renault new aero

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bernard
bernard

renault new aero

Renault were trying these winglets on the frontwing in testing recently.
Interesting the way the winglets are mounted on the endplates so smoothly, reminds me of that one aircraft (can't remember it's name).
In the aircratft the solution reduces vortices (drag) I wonder if the idea behind that mounting is similar.
The actual winglets seem to serve as downforce generating elements(airfoil shape), with that slight slppe at the end directing the flow better.
For some reason they remind me of the Toyota version of the original Jordan "infront-of-the-sidepod-intake"-winglets. :P

edit: forgot to implement the picture

Scuderia_Russ

How is it that the low pressure on the underside of the extra wing section doesn't interfere with the high pressure on the top surface of the main wing plane beneath it?
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

bernard
bernard

Scuderia_Russ wrote:How is it that the low pressure on the underside of the extra wing section doesn't interfere with the high pressure on the top surface of the main wing plane beneath it?
Interesting question...
It probably does, but their simulations have shown the advantagesto be bigger than the disadvantages. Now they are just testing if that translates to the track.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

I can't see the piccie :(

kilcoo316 wrote:I can't see the piccie :(
Strange... try copying the url of the picture and pasting it in your browser. The picture works fine for me.

Alex4
Alex4

bernard wrote:
Scuderia_Russ wrote:How is it that the low pressure on the underside of the extra wing section doesn't interfere with the high pressure on the top surface of the main wing plane beneath it?
Interesting question...
It probably does, but their simulations have shown the advantagesto be bigger than the disadvantages. Now they are just testing if that translates to the track.
The gap seems to be wide enough to not create such effect. Similar gap like independent levels of horizontal plates on rear wing. Besides that the main part of the downforce here comes not from low presure itself but by projecting the airflow. (especially with front wing higher from the ground)

Seems like to allow udisturbed airflow off the flipped up parts of the front wing. And at the same time to guide air which comes above the front wing to flow higher and more above the sidepods than be pushed sideways to the monocoque in front of sidepod intakes (during turning on the inner side).
The horizontal inclination to the outside seems to the hint to the purpose (to act during turning).