Codemasters F1 2011 - F1Technical Leagues

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What platform do you own this game for?

Xbox 360
13%
Playstation 3
50%
Windows (Steam)
38%

Total votes: 24

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: F1 2011 for xbox 360.

My recollection is that eau rouge is flat in f1 2012.

Of course being away at uni I havn't touched the game in a while. My general feeling was that with setup you had to set downforce near max for almost every track to get a level of performance in the corners comparable to F1 2010 or real life. The opposite was true in 2010. Never used more than 5/5 wing except at monaco.

When I first loaded it up, I tried albert park on 4/4 wings and couldn't even take turn 8 flat... had to crank the wings to near max to make it work, but it felt fine after that.

Also, 2010 had a stupid tendency where if you started to spin out, it wasn't really possible to catch it, which is BS because you see drivers doing that all the time. I'm glad they fixed that in 2011, though a lot of people seem to think that it made the game more twitchy.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:
ell66 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:I *still* can't get used to the tail happiness in 2011. My brain says "I know F1 drivers take this corner flat, I'll take it flat", and the game says "nah, you need two downshifts for that one".
really? any examples?

from my exerience i felt it was pretty realistic.
Eau Rouge is a great example – in reality, it was thought that they would still be flat through it (in qualifying) with DRS open in the top cars. in F1 2011 it requires 5th gear with DRS closed... or possibly 6th gear if you've got your setup spot on.
I use 7 front wing and 6 rear and Eau Rouge is still easy flat. I have DRS open for the first left kink, then as I'm changing direction to the right, just as my wheel passes "straight," I turn DRS off, and I do the bulk of my rotation there, to widen my entry into Raidillon. From there I open DRS again (so not long after my right tyre touches the kerb on the right) and I have DRS on all the way through to Les Combes at the end of Kemmel.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

jordangp wrote:An F1Technical F1 2011 Online Championship, sounds like a good idea to me... :wink:
please!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

beelsebob wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Cant wait for 2012. but what else can they improve ?

I felt 2011 was easier than 2010.
Odd, I find in 2010, I can catch the car if I slide, in 2011 I don't stand a chance. That said, I agree that in 2010 it was indeed pretty odd at times.

The one thing they can certainly improve in 2012 is the graphics – they actually regressed from 2010 to 2011.
In 2010 the brake was a sort of anti-spin control, In 2011, you gotta wind the opposite lock on to catch a slide, and you gotta do it quick. The main problem with both if these games is that when you play them online, EVERYBODY is using traction control and ABS, which is like 2 seconds a lap of help. I don't use TC or ABS because its not as fun, so, I get beat by chumps because they do use the TC and ABS

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Lycoming wrote:My recollection is that eau rouge is flat in f1 2012.
You mean 2011? 2012 isn't released yet. :mrgreen:

raymondu999

Is it really a help? I've felt that since I ditched those two systems I've gone quicker. The traction control (to me at least) seems to hold you to a traction level that is "less-than-100%" if that makes sense. I feel I can go quicker on the power without TCS.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

So what are the perfect set up's you guys have discovered for the cars for various tracks and conditions? Care to give me a little insight?

I've driven the MGP WO2 and the Red Bull so far but I prefer the Merc. Possibly cause i'm a Merc fan. The Bull actually handles better :P

raymondu999

To be fair I think the baseline setups are already circuit-optimised. The little setup that is still there is really for us to use other than to balance the car. Funny you like the Red Bull handling. I hate it.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

Maelstrom wrote:So what are the perfect set up's you guys have discovered for the cars for various tracks and conditions? Care to give me a little insight?

I've driven the MGP WO2 and the Red Bull so far but I prefer the Merc. Possibly cause i'm a Merc fan. The Bull actually handles better :P
On most tracks I use: {Frontwing:6, Rearwing:8},{Front roll bar:6,rear rollbar:3}, {frontrideheight:1, rear ride height:3,} {front spring:5,rear spring:3}, brakebias (f/r):46/54

This set-up greatly reduces tail-happiness, without really introducing understeer.

The Red Bull has silly grip levels

Lycoming
Lycoming

Maelstrom wrote:
Lycoming wrote:My recollection is that eau rouge is flat in f1 2012.
You mean 2011? 2012 isn't released yet. :mrgreen:
Derp. Good catch.

Personally I find I'm faster with no ABS or TC. I feel like TC full is too much of a nanny, while TC medium makes throttle response less predictable. ABS I find makes it more difficult to trail brake for the same reason, it interferes and what you do with the pedal doesn't correlate to what the car does.

