Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
VarioR

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

40 pages in 3 days..

not bad =D>
Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

msc-n01
msc-n01

I personally feel mercedes are playing a very clever game. Im sure they have something up their sleeves. u get that vibe from the way michael and the team are behaving, plus the times to me are showing positivity and as if there hiding some good pace, I HOPE SO, also the team is showing confidence compared to the last two years. maybe the true colours will show either on the final days of testing or melbourne. But still its to early to really predict where the guys are at the moment. we dont know how much fuel and tyres the guys are using.
I honestly hope the car is next level as for most of us, it will b a tear jerker to see MSC on the podium.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

msc-n01 wrote:I personally feel mercedes are playing a very clever game. Im sure they have something up their sleeves. u get that vibe from the way michael and the team are behaving, plus the times to me are showing positivity and as if there hiding some good pace, I HOPE SO, also the team is showing confidence compared to the last two years. maybe the true colours will show either on the final days of testing or melbourne. But still its to early to really predict where the guys are at the moment. we dont know how much fuel and tyres the guys are using.
I honestly hope the car is next level as for most of us, it will b a tear jerker to see MSC on the podium.

and remember, they've still got an Upgrade package to install pre-melbourne

VarioR

Exclusive Ross Brawn Q&A: We’ll do a better job this year 23 Feb 2012

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 13045.html
Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

diego1960

I can not read through the times and judge how good the car really is, and I bet noone really can but I am happy with the amount of laps they are running so far. It seems that the W03 is much more reliable than the "vanilla" car of the previous year and if we believe Ross Brawn, it is also a step forward relative to the competition. I do not expect miracles but I would be thrilled if they could claim 3rd place in the constructors at the end of the year and fight for podiums or at least 4th and 5th place mixing it with McLaren in some races. The only problem is that we do not were Ferrari stands now, we could reach Australia and suddenly find them 0,5s ahead which would obviously be a disaster.

PS: I can't understand why they would choose to run intermediates. Any thoughts?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

diego1960

I seriously doubt that there is a "finished" car to be seen. I don't think it would be wise to bring any updates even for the second Barcelona test. I mean they don't even know 100% their current packange and they haven't explored all the set-up possibilities so there might still be some performance gain from doing just that. In case they do bring updates, it could unsettle them and they would have to start long runs and qualifying simulations from the beginning losing precious time.

As for the Red Bull slot, we don't even know what it does, even experts can only speculate and the funny thing would be to waste resources exploring it only to find out at the end that it is meant for cooling indeed.

MGPAMG
MGPAMG

New on F1 Technical, but have been following the last thread which ended with 200+ pages and now this new one for the W03. I'll put it out there that I'm a huge Mercedes Benz fan and currently own a handful of AMGs and they are some of the best cars in the world. I'm a huge F1 fan and love going to the races every year. Excited for the Texas Inaugural Grand Prix 2012 this year and I hope to see Mercedes in the middle of the podium many times this year.

Read this little article online. Sure I'm way late, but thought it was interesting.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... r-concept/

skgoa
skgoa

At least two of the things they mention are explicitly ruled out in the regulations and the others seem far fetched.

yener

To be honest, i think AMG is going to surprise a lot of people this year.

The reason that the WO2 didnt perfom good last year has several reasons.
-One of those reason is that they created a car which was fast over 1 lap!
The other topteams build a car which did good on the long runs.
-SWB didnt work out because of the CoG and EBD.
-Last year they tested with an unfinished car.

This year they did improve on many several points.
-We know and can see that they have a complete car to test with.
-They are testing and building the car on racetrim (last year only 1 fast lap)
-No disadvantage of a SWB because of the EBD anymore
-Better Technical staff
-Advantage of the private Barcelona test
and signs of many more improvements.

