Tales from the moderating garage

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
donskar

Re: Tales from the moderating garage

strad wrote:
ps - There are quite a few members who report posts and send PMs to mods asking us to be even stricter.
And Max Mosley likes to get spanked,,,Doesn't mean every one does. There will always be some who want more, but if you are paying attention they are in the very small minority.
The place is over moderated and I think the vast majority agree.[/quote]

Agree. That's why I no longer participate.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Huntresa

richard_leeds wrote:The principle of the car threads is that they focus on the features of the car, not the times of the car-driver-team combination.

To answer the your second post, the moved posts were not about features of the car, ie the physical things that are made in the factory.

So i can only focus on features of the car, not the actual overall car? gg or write " Oh wow mercedes DDRS makes them so much faster then mclarens flexi wing" Is that wrong? Cause thats pretty much what you moved being the first post and then we just answerd him...

Edit: and as you can see its not me only who thinks its overmoderated and moved to a place it doesnt even belong.

Edit2: Also by saying that you must speak about featurs of the car, that means we cant speak about the performance of the car cause that would fall in the car-driver combo, or am i wrong? I think car performance should be in car thread.

Richard

Strad & Donskar - It'd help to see some examples of where the line should be drawn. Remember we're talking about the car threads

I've already posted some links to posts that MX and I thought were off topic for W03. Here are some others to browse ....

From F2012 --> Canadian GP

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350625#p350625
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350626#p350626
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350629#p350629
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350630#p350630
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350631#p350631
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350633#p350633
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350659#p350659
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350635#p350635

From RB8 --> Canadian GP

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350717#p350717

Also have a read of my earlier posts explaining my thinking on the car threads. I'd appreciate your comments.

Richard

Huntresa wrote:[" Oh wow mercedes DDRS makes them so much faster then mclarens flexi wing"
That's prime material for the ying yang thread. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7520

Huntresa

richard_leeds wrote:Strad & Donskar - It'd help to see some examples of where the line should be drawn. Remember we're talking about the car threads

I've already posted some links to posts that MX and I thought were off topic for W03. Here are some others to browse ....

From F2012 --> Canadian GP

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350625#p350625
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350626#p350626
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350629#p350629
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350630#p350630
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350631#p350631
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350633#p350633
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350659#p350659
viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350635#p350635

From RB8 --> Canadian GP

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=350717#p350717

Also have a read of my earlier posts explaining my thinking on the car threads. I'd appreciate your comments.

The ones talking about changed exhausts etc i think should be in the car thread also the one with traction since he even writes the car has good traction not alonso or ferrari.

Huntresa

richard_leeds wrote:
Huntresa wrote:[" Oh wow mercedes DDRS makes them so much faster then mclarens flexi wing"
That's prime material for the ying yang thread. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7520

Eh ? it was an exaggerated example, it wasnt a fanboi post and the actual post you moved wasnt either. So i dont understand what you are getting at. What the post does it compare 2 features on the car, nothing more.

Edit: Faster not being faster over the lap but on the straights.

Paul

I can probably be classified among those favouring stricter moderating, but that is because I try to read most posts here and in my view the pure amount of new posts each day requires structuring to be of any use. I can't believe someone willing to learn about F2012 performance in first 6 races of this season will read 300+ pages (that after clean-up) of the corresponding thread.

Maybe there could be separate "Car Features" and "Car Performance" threads for each car, which would allow to correlate new features and their impact on performance by posting date without creating clutter, and would allow team threads to be purely about organization...

wesley123

richard_leeds wrote:I agree with you Wesley. Discussion of parts on cars should remain in the car thread, but that wasn't the case in the posts that have been moved.

Looking back at posts that have been moved from car threads to the race we have see 8 posts from F2012 that quote lap and sector times and a couple of comments such as "looking stable in corner x". There is one post from RB8 thread about Vettel and Hamilton's lap times.

Then there are the 5 posts from the W03 thread that Huntresa and you have mentioned. These start with a comparison of Merc and Mclaren sped traps ... "something strange.... DDRS didnt work? or.... super long straight lines but McLaren are faster. DDRS advantage disappeared".

That isn't a discussion of a part on the car, it is comparing speed trap data between two cars, so that's a race topic. Also one can't extrapolate headline times to a specific part on a car. For all we know the two cars in question could have had different tyres, different age of tyres, different fuel loads, or running experimental parts.