I find I'm a lot faster online, but that would just be because I'm using a wheel. Of course some jerkwad will just not brake and run you off the road... I only play online doing coop with my friend... even then, in turkey, I made the slightest of contact with him and he spun off a half second later cause he was too eager on the throttle, and i got a drive through for it. Pretty appropriate that it happened at turkey considering the events of 2010.

As for setup, I start with wings. I find the lowest wing settings I feel comfortable with, ie. can take standard corners flat, etc. then set gearing to match. Always set ride height to minimum. Have not experimented with rake yet. After that, I do springs and ARB. I set them soft and balanced, usually 2-2 up to 5-5 depending on how much responsiveness the track demands. ARBs, I set front based on responsiveness and back to 11 every time. then, I max toe out front and max toe in rear. Rear camber to the smallest, then front camber as high as I can get away with depending on the tyre wear characteristics of the track. I adjust brake bias based on feel, set brake size smallest and pressure highest, and I'm done.

For a wet race, I will take the dry baseline, then soften the springs and front ARB, make front camber more positive, add more wing then change gears to match.

There's a more rigorous method of doing it, which I used in f1 2010, but I have not had enough time on the game yet to be developing setups more than what i have described above. The method I use here can be done in 5-10 minutes with some test laps.

The baseline setups are absolutely retarded. gearing doesn't really match wing levels, ARB/spring/camber/toe settings are absolutely ridiculous. Taking a few minutes and doing what I have just described was good for about 5 tenths to 1 second a lap for me.

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

raymondu999 wrote:To be fair I think the baseline setups are already circuit-optimised. The little setup that is still there is really for us to use other than to balance the car. Funny you like the Red Bull handling. I hate it.
Well.. i've not really played the game much at all. I borrowed it from a friend to play recently.

I felt the Red Bull was better in corners but had lesser speed on straights compared to the Merc. But I may be wrong. It was just a gut feeling.

Pierce89

Maelstrom wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:To be fair I think the baseline setups are already circuit-optimised. The little setup that is still there is really for us to use other than to balance the car. Funny you like the Red Bull handling. I hate it.
Well.. i've not really played the game much at all. I borrowed it from a friend to play recently.

I felt the Red Bull was better in corners but had lesser speed on straights compared to the Merc. But I may be wrong. It was just a gut feeling.
You're right.

raymondu999

It can carry a lot of lateral that's for sure. But the nose isn't as responsive as I'd like. I feel much happier in the McLaren
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Eau Rouge is a great example – in reality, it was thought that they would still be flat through it (in qualifying) with DRS open in the top cars. in F1 2011 it requires 5th gear with DRS closed... or possibly 6th gear if you've got your setup spot on.
I use 7 front wing and 6 rear and Eau Rouge is still easy flat. I have DRS open for the first left kink, then as I'm changing direction to the right, just as my wheel passes "straight," I turn DRS off, and I do the bulk of my rotation there, to widen my entry into Raidillon. From there I open DRS again (so not long after my right tyre touches the kerb on the right) and I have DRS on all the way through to Les Combes at the end of Kemmel.
Odd, that absolutely definitely 100% is not possible for me on the PS3 version, I spin as soon as I turn in even the slightest amount with that setup, with DRS closed I can make the first left, but lose it through the right hander.

The odd thing is that when playing F1 2010 online, I seem to be able to carry *way* more speed through high speed corners than anyone else (I'll often gain a whole second through maggots/beckets for example)... In F1 2011, I seem to be able to carry *way* less speed (I'll often simply spin out trying to not lose insane amounts of time).

beelsebob
beelsebob

Pierce89 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Cant wait for 2012. but what else can they improve ?

I felt 2011 was easier than 2010.
Odd, I find in 2010, I can catch the car if I slide, in 2011 I don't stand a chance. That said, I agree that in 2010 it was indeed pretty odd at times.

The one thing they can certainly improve in 2012 is the graphics – they actually regressed from 2010 to 2011.
In 2010 the brake was a sort of anti-spin control, In 2011, you gotta wind the opposite lock on to catch a slide, and you gotta do it quick.
I found that in 2010, I could catch a spin with opposite lock – more so, if the tail got slippy in a high speed turn, I could correct it before it was too much of a problem with a slight lift and opposite lock. In 2011, I find that, while I manage to catch the car early enough, the result is inevitably a massive tank slapper.
The main problem with both if these games is that when you play them online, EVERYBODY is using traction control and ABS, which is like 2 seconds a lap of help. I don't use TC or ABS because its not as fun, so, I get beat by chumps because they do use the TC and ABS
Hah, I had never even considered that other people would be using driver aids online >.<