Red Bull Racing 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

myurr wrote:
bonjon1979 wrote:I think Red Bull are in a spot of bother. The RB8 isn't fast enough to get the pole in front of Mclaren or Mercedes and their car doesn't have the straight line speed to be able to overtake, even in DRS zones. It means that they're kind of screwed as they're not able to lead from the front and just pull away. Last year they were so much faster due to their superior downforce it didn't matter they were slower in a straight line. It's a different story this year.
This I agree with. The warning signs were actually there last year for them with Webber. He was unable to extract as much from the car in qualifying last year for reasons widely written about, and then wasn't always able to make much progress throughout the races despite having a downforce advantage. This year they don't even have that advantage.

In Vettel's hands at least the car is still kind to its tyres and this is helping them to get okay results by choosing good strategies, but they've also been plenty lucky with the results they have had this year in terms of other cars in front of them tripping up or making poor strategic decisions.

I'm going to make a bold prediction that may come back and bite me, but I'm going to say that they're not going to stage a come back this year. I think they're still having to divert too much resource into figuring out an exhaust solution that's only going to give them a couple of tenths in lap time and that they have got the fundamental philosophy of the car wrong through their belief it would run at the front. McLaren have more downforce but are faster in a straight line, and some of the other cars are so much faster in a straight line they can afford to compromise their setup and crank on more downforce to get them at least near Red Bull. As all the teams get better at managing the tyres I think Red Bull may even lose some of that advantage that they currently have with Vettel's side of the garage.

So they're going to face a huge question. Do they concentrate a lot of effort on sorting this car and evolving it for next year; do they throw all their resources into next years car in order to address some of these fundamental issues but then suffer in 2014; or do they effectively concede that they're not going to have an easy time of it this year or next and throw their resources at the 2014 car?

I personally think that Ferrari and McLaren have learnt from 2009 that they will have to compromise their development rate next year in order to spend enough time and effort on the 2014 car. McLaren have the enviable situation of having a solid base for their developments for the next two years, so they can throw everything at just evolving the car and save the complete rebuild for 2014. I think we're going to see Ferrari throw everything at this years car to try and get it sorted enough that next year they too can evolve the car. I believe we'll see them take some huge risks with the car, even sacrificing pace for a few races whilst they experiment if it means they have a solid car by the end of the year.

Red Bull are stuck in a middle ground between the two. They're close enough to the front of the pack that they need to bring a constant stream of updates to the car to keep them in the title hunt, but they're far enough away with fundamental traits of the car to sort out that they're going to need to throw a lot of resources at the car both this year and next in order to fight for the championships.
I think you're right. They can't add anything like an EBD that'll give them a whole chunk of time. They might get the double DRS sorted quicker than others which could give them 3 tenths in qualifying but beyond that, i'm not sure what they can do.

raymondu999

I think if they throw it all onto the 2013 car now; then they'd start 2013 with probably an advantage; then they could throw things to 2014 early anyways. I think something really set the RB8 back late last year. Newey was probably already well into the RB8 development around Spa last year.

I think as we saw in 2009; the base car is fundamentally good - I don't think it needs a complete rethink. Again as I said before - this all reminds me of 1994 when the Williams lost their active suspension. Newey brought a very upgraded package somewhere along the middle third of the season (I think?) and the title still went down to the wire.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

WhiteBlue wrote: In addition they must be working on a DDRS system like everybody else
Why? The Mercedes pace in the early stages of the race, with no DRS usage, was no different than during Qualifying when they had unlimited DRS usage. The Blown Front Wing simply makes no difference.

Brian

marcush.
marcush.

sure Newey had all the time in the world to do his 2012 car ...as RB7 was such a great car.

RB8 they got it wrong or maybe the car simply has no advantage this year and the driver quality is a sit is.Mind you ,Newey admitted already last year that probably their strength is less on the side of tyre understanding than it is in having small advantage in car layout and aero.
RB 8 is the last step in a line of cars they now need a new concept to jump to the fore.Question is how many brilliant ideas are still in Neweys head that could make the difference.

raymondu999

I still think they hit a massive roadblock late last year. Newey was very confident last year, saying the rb8 will amaze the paddock.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

raymondu999 wrote:I think if they throw it all onto the 2013 car now
It seems to me that they should figure out what is going on with this years car before moving on. They need to work through this problem and then use that understanding on the next car. Possibly improve their management system to better handle development issues like this.

