Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 Team 2012

At least FP2 seems to be much better, any data about the long rung pace??? these positions for Sunday would be great if it rains as it is expected.

marcush.
marcush.

For whatever reason they had a handle on those tyres for some time China and Monaco sure ..but it seems they either do not understand the parameters or simply cannot influence them with their current car layout and Coanda does even make it worse.
I think the team lacks flexibility in their decision process .They go to a track with a plan -and fully expect to be competitive -and when it does not pan out they are the ones who are very static and not inventive.

Look at RedBull with Vettel relegated to the back of the field...they just went for it and adapted the car overnight and definitely made the best out of a very depressing situation.
MGP at best goes for a hard tyre choice.. or tries to make their tyres live longer when it is obvious their car does eat them with grteatest appetite.
I think their approach is much too conservative especially considering they got a guy like Schumacher in their team .thank god that part is over soon .

amazingly now in Brazil they are back to a competitive package by the looks of things? sctor times in FP2 look very promising ..hopefully it is not a "friday low fuel wonder" we see here

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

No special "farewell" livery for Michael? .. :cry:
I had thought someone at MGP would care enough to make that happen at least for the last race if not for the remaining races after his announcement....

Hopefully he is driving HIS chassis this weekend so he can at least retire with her with a decent points finish -oe even a miracle ???

aral
aral

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

marcush. wrote:No special "farewell" livery for Michael? .. :cry:
I had thought someone at MGP would care enough to make that happen at least for the last race if not for the remaining races after his announcement....

Hopefully he is driving HIS chassis this weekend so he can at least retire with her with a decent points finish -oe even a miracle ???
Have a look at his helmet!

Nando
Nando

Well Newey is Newey. Nobody else has that kind of asset in their team so it´s no surprise he and his team managed to turn around what probably was a great car deep down.

It seems the Mercedes just is a dog through and through and they are kinda stuck with it.
Thus the impression it´s more of a tool for information rather then an F1 car designed to be competitive.

I also think that if you were to ask Brawn if he could explain why they won in China and why the took pole in Monaco he would not be able to give you an answer, (same with Williams i presume)

But overall, at least this year they have produced a car that on it´s best day can win races and can take poles.
This is something they can be proud of in that sense and if you look at the trajectory of success it´s going upwards season by season.

I fear 2013 might be a shitty year but it could also be slightly better then this year whether it´s the one-hit performance of this year or a more consistent third-place podium type of performance.

I´m excited to let´s just say that.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

marcush.
marcush.

I really don´t think Newey has anything do do with REDBULLS tyre understanding .

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

marcush. wrote:I really don´t think Newey has anything do do with REDBULLS tyre understanding .
But he has with Redbulls Aero understanding, both points lacking in a certain slow team.
marcush. wrote:No special "farewell" livery for Michael? .. :cry:

2013 evaluation first - Schumachers retirement secondary... (german)

munudeges
munudeges

I do wish people would stop pointing to Red Bull and talking about Newey as if he is some god. The reasons other teams are behind is because of poor organisation, lack of clarity, politics and a lack of creativity as a result. The people are out there to have a good shot at making life hard for Red Bull. Frankly, the only team I rate technically on any kind of level with Red Bull are Lotus.

Nando
Nando

marcush. wrote:I really don´t think Newey has anything do do with REDBULLS tyre understanding .
I think the tire situation is largely dependent on the aero situation.
Whether it´s overall downforce or understanding the Coanda exhaust.

Pure mechanical grip seems to be there with both Mercs being competitive in Monaco.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

marcush.
marcush.

Other teams work good as well ...
the real disappointment this year was MGP absolutely no doubt about it maybe Caterham is the second one who also did not live up to what was announced.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

marcush. wrote: the real disappointment this year was MGP absolutely no doubt about it maybe Caterham is the second one who also did not live up to what was announced.
Also Ferrari, which has been s--t since post summer break 2010.

Cocles

marcush. wrote:Other teams work good as well ...
the real disappointment this year was MGP absolutely no doubt about it maybe Caterham is the second one who also did not live up to what was announced.
The only way you could say that is by ignoring the first part of the season. Or, to be beautifully crass, at least Mercedes had it up for part of the year.

If we're only counting since the return of summer break, then yeah, Mercedes makes you want to cry.

ringo

Imido_30 wrote:
Nando wrote:Are you serious or are you just playing with me?

Better question is where were you when china gp was on.
I was watching the qualifying and saw that Rosberg wiped the floor with Hamilton. Proves that Hamilton is a human being not an F1 freak coming from Mars. Mercedes had the strongest line up in F1 IMO. What was missing is a car.
You're kidding right? :P
I can tell you this, Rosberg is much faster than shumacher, check the qualifying data. Check how many times Rosberg went into Q3 compared to shumi. Shumacher fades even more in the races. The man is not fast anymore, people just need to accept that. And this is from a neutral perspective. I am no big fan of either driver. But when you see that may 3 times out of ten Shumacher can have a better weekend, then it really does put both drivers in a bad light.
Rosberg is food for Hamilton. And that's a fair statement.
2012 really showed Hamilton as the fastest in F1. In fact looking back on the redbull dominant years and seeing who's always "splitting the bulls" is some evidence. Maybe the same evidence why Mercedes is willing to invest in such a driver.

There's a pretty high chance Rosberg may be utterly destroyed if Hamilton simply drives like how he's driving now in 2012.
For Sure!!

ringo

marcush. wrote:they don´t understand coanda,end of story .
They unfathomably did not realise they had not gotten to grips with it for an awful lot of races only to remove it for this race...so why waste all those races...incredible.
Then what did they do on the young driver test? it´s on the verge of bizarre they did not realise it was not helping them..
I m sure they need a whole new approach to their methods and approach if they want to suceed..neither lauda nor Hamilton are likely to help with this...Brawn at least has realised things are a lot more interrelated than their work allows for and that is one reason why they struggle so much (we want to understand the tyres first before developing the car further..)this is not working these days.
Yes you are talking sense here.
The structure needs to change, not just work flow, more specifically the methodology. The simply dont know what to do with the data they are collecting. They don't know how to process it into improvements.
For Sure!!

lillschumi
lillschumi

It´s funny they ran a test rig at the last p1 of the season with their old exhaust. Like "well maybe we should see whats really going on here". It is truly bizarre.