Rear Diffuser Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Resolution
Resolution

Rear Diffuser Design

Does anyone know about rear diffuser designs? What angle upward sweep should i be looking for approximately and over what sort of length.

Any help appriciated

Reso

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I have a Racecar Engineering issue where they talk about it...I'll try to find it and post back!

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Sorry can't help it only analysis the underbody inlet...and not the outlet (diffuser).

scarbs
scarbs

often 11-degrees is cited as the optimum

mep

Is the angle constant?
Does it increase maybe?

Why is the area in the mittle so strange formed?

mep

Diffuser picture
http://www.f1total.com/bilder/show.php? ... &d=4&b=011

(I don't know how to insert a picture)[/url]

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 02 Sep 2009, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

Hmmmm

What i would reccomend is looking at Bernoullis' equation. In this case it would be usefull to relate pressure and velocity. If you assume that the sides are sealed then you could use conservation of mass flow to deterimne the velocity at a particular point along the diffuser then determine the pressure.

what i can say is that solid fuel rocket motors typicaly have a diverging half angle ( angle between road and diffuser ) of 12 degrees.

also nozzles have what is called an area ratio or expansion ratio which is the ratio of areas between the throat and exit. This ratio is calculated by selecting some exit pressure - typically 1 atm. I imagine that you need a higher expansion ratio to create the desired low pressure under the car though so you might want to grab the ol thermos text book!

Im sure you knew all that stuff though.... so i probably didnt help much :s

good luck!

West
West

Diffusers have a maximum height of 125 mm i think
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

scarbs
scarbs

Diffuser design on F1 cars is seriously compromised. The floor is stepped so the outer sections of floor are higher than the centre, plus the lowest point of the floor is raised by the plank.
Then the size of the diffusers tunnels are limited within the regulations, the outer channels start at the front of the rear wheels and must finish by the wheels centre line, and reach no higher than 125mm. The larger central tunnel can extend to the rear of the car, but a flat floor must precede it up to the rear wheel centre line. The space created inside this tunnel is limited by the gearbox and differential, plus to some extent the rear crash structure.

Resolution
Resolution

ok guys thanks for the info, please if you have anymore please keep it comming!

West
West

http://www.toyota-f1.com/public/en/tech ... ersus.html

Check the bottom of the page to see the new floor regulations; basically a lot of the floor has been opened up this year.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

x