If Mercedes can find the solution, then so can RB.

Brian

WhiteBlue

Re: Red Bull Racing 2012

This comment was deleted in the RB8 thread because it deals with the drivers.

The performance advantage that Mark Webber had all season in qualifying until the Bahrain race was turned on it's head by the use of the newest exhaust system with blocked tunnels by Seb. To read everything on the exhaust situation go to the RB8 thread.

The technical analysis - mainly provided on Scarbs blog by the way - has lead me to make a prediction:

With a predictable downforce Seb is back at dominating Webber. Now that Newey has found the stability and a bit of performance Seb will be back to his old self. I predict the Vettel superiority over Webber to continue for the rest of the season. It may not be as distinct as last year but it will be there most of the time IMHO.

I look forward to how it will pan out in terms of qualifying victories and points earned.
Last edited by Richard on 23 Apr 2012, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed betting odds
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

Betting odds are an quirky reflection of human perception, they don't influence cars whizzing around a track.

See the appropriate thread

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11559&view=unread#unread

rayden
rayden

WhiteBlue wrote:This comment was deleted in the RB8 thread because it deals with the drivers.

The performance advantage that Mark Webber had all season in qualifying until the Bahrain race was turned on it's head by the use of the newest exhaust system with blocked tunnels by Seb. To read everything on the exhaust situation go to the RB8 thread.

The technical analysis - mainly provided on Scarbs blog by the way - has lead me to make a prediction:

With a predictable downforce Seb is back at dominating Webber. Now that Newey has found the stability and a bit of performance Seb will be back to his old self. I predict the Vettel superiority over Webber to continue for the rest of the season. It may not be as distinct as last year but it will be there most of the time IMHO.

I look forward to how it will pan out in terms of qualifying victories and points earned.
What are you predicting now WB? Mark seems to still have a raw pace advantage in the RB8.
can't really judge race pace from this one though. The start really helped seb there.

raymondu999

Monaco's not really the place to judge pace to be honest. I know we say "oh it's where a driver can make a difference" and all such but to be honest - things can change massively depending on how confident a driver is in their setup and car, etc. I think Seb went with the same setup as Webber, but added a bit more front wing to improve his turn-in, which ended up being a bit too much. His rear was extremely skittish under braking in quali - or so he and Mark said. However I'm not sure why he couldn't have done the usual trick of pitting to get a few turns knocked out of the front wing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

nacho
nacho

They are leading the WCC and are the only team with 2 wins. Both drivers are 3 points away from WDC lead. It' dissappointing compared to last year but far from a disaster.

JMN
JMN

Any ideas if the livery for https://www.facesforcharity.com/en/home.html will be heavier than the regular paint job?

techF1LES

JMN wrote:Any ideas if the livery for https://www.facesforcharity.com/en/home.html will be heavier than the regular paint job?
It will be heavier, but I'm sure they will balance it with the right amount of ballast, so car will not exceed 640 kg.

aral
aral

techF1LES wrote:
JMN wrote:Any ideas if the livery for https://www.facesforcharity.com/en/home.html will be heavier than the regular paint job?
It will be heavier, but I'm sure they will balance it with the right amount of ballast, so car will not exceed 640 kg.
I understand that Red Bull use a vinyl wrap on their car, so it would just be a case of remove one wrap and replace it with another.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

rayden wrote:
What are you predicting now WB? Mark seems to still have a raw pace advantage in the RB8.
can't really judge race pace from this one though. The start really helped seb there.
I'm wondering this myself. I thought when WhiteBlue posted that Seb would be getting back to "dominating" Mark that he was wrong, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think 2011 was just an off year for Mark and I don't think it's really possible for Sebastian to dominate Mark again like he did in 2011.

I think Seb is the better driver even though I like Mark quite a bit, but I think they'll be back & forth for the rest of the season. Will be mighty interesting to see who comes out on top in the WDC.