And we all do not know yet what is under the bodywork. Lets see what happens at the first race ;)
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Pierce89

Re: Barcelona Pre-Season Test 2: 21-24 Fe

Mr.S wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Brawn has already said the W03 isn't a winner
Which does not matter. He says it is not ready to WIN YET & it is too early to judge if they can challenge RBR.That & W03 is not a winner are completely different things. After testing last year who thought last year's Mclaren will win 6 races??

Brawn would say the same even if he has the fastest car,if he says We are the team to beat after RBR like he said last year,then there is something to be worried about. W03's long run pace is Absolutely Fantastic.
IIRC, for 2010 and 2011 after months of big talk,Brawn admitted,somewhere close to the last test,that they didn't have a winning car. So, why did he start lying about it this year?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Mr.S
Mr.S

Re: Barcelona Pre-Season Test 2: 21-24 Fe

Pierce89 wrote:
Mr.S wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Brawn has already said the W03 isn't a winner
Which does not matter. He says it is not ready to WIN YET & it is too early to judge if they can challenge RBR.That & W03 is not a winner are completely different things. After testing last year who thought last year's Mclaren will win 6 races??

Brawn would say the same even if he has the fastest car,if he says We are the team to beat after RBR like he said last year,then there is something to be worried about. W03's long run pace is Absolutely Fantastic.
IIRC, for 2010 and 2011 after months of big talk,Brawn admitted,somewhere close to the last test,that they didn't have a winning car. So, why did he start lying about it this year?
NO. He never admitted it. He said last year that they might be challenging for the title. That Red Bull will be the dominant team & they would be leading that pack chasing Red Bull,or atleast they hope so. This sentiment was echoed my Michael. I think their targets (laptime wise) was pretty low & they had no idea that the EBD will make up for the DD.

Tall words last 2 seasons. Brawn evern aborted W01 development mid way to make W02 a Championshop contender. I think they have learned from last year & are making grounded statements

raymondu999

Re: Barcelona Pre-Season Test 2: 21-24 Feb

To be fair to Brawn, his comments were more "the W03 is not a winner, AT THIS STAGE." He doesn't say it will be a winner, he doesn't say it won't win. But with the pecking order at Barca 1 it wasn't a winner.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr.S
Mr.S

Re: Barcelona Pre-Season Test 2: 21-24 Feb

No he did not say that. He said the car is not ready to win yet & there is still work to done. A car not being a winner is flat out dismissing it.

The car took a huge step with Nic's race simulation. Brawn says Michael not happy with the balance of the car & they improved the setup on that feedback.Nico's time was blinding faster. MUCH MUCH FASTER than anything Red Bull or Mclaren had done. Most of it is because the track was faster in the morning.

Brawn says the car is very good & consistent in fast corners,Whitemarsh also says Mclaren is better in fast corners than Red Bull. Brawn says the only portion they are lacking from Red Bull is traction & tyre degradation(their front lefts are getting grained much quicker).

Mr.S
Mr.S

Brawn already know where we have to focus. "For us, the left front tire wears out faster, and the Red Bull has better traction."

The second race simulation of Nico Rosberg on Friday itself, while the lap times, which were compared with those of Webber but Brawn warns: "First, we had improved on the basis of experiences from the day before the setup Michael was not happy with the balance of the car Second.. Nico drove in the morning. Because it is cooler and faster than the track in the afternoon, when Michael and Mark were on their way. "

The positive finding in the camp of Mercedes, is that the new Silver Arrow has survived two race distance without technical problems. The transmission problem from the second day of testing is under control. "We can fully concentrate on finding speed. Last year it was different. As ever had any trouble spots will be deleted."

diego1960

I don't think the car is a winner, although I seriously hope I'm wrong. The Red-Bull is surely the car to beat, McLaren might have closed the gap to them and Ferrari seems to be written off by everyone but could surprise us all. In fact, I think that they are sandbagging a lot and due to that Merc might find themselves fighting for the same positions again. A step forward would be to fight for 4rth, 5th place in every Gran Prix and if things go well reach the podium. Everything above that might not be realistic though.