looks good, but its your car so it is your decision,
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

Found this, after I did the drawings.

http://sketch-tech.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... ricme.html

Monster_Energy_F1

jordangp wrote:Your gold looks green. Good effort, but red and gold, just don't compliment eachother :/
I have to agree with Andy yet Gold and Red do compliment eachother, however when you can have Red and Gold, or Red and White most people would choose the first one. The gold doesn't look Green :lol: , and although it is you're car, you should take other people's advice.

Also I still don't understand what you're trying to achieve with the Air Box, you've discovered the "Follow me" tool, so use it :roll:

Monster_Energy_F1

Finally, a decent airbox. Well done! =D>

jordangp

Yes, your skills are improving :) It is beginning to take shape now =D>

RicME85

Thanks, like I said at the beginning, it was all about getting a car on the grid firstly and then over the months learn how to actual use the program properly.

Any idea how to use Sketchup models with CFD software?
Ive downloaded CFDesign 2011 but the only way I can import is via a format that cannot be reproduced in 3D :(

RicME85

Still not happy with the cars performance, albeit its currently an improvement.
Development continues as you would expect.
Starting to debate the lower nose, am tempted to try something new for the next race. Have worked on a new solution along with improved rear section of the sidepods plus improved the exhaust area. Finally I have added a monkey seat.

Current state of the car:

RicME85

Development has been coming on leaps and bounds in the last few days, once again Ive got an updated look, this time reverting back to the previous nose until a more suitable design can be found, revised sidepods and a whole new engine cover and air intake.

jordangp

Looks as if your engine din is illegal, clearly out of the regulation boxes.

But apart from that; excellent job! =D>