Vodafone McLaren Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

sunny1304 wrote:what the crew did ?? problem was with the wheelnut...
Yeah, jsut like it was last race, the first race and multiple times in the years before. Actually they seem to screw up at least 1 pit stop every 2 races. Once a year okay, but this is just too often, way too often. Cant wait to see McLaren lose out on a championship due to their great pit crew
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

QLDriver
QLDriver

If the stud threads are damaged, then putting new nuts on won't fix it. I suppose it would make sense to make hard studs and slightly softer nuts so that the nuts would be 'sacrificial' and the nuts themselves could be replaced.

Perhaps going for a coarse thread would work better.

boyracer94
boyracer94

Does anybody know if they have the integrated wheel nuts. If not, do we think we could see this system as a development at some point? Their stops recently have been dreadful.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

boyracer94 wrote:Does anybody know if they have the integrated wheel nuts. If not, do we think we could see this system as a development at some point? Their stops recently have been dreadful.
They don't and I think wheel may be homologated for the season now. Maybe.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Vasco

It pretty obvious now that the race pace of this car is quite far off from RBR and Lotus. The Renault powered cars seem to be enjoying a fuel advantage at the start.

Qualifying pace is still their strong point.

Pierce89

The car didn't even seem that much better than the pit crew today. Hamilton spent the last stint on Alonso's gearbox and never made any impression.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

myurr
myurr

Pierce89 wrote:The car didn't even seem that much better than the pit crew today. Hamilton spent the last stint on Alonso's gearbox and never made any impression.
I think the pace is okay but the car is particularly sensitive to other airflow around it. So when running in dirty air or in gusty conditions (like much of this weekend) the pace doesn't seem that good.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Vasco wrote:It pretty obvious now that the race pace of this car is quite far off from RBR and Lotus. The Renault powered cars seem to be enjoying a fuel advantage at the start.

You got me a bit confused. Qualifying pace of Renault or of McLaren? Mercedes engine has outqualified Renault in every race except the last one. This time RB did well, but Lotus was 7 and 11th.

myurr
myurr

Jef Patat wrote:
Vasco wrote:It pretty obvious now that the race pace of this car is quite far off from RBR and Lotus. The Renault powered cars seem to be enjoying a fuel advantage at the start.

You got me a bit confused. Qualifying pace of Renault or of McLaren? Mercedes engine has outqualified Renault in every race except the last one. This time RB did well, but Lotus was 7 and 11th.
I think the pace both in qualifying and the race comes down to tyre usage and temperature, probably even more so that aerodynamics this year. Sure you need a balanced car with decent aero, but we've seen the relative pace shift so much from race to race despite the aero performance remaining fairly static.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

boyracer94 wrote:Does anybody know if they have the integrated wheel nuts. If not, do we think we could see this system as a development at some point? Their stops recently have been dreadful.
They have them in development but don't currently use them. Whitmarsh said they're not necessarily better than what they currently use & pointed to Mercedes(SCHU) mistake last week. I suspect we'll see them soon though.

ringo

The car doesn't have spectacular race pace. It's quite sluggish in the heat.
Doen't have the surge like the redbull or the Lotus.

Mclaren need to be careful they don't lose touch. They're gonna be in trouble once ferrari get the suaber exhuasts.

I feel the fact that the nose isn't high is still a performance hindrance. When all things are equalized on the rest of the cars in due time, the nose will be a performance differentiator.
Last edited by Richard on 22 Apr 2012, 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed reply to deleted off topic comment
For Sure!!

QLDriver
QLDriver

Ferrari seem to have the wheel nuts right.

Nico
Nico

Mclaren setup/balance maybe too much biasd towards single lap pace? as RB becomes more comfortable with the new exhaust regs I think thye will be stronger in quali and still maintain race pace. Mclaren needs to really focus on maintaining care balance over the whole race, no use setting the car to operate in a small optimal band.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

McLaren with Merc power is too heavy in the early part of the race to challenge and too hard on it's tyres at the late stage.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ringo

QLDriver wrote:Ferrari seem to have the wheel nuts right.
Yes this is the thing that sticks out the most. Too much time lost in the pits.
They need to have the wheel nuts built into the wheels.
It's something they should give dull priority for the upcoming races.
They simply cannot afford to be losing so many places on track.

As for tyre degradation, theirs is a bit too average.

And finally exhausts, I wonder if a suaber style exhaust is an improvement on what they currently have?
For Sure!!