Cool(ing) pictures!

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Timstr
Timstr

Cool(ing) pictures!

Found these cool pictures of the various cooling setups in the pitlane.

FW27

RB01

MP4-20

F2005

TF-105

Steven
Owner

Really excellent pictures!
Have you taken these pictures yourself?

A note with McLaren: they seem to be the only team to have their radiators (except for Ferrari which have a splitted radiator, just like Sauber) leaning forward instead of sideways. Furthermore I think, especially compared to the RB1 that their exit exhaust seems rather small. I thought it would be beneficial for the engine to widen that up a little bit(?)
Last edited by Steven on 10 Apr 2005, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Timstr
Timstr

Oh no.. I wish I had taken them. They are from http://www.schlegelmilch.com/New/

RBR were talking about some cooling innovation at their launch.
The radiator's angle relative to the intake stream is almost nothing.

Steven
Owner

hmmm idd now that you mention it... well it has been used before. Don't know really what car it was but I've seen it, must be around 15 years ago. The idea then (and probably now with RBR too) is simply to make a good air guidance system that allows smooth airflow onto the radiator.
However I think with this thing the inner side of the sidepod will get extremely hot. I would not be wondered if they have the carbon covered with something very heat resistive.

A result of this setup would also be that you have limited with of the air intake but you could basically make that inlet as high as possible. Personally I see this as a much better way of cooling than the split radiator system.

EDIT: It's not clear on the picuture though but it could also be RBR is running a vertical split radiator system...

walter
walter

Also good to mention, RB1 has a heat shield that splits most of the incoming air from the radiators, and directs it to the engine, away from the exhaust. I'm guessing they figured out this is more efficient than letting the extremely hot air around the exhaust headers mix with the engine compartment. Makes me think that the air that just passed through the radiators is still not that hot and actually makes a difference for the engine block. Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think I have seen the shark gills on the RB1's sidepods either. Most likely due to the separation of the heat shield.