turning vanes

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
greggy_thommo
greggy_thommo

turning vanes

What are turning vanes? Why are they called that? (Forgive my ignorance)

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Those white things in front of the radiator/sidepod intake. Main ideas: deflect part of the airflow around the car and remove part of the airflow from under the car and into the radiator/sidepod inlet. Also it smoothens some of the turbulence that comes from the front suspension.

mep

I thought the large part is called barge board.

Does anybody have pictures or drawings from the McLaren tuning vanes?
They are hard to see because of the black color.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 02 Sep 2009, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

Steven
Owner

Turning vanes as they were introduced are air guidance carbon plates that are attached to the monocoque and mainly placed in between the front wheels (that means you will be unable to see the largest part of the vanes when you look from the side of the car).

The big parts that are in front of the sidepod are called barge boards. You can see these at Williams, Ferrari, McLaren, Minardi (and possible some others).

Both are meant to do the same though: guiding air that comes from between the front wheels to help sidepod air intake and smooth airflow around the sidepod.

greggy_thommo
greggy_thommo

I also looked at the f1.com site - it seems quite clear to me that the turning vanes project horizontally from the bottom of the radiator intake (on the sidepod) towards the front of the car. Renault joined the turning vane to the bargeboard (the vertical bit) to strengthen it. My question is: what has it got to do with turning?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x