Lotus F1 Team 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
erikejw
erikejw

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Donuts wrote:
munudeges wrote:
Donuts wrote:Boy have they lost ground, but it's not the cars fault, it's 100% the drivers.
Your avatar is telling us all where this nonsense is coming from.

It's pretty obvious where the shortcomings of that Lotus car have been, even when it has, on occasions, looked fast. It's also crystal clear that the car has dropped back relative to other teams in the past few races.
It's obvious you say? Have you even watched Kimi Raikkonen in qualifying? He's not putting the E20 where it belongs. I like Kimi Raikkonen as much as Robert Kubica, but I'm never going to say that any of them are better than the car if they are'nt. I'm sorry I don't think Kimi Raikkonen has performed in qualifying this season.

Crystal clear? Is that why Romain Grosjean qualified in 5th place and Kimi Raikkonen looked to be on his best qualifying position all season before he spun (James Allison: a potential third)? You had two high speed circuits were the team knew they where not going to be competitive (especially Monza is a tricky one since it's a one off with totallt different high-speed package) and then you had one circuit were they expected to be competitive but beacuse of the rain disturbed practices they did'nt get the setup right and did'nt risk running their new upgrades (which in fact worked since they used them this weekend).

Who's talking nonsense? You obviously post before thinking. Imagine if Kimi Raikkonen qualified as good as Romain Grosjean, where would he be in the standing now? Imagine if Romain Grosjean raced as good as Kimi Raikkoen does, where would he be in the standing now?

So the car is the problem?
You can set up the car for maximum speed in qualy or a more balanced(race pace too) approach a seasoned driver would choose. Guess who is who? Kobayashi is outqualifying Perez. Look who is going where? They probably need Kobayashi now for stability otherwise he would not race next year.

The device has taken too much effort and cost them dearly.
No other team went for it, probably for a reason.

A DDRS for qualy would have been 10 times easier and would have helped them alot since
grid position is important.

The top 5 teams all have 2 experienced drivers .
With almost no testing and not much track time during the year you really need to drivers who can develop the car
and make the judgements necessarry to be able to keep up in the developments race during the season.

Romain is just too weak in that respect. I hope he can contribute more next year.
Lotus seems to outthink themselves at times and does things that is creative and have potential,
it is great to have the ideas. They need to be better making the proper judgements beforehand though.

RB and Horner talks about small incremental gains added all the time. Not stellar ideas that turns the table completely.
I think Lotus needs to bring smaller updates more often and not one big package every 5th race.
Then it is easier to judge what works and not and how to work from.

They are definately too late with the coanda exhaust. That should have been a priority from early this season.
I really like the guts and ideas, they need to make the right decision more often and earlier.

Do the easy stuff and then add to that. DDRS and then additions. Not one Chabang.
2 seasons in a row they put too much effort into the wrong ideas.

They have anyway done a great season altogether.
Last edited by erikejw on 08 Oct 2012, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

dren

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2012

Dear Lotus,

Fire Grosjean, hire anybody else. Or elect to start Grosjean from the pits at the remaining races. At least he will have a chance of finishing and not risk anyone's championship fight. Then fire Grosjean at the end of the season, hire anybody else.
Honda!

stefan_
stefan_

Kimi stays with Lotus next year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feXakb2pn4U[/youtube]
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

dren

Good, I'm glad Kimi is staying. I think we all expected it, but it is good to see. Lotus will be very strong next year.
Honda!

munudeges
munudeges

Donuts wrote:So the car is the problem?
Yep, it quite clearly is when a pattern emerges over a whole season.

Despite some brief shining lights the Lotus just hasn't been as good as some around here wanted it to be, possibly to try and paint one or two drivers in a certain light. The updates they have brought are all too little, too late now. Still, onwards and upwards next year. It's Raikkonen's team now.

Cam

I wonder if the media hype hasn't played its part in the over expectations of Lotus. All in all, the've done a great job and they're knocking on the door. You'd expect 2013 to be much stronger. The drivers would have settled in, the team knows little ins and outs of the car and drivers (remember Kimi and the steering wheel saga early on), all that takes focus away from winning races. Plus they are obviously developing some nice features of the car (passive 2013 legal DDRS)which we might just see fine tuned this year for deployment next year.

I'd give Lotus a big B+ to A- this year, all things considered. They won't be able to rely on over hype next year for not taking another step forward.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

stefan_
stefan_

Lotus is a good team considering the fact that they don't have a huge budget. They beat the crap out of Mercedes this year and I think that is a big plus - with a little bit of luck they can jump over McLaren too in the final races (that would have probably happened by now without Romain's DNFs). The fact is that they are a team who have capable and working people who I think care more about actual racing rather than the scramble for political bulls**t.

Of course people wanted more when they saw that the team did good, but I think this season was more than decent for them considering the fact that they had an 100% new driver line-up - one of them being away from the sport for 2 years, and the other one being a semi-rookie with a not-so-good first stint in F1.
I expect something a little bit better from them next year because I consider that they know eachother pretty well by now, the drivers know who they are working with and the technical guys know what the drivers' prefferences are and they can implement that in the 2013 cars from the get-go.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

dren

This team is good. Bring back Flavio for some entertainment and you have the polar opposite to Raikkonen. It'll be great!

I expect the team to go even further with their carbon fiber techniques in next year's chassis. The car this year is so tightly packaged, it'll be even better next year. I'd like to see Raikkonen win again.
Honda!

matervam
matervam

YES!!!FINALY

siskue2005

Fantastic win for lotus, their first win since 1987 senna ?

Neno
Neno

siskue2005 wrote:Fantastic win for lotus, their first win since 1987 senna ?
for name lotus yes, since senna. for enstone from 2008. and japanese gp.

Richard
Richard

I think it is a better record to focus on the physical team rather than a cynical PR branding.. So that's the first win since Japan 2008.

The previous win in Singapore 2008 was marred by Piquet's "crash".

FrukostScones

Will they pay Kimi now? Liquidity problem rumors floated around.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

FrukostScones wrote:Will they pay Kimi now? Liquidity problem rumors floated around.
What kind of rumours?Can you be more precise?
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

FrukostScones

MarkedOne8 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Will they pay Kimi now? Liquidity problem rumors floated around.
What kind of rumours?Can you be more precise?
...In the paddock people tell each other that Lotus owes RaiKKonen his salary. Also the suppliers have not been paid since 6weeks. And if they can't pay back a loan guarantee to Proton to a certain deadline, Lotus F1 team will fall in the hands of Proton. The signs that Lotus is for sale accelerate.
MIchael Schmidt, AMUS Mag 24. 01.Nov.2012
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.