Scuderia Ferrari 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Goran2812
Goran2812

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2012

will heads roll in maranello after the brasilian gp? they should...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

diffuser

Re: Ferrari F2012

Jersey Tom wrote:
WillN wrote:Yes, the car has improved slightly in areas, yet no imaginative or initiative designs have been brought to the car.
First of all, you and I as outside observers have no knowledge of whether or not this is the case. You say this because the pieces they've bolted onto the car aren't crazy looking? Ridiculous. We don't know what they've done with their powertrain, details of suspension topology and tune, race craft, etc.

Furthermore, you don't need wildly new / fanciful piece part designs to be successful. You need good, successful engineering work. Sometimes that's methodical and subtle. They already have a team which has been a title contender all season. To throw caution to the wind and go bananas on some "out there" deviations on design is foolish IMO.

I agree with you but ..... they needed something to improve their qualifying and didn't even try. Now tomorrow they're lining up next to Mr. Lap one Accident himself Grosjean.

Praying for alternator problems with Vettl. Not sure how they can make up 1.5 seconds a lap from quali. The Ferrari just seems to be getting further and further behind.

I can't understand how Alonso is now slower than Massa either. Alsonso usually always goes with a little more downforce setup. I'm at a lose to explain anything or understand. I'veread through all the after quali interviews... Ferrari aren't offering up any either.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

diffuser wrote:

I agree with you but ..... they needed something to improve their qualifying and didn't even try.
How do you know they didn't try? That's a ridiculous assertion especially considering they've introduced different parts that we can see. Not to mention things we can't.

godlameroso

I think that in certain instances Alonso flatters the car, but in other instances it's the other way around. Let's be real here, the Ferrari is fast period, end of story, it's probably the second fastest car on the grid. It's weakness is in DRS activation, probably part of the reason that rules for next season are being tweaked, FIA and all. The Ferrari is very knife edged car and DRS upsets the balance of the car so it's not as easy for it to open DRS whereas other cars have more stability under DRS operation, this is evidenced by the Mercedes outqualifying both Ferraris.
Saishū kōnā

Lurk

Or maybe Schumacher just did a wonderful lap. What was the last time a MGP was only 2 tenth slower than both Lotus?

bhall
bhall

WillN wrote:[...]
I get the impression when seeing Pat Fry that he lacks passion and he doesn't seem to have the command of other team principles.
[...]
I give Pat Fry a ton of credit this year. I think it's no coincidence that Ferrari's pit work blossomed while McLaren's was --- earlier this year. The same is true of Ferrari's overall race strategy, one that's maximized the hell out of nearly every available scoring opportunity. That's exactly why he was brought to the team.

If and when Stefano Domenicali steps down as team principal, I'd have no problem at all with Fry taking his place.
diffuser wrote:[...]

I can't understand how Alonso is now slower than Massa either. Alsonso usually always goes with a little more downforce setup. I'm at a lose to explain anything or understand. I'veread through all the after quali interviews... Ferrari aren't offering up any either.
Massa is a much better driver than his record over the last couple of years indicates. He just needs a stable car. Even though the F2012 hasn't been superlative over the last couple of months, it's been consistent, and that's given Massa the opportunity to adapt.

(I've been paying attention to the gap between Alonso and Massa, because I think it gives some insight into the quality of the car. If the gap is relatively wide, I tend to think it's probably because the car improved. Conversely, if it's narrow, I think it probably indicates stagnation.)

I also think CotA is a track that suits Massa, because it has similar characteristics to Istanbul Park and Interlagos, and we all know how much he thrives on those circuits. So, I wouldn't read too much into it.

donskar
donskar

Pat Fry is thoroughly competent (IMHO). But Newey is a genius.

Red Bull is a good team led by a genius; Ferrari is a good team led by a competent man.

Need we go on?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

bhall
bhall

Job titles aside, I think Adrian Newey's role at Red Bull is bit more analogous to Nicholas Tombazis' role as Chief Designer than it is to Pat Fry's role as "Chassis Director," whatever that is. Moreover, unless we're talking about John Barnard, Colin Chapman, or Rory Byrne, who in F1 has ever compared favorably to Adrian Newey? That said, I think even Adrian Newey would struggle with Ferrari's shitty wind tunnel.

Let's put it another way. Red Bull Racing is "supplied" by Red Bull Technology, a company that sits outside the purview of the FIA (and the RRA) and employs Adrian Newey (and Giorgio Ascanelli) to "supply" solutions to Red Bull Racing. Scuderia Ferrari, on the other hand, is supplied by Scuderia Ferrari, a company whose biggest strengths have been systematically diminished through an engine freeze and a testing ban. Yet, despite those inequities, Ferrari's lead driver is only 13 points behind the lead for the World Championship with one race left.

I don't know about you, but I think asking for more is a bit greedy.

Hail22

bhallg2k wrote:Job titles aside, I think Adrian Newey's role at Red Bull is bit more analogous to Nicholas Tombazis' role as Chief Designer than it is to Pat Fry's role as "Chassis Director," whatever that is. Moreover, unless we're talking about John Barnard, Colin Chapman, or Rory Byrne, who in F1 has ever compared favorably to Adrian Newey? That said, I think even Adrian Newey would struggle with Ferrari's shitty wind tunnel.

Let's put it another way. Red Bull Racing is "supplied" by Red Bull Technology, a company that sits outside the purview of the FIA (and the RRA) and employs Adrian Newey (and Giorgio Ascanelli) to "supply" solutions to Red Bull Racing. Scuderia Ferrari, on the other hand, is supplied by Scuderia Ferrari, a company whose biggest strengths have been systematically diminished through an engine freeze and a testing ban. Yet, despite those inequities, Ferrari's lead driver is only 13 points behind the lead for the World Championship with one race left.

I don't know about you, but I think asking for more is a bit greedy.
Indeed, well said Moonwalker (Reference to your avatar).

Wish I could +1 :(
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Nando
Nando

I´m truly excited to see what Ferrari can come up with to challenge the Garagerista´s next year :)

Hopefully we don´t see that crazy exhaust housing next year though.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Garageristas? Which crazy exhaust? You mean the McLaren/Lotus/Mercedes/Ferrari style love handles?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

raymondu999 wrote:Garageristas? Which crazy exhaust? You mean the McLaren/Lotus/Mercedes/Ferrari style love handles?
Yea Garageristas, everyone except Ferrari lol. and yes it was a joke. You need to work on that bit, thought it was self-explanatory with the smiley and everything.

Which crazy exhaust? Surely you are joking?

Writing "Hopefully we don´t see that crazy exhaust housing next year though." in a Ferrari thread should again be quite self-explanatory :)

If you had to take a wild guess on a crazy exhaust from Ferrari in 2012, what would you guess on? I´m sure this one isn´t that hard.

raymondu999

I've never seen the term Garageristas used anywhere before - hence my confusion.

Crazy exhausts... the flying squirrel?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

raymondu999 wrote:I've never seen the term Garageristas used anywhere before - hence my confusion.

Crazy exhausts... the flying squirrel?
It´s a term that was used by the old man Enzo Ferrari when he described teams like Lotus.

I guess you can call them that, horrendous exhaust.... and 65 different versions of it as well.
(i do understand why they tested so many things but please...not again...for the sake of Alonso)

raymondu999

Why would they? Exhaust regs are pretty much staying the same.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法