To be completely transparent about it, the posts from the W03 thread that were moved to the race thread are:

viewtopic.php?p=350709#p350709
viewtopic.php?p=350711#p350711
viewtopic.php?p=350715#p350715
viewtopic.php?p=350724#p350724
viewtopic.php?p=350729#p350729
Those post certainly do not fit the Canadian GP thread, if they had to be moved they would be to the DDRS thread, which there believe is one. It has no bussiness at all in the Canadian GP thread, it called the DDRS merc top speed deficit on this track yes, but the object discussed was the DDRS and its effectiviness, compared to what McLaren had achieved. It's discussion wasnt about the top speed in the canadian gp.
ps - There are quite a few members who report posts and send PMs to mods asking us to be even stricter.
So? I bet there are more who think otherwise.

That says absolutely nothing. That is like saying in a discussion about the most reliable car you come by and say 'well this one goes 300kph'.

It says nothing and rather shows that the whole moderating team looks through it with different glasses, you're not looking at it objective, no you are now taking a few PM's to use as an argument in that there are a few who would like to see more. Havent you noticed the constant bickering about this subject in the past year? I have yet to see a post where the poster states the mods should keep on moving more posts to their relevant topics.

Great that they want you to be strickter, I want that too, but on a whole different subject than the moving of posts. I want you to be stricter on handling the posts itself. I can call someone a --- without any problem, but if I post off topic a few times hell breaks loose. Dont you think that is wrong? The moderating team sees more importance in indexing post correctly than keeping their members in line. and indexing a post according to subject is something anyone could do.

The forum has become much less fun when they started moving the posts. You might think it is good that these are moved but it is not. In the topics there usually is only 2, max 3 different discussions going on. Guess what happens when you suddenly dump a shitload of post in between the current discussion just because it fits the subject more? You get an unreadable discussion and everyone is confused.

Let me show it;

The original topic.

Poster one;
'Bruce Lee is the best fighter ever'

Poster two;
'No he is not, he has lost multiple battles and a lot of times by his own mistakes'

These two posts dont fit the topic subject 100% so they get moved.

Then you get this topic;

Poster one;
'Bruce Lee is the best fighter ever'

Poster Other topic;
'Chuck Norris put in great action in Walker; Texas Ranger'

Poster two;
'No he is not, he has lost multiple battles and a lot of times by his own mistakes'

You see what happens? Suddenly the post by poster two has a whole different meaning, where it originally was directed to Poster one, it now seems to be directed to Poster Other topic. Then you get a whole different discussion and lots of confused people. Great isnt it? It also really aids the contact between people and discussions, it is good when people become in flame wars and completely kill discussions because of this.

Seriously, take off those glasses. Just because a few think you should be stricter doesnt mean you are doing a good job, like said where a few would like to see more psots moved, more, much more would like it to not happen.

Also, just out of curiosity, isnt it weird that when the moving of posts started happening suddenly the whole level of discussion dropped significantly? Or is that just me.

I dont know how many times I, and others have to say this before the moderating team finally starts seeing this.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Huntresa

Omg, you just moved engine talk from the hrt car thread, THAT ISNT A FEATURE OF THE CAR? sry im never gonna post on this forum again...
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 10 Jun 2012, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed foul language.

hollus

Comment removed, as it was a bit silly and rather off-topic.
Last edited by hollus on 12 Jun 2012, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Rivals, not enemies.

Huntresa

I just think the rules for the car thread should be less strict, if we are talking about something in the car thread like engines contracts or w/e in the HRT thread and ITS NOT derailing the thread why cant it stay?

Steven
Owner

Huntresa,

at the moment it is pretty clear that car threads should be about the car that is being discussed.

When you talk about engine contracts, that is something the team is dealing with, and influences future cars, not the current one. I believe your example would be one of the easiest posts to move to the team thread.

Would it help if we clearly add a note at the top of the car threads to clarify what the car threads are for?

Also, if you have a complaint to a specific moderator for some specific action, please contact the moderators group or the mod himself through PM, there's no need to keep on flooding this thread. I think by now your point about the car threads is pretty clear...

Huntresa

I dont care anymore cause im done with this forum, HF moderating the --- out of a gr8 forum!

strad

You should worry less about on topic off topic that usually sorts itself out. So what if the whole thing goes off topic if everyone goes with that flow?
You're like the guy goin 33 in a 35 when everyone else is doing 40. You're making work that doesn't need to be done and getting in the way. IF it was something really egregious I could understand, but you're like a retired guy with nothing else to do. Just filling your day screwing with us.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Scuderia Nuvolari

I almost feel like hecliff the seagull that did a couple of fly byes while getting shot at by a little man with a shotgun.
I have a red card over my profile, don't know what it is but I am open to comments.
Someone said that part of one of my posts was B.S. whatever that means and when I responded in a NICE way, I got edited and have this red card over my profile. the other poster still has this BS in his thread. These kind of things make me afraid to post here(perform another fly bye). I am just a person who would like to understand HOW these cars go so fast, after all formula 1 is the greatest of the greats and this forum is the best that I have seen to help explain this.