Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

Raptor22 wrote:schumacher going to Hockenheim to watch DTM this weekend. First time in 20 odd years.
I guess thats what he will be doing next year. I really hope he won't be driving a Mercedes
Whats technical about this?

He is Mercedes ambassador too, as I'm sure most are aware. Why not a Mercedes DTM car? They gave him a platform to shine in their young driver programme and also paid for his F1 seat on debut.

So why would BMW or Audi be a better propostion?
More could have been done.
David Purley

snoop1050
snoop1050

schumacher was never good in anything where he couldnt see the front wheels.

DTM would be even worse than his comeback f1 career

Raptor22
Raptor22

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:schumacher going to Hockenheim to watch DTM this weekend. First time in 20 odd years.
I guess thats what he will be doing next year. I really hope he won't be driving a Mercedes
Whats technical about this?

He is Mercedes ambassador too, as I'm sure most are aware. Why not a Mercedes DTM car? They gave him a platform to shine in their young driver programme and also paid for his F1 seat on debut.

So why would BMW or Audi be a better propostion?

I wasnot aware Mercedes owned him

JohnsonsEvilTwin

snoop1050 wrote:schumacher was never good in anything where he couldnt see the front wheels.

1990 Silverstone DQ

1990 Dijon 2 Less than 4s behind winner

1990 Nurburgring 2 Accident in practice

1990 Hermanos Rodriguez 1 Schumacher set fastest lap

1991 Suzuka DNF Fire

1991 Monza DNF Engine

1991 Silverstone 2

1991 Le Mans Mercedes C11 5 Schumacher set fastest lap

1991 Nurburgring DNF Engine

1991 Magny-Cours DNF Water leak

1991 Hermanos Rodriguez DNF Oil pump; Schumacher set fastest lap

1991 Autopolis 1

The numbers meanwhile, tell a very different story to what Schumacher can do when he cant see the front wheels....
David Purley

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:He is Mercedes ambassador too, as I'm sure most are aware.
As was he for Ferrari. Who would've guessed mid-09 that he could even think of leaving Ferrari?

I'm not saying he won't drive for Mercedes in DTM. I'm just saying loyalty counts for very little...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:He is Mercedes ambassador too, as I'm sure most are aware.
As was he for Ferrari. Who would've guessed mid-09 that he could even think of leaving Ferrari?

I'm not saying he won't drive for Mercedes in DTM. I'm just saying loyalty counts for very little...
Loyalty to Mercedes is a guarantee. Schumacher is grateful for Mercedes help in his career.
Enough to warrant him not being seen in any other German marque other than perhaps the a one off Porsche cup race.
And enough to come out of retirement to race for them.
Mercedes and Ferrari are it.
David Purley

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Loyalty to Mercedes is a guarantee. Schumacher is grateful for Mercedes help in his career.
And not grateful for 5 titles with Ferrari? There are no guarantees in life JET - thinking otherwise is just idiotic.
Enough to warrant him not being seen in any other German marque other than perhaps the a one off Porsche cup race.
When he leaves F1 (which he will at some point) if he drove for Mercedes AMG in his last F1 year, and goes straight into DTM the next year - I don't think you can even make a case for him going BMW/Audi. But I don't think anything is guaranteed after that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote: And not grateful for 5 titles with Ferrari? There are no guarantees in life JET - thinking otherwise is just idiotic.
Why turn this into a philosophical debate?

Schumacher is a Ferrari/Mercedes man. There are no other brands that can buy into this. Historically I have mentioned the Mercedes link. Of course there is also the Ferrari link.
Look at the context to which I posted.....

So if he goes to DTM it will be with Mercedes...is that hard to agree with?
David Purley

raymondu999

If he ends his F1 career at Mercedes, and goes straight to DTM - agreed. But if he's going to retire first - it's a tossup. We've seen that the possibility of any sort of comeback is a greater driver for Schumi than loyalty.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:If he ends his F1 career at Mercedes, and goes straight to DTM - agreed. But if he's going to retire first - it's a tossup. We've seen that the possibility of any sort of comeback is a greater driver for Schumi than loyalty.

I just don't agree with that.

The comeback was fuelled mostly in part to his debt to Mercedes. You think he enjoyed the last 2 years being an Also ran? Of course not.
If he came back on the basis of winning he would have quit by now.
He could easily have been shoe horned into a Ferrari during Massa's injury time, but it never materialised.

Had it remained Brawn and not Mercedes I dont belive Schumacher would have returned at all.
David Purley

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:The comeback was fuelled mostly in part to his debt to Mercedes.
After he was offering to take an active driving role for Ferrari, no less.
You think he enjoyed the last 2 years being an Also ran? Of course not.
Agreed. But he was joining the team that had just dominated Formula One and had started hell early on their then-next-year's car.
If he came back on the basis of winning he would have quit by now.
I think he came back on the basis of just wanting to drive. There are people who love their job as such, you know. And if you've gotten any deal of good success in your job - which Michael has - there is no way you don't take on a perverse pleasure by simply working. As he said to Jake Humphrey on his comeback - if he were to start winning again, "that would be the cream on the dessert."
He could easily have been shoe horned into a Ferrari during Massa's injury time, but it never materialised.
He wanted it. The doctors did not.
Had it remained Brawn and not Mercedes I dont belive Schumacher would have returned at all.
Pure speculation - you could be right, you could be wrong.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 24 Apr 2012, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

AosudiF1
AosudiF1

I agree with JET. I think the comeback was more to do with Mercedes, than anything else.
I also think it had to do with marketing (and Schumacher being bored) than anything else (e.g., performance, winning another title, etc.).

If there was a title chance, or winning a race chance, then it would be welcome.

I think the main thing is that the team needed a big name to enter F1 through the big gate. And it did. The problem is that then, it did not delivered. As a marketing stunt, it was great. And if the Brawn GP would have translated into a winning Merc, it would have been one of the greatest comeback ever (a la Sampras, with the US Open final against Agassi, a la Lauda, a la Prost).

So far, it has been more like Jordan's second comeback with the Wizzards, which is truly, truly a shame. I would love to see him fighting for P1, but it has not been the case. And Rosberg seems to be the future of the team.

raymondu999

Michael was willing to drive a car that had 0 victories and had at best looked like only like a podium finisher up to that point. To me that shows that he was in it for the driving - not for the winning
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

And so we go on to endless reams of debate eh, Ray?

As I said, Mercedes will be his destination in DTM. He returned in so much that only 2 marques have been attached to his time as a driver. Mercedes and ferrari.

His mooted comeback was with...Ferrari.
His actual comeback was with....Mercedes.
His ambasadorial role is with..Mercedes and formerly Ferrari.
His later 5 titles where with...Ferrari.
His early career was bankrolled by Mercedes.
His debut in F1 was bank rolled by Mercedes.

See the trend?

I dont see much point splitting further ball hairs over this.
David Purley

raymondu999

Let's agree to disagree
失败者找理由,成功者找方法