Scuderia Ferrari 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
remix
remix

Re: Ferrari F2012

Hi Hail

I saw the pic from the trucks yesterday on twitter.

Spanish media would know that the parts are this ones from singapur which didnt worked in the car because the corelation in wt.
Its also fw, underfloor(chassis) re and new diffusor,

No ddrs

Kiril Varbanov

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2012

Ferrari hire Loic Bigois as Head of Aerodynamics - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bigois-loic/10/482/17a

Joie de vivre

nice. he didn't do well at mercedes

amouzouris

Joie de vivre wrote:nice. he didn't do well at mercedes
neither did Newey in the 2000s with McLaren and Red Bull...
so this doesn't really say what the guy can do

alogoc
alogoc

According to La Gazzetta, ex-McLaren aerodynamics David Sanchez helped Ferrari with their latest udgrades.
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Forza Ferrari
Forza Ferrari

So, if i recapitulate all the new faces at Ferrari this season are : Hamashima, Clark, Agathengelou, Bigois, sanchez... :shock:

Correct me if i'm wrong :?

Do you guys think it's positive or not so to bring in so many new engineers in such a short time?

The Moderator

shelly
shelly

Forza Ferrari wrote:So, if i recapitulate all the new faces at Ferrari this season are : Hamashima, Clark, Agathengelou, Bigois, sanchez... :shock:

Correct me if i'm wrong :?

Do you guys think it's positive or not so to bring in so many new engineers in such a short time?
I think those for sure and more, strating from Jhon Heal (iirc), chief structural engineer from mclaren, plus the ex-mclaren vehicle dynamics chief (Tortora iirc) plus many others who are more junior and whose names have not made it to the press.
twitter: @armchair_aero

bhall
bhall

I think Hamashima has probably been worth his weight in gold. During the winter tests, the F2012 went through rubber like the cheapest trick at a bargain brothel. Yet, Ferrari still managed to find a working balance between longevity and performance before anyone else. That, I believe, was all Hirohide Hamashima, and it was likely the biggest technical contribution to Ferrari's mid-season form.

The other new hires haven't really been around long enough to do any good, or, in Bigois' case, any harm*. Besides, there's no level of engineering talent in the word that can overcome faulty design tools. Even Midas himself, Adrian Newey, would be thwarted by a bad wind tunnel.

* Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure about Bigois.

donskar
donskar

Well, all those new faces and a maximum effort were not enough -- at least not this year. Eighth qualifier in USGP
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WillN

Ferrari this year have lacked initiative and creativity. From the start the 'aggressive' design was failing. The only initiative used this year was the Velica upgrade and the Coana exhaust. From there they have been playing around with the front and rear wing to no avail. Yes, the car has improved slightly in areas, yet no imaginative or initiative designs have been brought to the car. They say windtunnel issues are because of this, but why would the new front wings and rear wings keep coming to recent races from the Toyota windtunnel in Cologne; each providing a car 'the same as it was last race'. They used straight-line tests, for what, nothing positive seemed to come out of it. Alonso says Ferrari have the best team, while yesterday in FP3 they scrubbed tires, so they could warm up to optimal temperature faster, why not go out earlier and do one more lap? They also seemed to love the idea of towing in Monza and India, which proved pointless, a nice try but not good enough. The team needs a shake-up if it wants to compete next year, as this year the title hopes seem doomed. I get the impression when seeing Pat Fry that he lacks passion and he doesn't seem to have the command of other team principles. Bring on 2013 and lets pray Vettel can falter this year.

diffuser

WillN wrote:Ferrari this year have lacked initiative and creativity. From the start the 'aggressive' design was failing. The only initiative used this year was the Velica upgrade and the Coana exhaust. From there they have been playing around with the front and rear wing to no avail. Yes, the car has improved slightly in areas, yet no imaginative or initiative designs have been brought to the car. They say windtunnel issues are because of this, but why would the new front wings and rear wings keep coming to recent races from the Toyota windtunnel in Cologne; each providing a car 'the same as it was last race'. They used straight-line tests, for what, nothing positive seemed to come out of it. Alonso says Ferrari have the best team, while yesterday in FP3 they scrubbed tires, so they could warm up to optimal temperature faster, why not go out earlier and do one more lap? They also seemed to love the idea of towing in Monza and India, which proved pointless, a nice try but not good enough. The team needs a shake-up if it wants to compete next year, as this year the title hopes seem doomed. I get the impression when seeing Pat Fry that he lacks passion and he doesn't seem to have the command of other team principles. Bring on 2013 and lets pray Vettel can falter this year.
I think you need to give him more than 1 year at the helm before you "Fry" him.

banibhusan

WillN wrote:Ferrari this year have lacked initiative and creativity.
You can only push as much as your tools allow you to. They are still struggling to get their WT working properly. We still have no idea how their CFD facility is. With all these limitations they have come so far. I would say they have done a great job this season.

They have truly been the "People's champion" this season.

Spankyham

WillN wrote:Ferrari this year have lacked initiative and creativity....
With 2 races to go, the F2012 is one of only 2 cars left that can win both the WDC and WCC. That is better than where the "F150th Italia" was at the corresponding race last year. So, what I see is a team that has improved on last year and is still fighting to be champion.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

WillN wrote:Yes, the car has improved slightly in areas, yet no imaginative or initiative designs have been brought to the car.
First of all, you and I as outside observers have no knowledge of whether or not this is the case. You say this because the pieces they've bolted onto the car aren't crazy looking? Ridiculous. We don't know what they've done with their powertrain, details of suspension topology and tune, race craft, etc.

Furthermore, you don't need wildly new / fanciful piece part designs to be successful. You need good, successful engineering work. Sometimes that's methodical and subtle. They already have a team which has been a title contender all season. To throw caution to the wind and go bananas on some "out there" deviations on design is foolish IMO.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.